• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] 2x2 Discussion and Help

Duncan Bannon

Improving in comp is just going to take some practice. Lazor0Monkey has a good video about simulating comps that he loves. A lot of people do this to improve there official times. The main way to improve in 2x2 is algs. However, with Ortega you can drop about a second. (assuming 4.5 to 3.5). I however went from LBL (probably basically what your using) to CLL. If you are unfamiliar with CLL is goes like this:

1. Build a Layer
2. Do 1 of 42 algs to complete the cube!

It is 42 algs, but it is a stepping stone to full EG (well, it is part of EG, and EG is what the best 2x2"ers use). With CLL you can get sub 3 averages (and to about 2.5 if your good). I averaged about 4.5 when I switched to CLL. And as of a month or so ago, got an official 3.3 average and average right around that 3 mark. Hope this helped!

Hazel

Premium Member
I'm sub-4 on 2x2 and I just use Ortega. Practice with Ortega and learn a bunch of PBL algorithms, maybe learn some CLL as well, or at least some of the easy cases. After that, just make sure you can fully plan out your 1st fact in inspection, and solve a layer instead of a side when the case isn't too bad. Learn some tricks for making a layer, watching example solves by fast people is helpful. After that, just do a bunch of solves to practice everything.

AMCuber

What method do you use and how good is your TPS?
I actually averaged 5 seconds in Nats, so I no longer think this is an issue. I do not know how good my TPS is. But I am currently learning CLL and I have all sune cases menorized

Edwardtw92

HI, IM currently using Ortega method and i have an average of sub 15 how can I improve? (PB 5.03)

Duncan Bannon

Maybe!

I never used Ortega, but I used LBL and now have progressed on. I would start by making sure you plan your complete face in inspection. If possible work toward being able to see your OLL in inspection, but begin with just your face (if you can't already). Make sure you are using good algs. Cyotheking.com has good algs. In fact this page might help a lot: http://www.cyotheking.com/ortega/

Has really everything you need to know.

Predict your bar in inspection. Feel free to ask any questions! But please check out the link! Hope it helps.

Edwardtw92

Maybe!

I never used Ortega, but I used LBL and now have progressed on. I would start by making sure you plan your complete face in inspection. If possible work toward being able to see your OLL in inspection, but begin with just your face (if you can't already). Make sure you are using good algs. Cyotheking.com has good algs. In fact this page might help a lot: http://www.cyotheking.com/ortega/

Has really everything you need to know.

Predict your bar in inspection. Feel free to ask any questions! But please check out the link! Hope it helps.
THX, Thats where i earned part of my ortega, and im currently working on predicting the face in inspection

PapaSmurf

WCA
2016TUDO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'll go through each step:

Face- plan this in inspection and make sure you know where the bar is going to be and try and have it in the front. Also, be efficient and don't insert corners like you would on 3x3 if you don't have to. Also, do it on D not U.

OLL- use these algs (as they preserve D layer): R U R' U R U2 R' for sune.
R U2 R' U' R U' R' for anti sune
F R U R' U' F' for U
F R U R' U' R U R' U' F' for Pi
R2 U2 R' U2 R2 for H
R U R' U' R' F R F' for T
F R U' R' U' R U R' F' for L

Make sure you know these properly.

PBL- use algs that have the bar in front.
Solved on D: adjacent swap- T-perm, J-perm or R U2 R' U' R U2 L' U R' U' L
Diag swap- Y-perm or R U' R' U' F2 U' R U R' D R2
Bar on D: adjacent swap- R2 U' B2 R2 U2 R2 U R2
Diag swap- L D' L F2 L' D L'
Solved- R2 U' R' U L' U2 R U' R' U2
Diag on D: adjacent swap- R' U R' F2 R F' R
Diag swap- R2 F2 R2
Solved- R U' R' U' F2 U' R U R' D F2 R2 (this is just the diag on U alg cancelled into the diag on both).

You should be able to sub 2 all of these with minimal practice, and you should try to (with time) be able to see into oll in inspection. Once you want to commit to 2x2, learn either cll or eg-1 to improve.

Passcraft

i currently use one where i complete one layer then use (r u r' u r u2 r') and then when i get a comlete face i go back to the first side and od (r' u r' d2 r u' r' d2 r2 b

Mwaha

Hello, this is my first post...

So, I started to practice 2x2 two months ago,

and right now my PB is 2.85 and PB average is 4.98. (ao100 = 6.56)

I'm currently using Ortega method and I'm kinda stuck now...

I really want to get my time down below 4 seconds and so on.

Can anyone provide me with any tips or suggest other algorithm sets I can learn in order?

Duncan Bannon

Try this website - http://www.cyotheking.com/how-to-be-sub-x-on-2x2/

And this - http://www.cyotheking.com/ortega

After Ortega (which I would recommend to get faster with). Then learn CLL ( algs - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...MxiMX9a506JeAcLnUXZr8FgXAY/edit#gid=653202178).

So Ortega - CLL - EG is the basic progression.

Time Recommendation - Ortega (get) Sub 5. CLL (get) sub 4, EG-1 (get) Sub 2.75, EG-2 to whatever speed you wish (but can learn more things like SS, TCLL, L5C)

Hope it helps, feel free to ask more questions.

Edit- Welcome to the forums!

u Cube

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello, this is my first post...

So, I started to practice 2x2 two months ago,

and right now my PB is 2.85 and PB average is 4.98. (ao100 = 6.56)

I'm currently using Ortega method and I'm kinda stuck now...

I really want to get my time down below 4 seconds and so on.

Can anyone provide me with any tips or suggest other algorithm sets I can learn in order?
Okay I tend to average similar maybe a bit faster, I'm almost sub 4 with ortega. Learn 2 algs for each ol l so (this is for ortega btw if u don't learn cll) so you can skip bad cases like y on bottom solved on top. Also you should try to one look your ol l from inspection on easier scrambles

Mwaha

Thx everyone for the replies and resources ^^

Also I have qiyi qidi s right now...

I’m planning to buy mgc 2x2 or moyu weipo...

Would that help with my average?