• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] 2x2, Guimond method predicting separation

olinat

Hello,

I use the Guimond method and I like it very much :):). Most of my 2x2 solves are between 6s and 8s but I would like to be sub-6 without learning another method.

I think that the key point is predicting separation to avoid a look at the down face during the solve. How can I do that sytematically ? I know that the 2 down left pieces do not change but I don’t understand how and which other pieces I should track :eek:o_O. What are the important points for this prediction ?

Thanks

Oli

WoowyBaby

WCA
2018ISOM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I like Guimond too! Although most of the time I solve with other methods, when I do Guimond I like it.
You are correct, the biggest thing for you to get faster with it is to predict seperation, good job on getting that right!
I think the biggest thing to make this easier is to make sure your Corner Orientation is very short, only 4, maybe 4.5 moves on average, never taking more than 7. To achieve this, don't just look at one color pair (ex: white/yellow) but all three to give you better options, and try to get or force and R U R', R U2 R', or R U' R' CO case. Know that doing a single move changes CO, so you don't have to just take a bad case.
Long Corner Orientation solutions make predict seperation very difficult.
Another thing is if you have down left pieces same color then you can do orientation and seperation 2-gen which can be nice.

Walkthrough solve-
Scr: F2 R F' U F2 U' R' U F2
In this I see that both white/yellow and orange/red has one of the 3 easy cases, but orange/red has red bar on left (which means 2-gen), so Ill go with that.
Doing an x' rotation and doing U R' U R would solve the CO case, but I want to look for seperation. I see that the red pieces will form a bar on the right (from experience with R' U R' from making faces), so seperation is just R2 and that cancels with CO making my solution start with x' U R' U R.
This is as far as I see in inspection.
For PBL, I see diag on bottom and a bar on the top left, and I know my AUF will be a U' so I do my alg which is U' R' F R' F2 R U' R U'.
Scr: F R F U' R2 U' R2 F' U2
z
U2 R' U2 R // CO
U2 L2 U' L2 // Sep.
R' F R F' R U2 R' U R U2 R' // PBL

Scr: R' U' R2 U2 R' U R' F R2
z2 x'
U R' U2 R' U' R2 U' F2 R2 U
10 moves, 1-looked!

Scr: R' U2 R' U2 R F2 R' F U'
z y
R' U2 R' U R // CO + Sep.
D R2 U' B2 U2 R2 U' R2 U' // PBL

Scr: U' F2 U' F U R F' U2 R
x'
U R' U' R // CO
y' R2 U' R2 // Sep.
R2 U' R2 U2 y R2 U' R2 U' // PBL
Main answer to your question- Short CO solutions makes seperation much easier to predict, and if you practice tracking pieces sep will eventually become easy.

If you need anything else, I'll be happy to help!
Good luck with Guimond:D!

Last edited: