• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] 2x2 Discussion and Help

greentgoatgal

I love 2x2, but I am fairly new to cubing in general. I average around 9-8 seconds with LBL and I am currently learning the y perm for last layer. I hear that Ortega can be faster, so I would just like to get some other opinions on what everyone else thinks is faster.

I don't really find Ortega to be faster. But I really haven't put much effort into it either.

There is a better alf than y perm. I'll see if I can find it for you.

CRL0312

WCA
2017LORE01
What Is Better, LBL Or Ortega?
I love 2x2, but I am fairly new to cubing in general. I average around 9-8 seconds with LBL and I am currently learning the y perm for last layer. I hear that Ortega can be faster, so I would just like to get some other opinions on what everyone else thinks is faster.
When I learned 2x2, I completely skipped LBL and went straight to Ortega, so I don’t have much experience with LBL, but as an ok solver (I know CLL and EG-1) I can personally say that since Ortega is only a few more algs than LBL and it can drop your time by a few seconds, it is worth learning. I didn’t get far into Ortega before learning CLL. Good Ortega algs here: http://www.cyotheking.com/ortega/

As for a better alg than Y-perm for a diagonal switch, you can find many variations here: https://www.speedsolving.com/forum/threads/fast-2x2-plls.30914/page-2#post-1257905, also many others, don’t be afraid to look it up.

Duncan Bannon

I am a Sub 6.5 solver with LBL. I am switching to CLL. Is anybody here doing the same thing. I want to have a conversation with them to keep me motivated to learn the 30 algs. Sort of a race thing, to learn full CLL then get say a Sub 4.5 Ao12 or something.Thanks!

Cameron Ray

WCA
2018RAYC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm currently working on learning CLL. I can do algorithms that I know at an OK speed. I really would like to get faster at executing them.

The bad part is, I am absolutely horrible at finger tricks. It is really hard to get a good solve unless I get a lucky OLL or PLL skip. Ortega is really bad for me. I get like 10-12 second solves... ON 2 x 2!

Another bad part, I find it EXTREMELY difficult to remember algs for CLL. I've tried everything! Breaking it down into triggers, not reading out the actual notations, you name it!

In February I have a competition to go to. I want to really improve my times.

If someone could help me get me up and running, that would be great!

Thanks!

WCA
2017BRYA06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am currently sub 5 with ortega so I hope this helps. First try to do the 1st side in less moves by cutting out all of those d moves, instead use u moves and insert from the back or side, you can use only 2 gen (R and U moves) once you have two pieces paired up (at least 19/20 times you get a scramble with one side that has two colors matched up!) here are some simple algorithms when 3/4 pieces are matching U R2 U' R2 inserts a piece from the front if the color is facing up (from the back U' R2 U R2), R U' R' inserts a piece from the front if the color is facing the right (from the back R' U' R), and from the front facing you U R U' R' (from the back U' R' U R) but most of the time you can cancel into them when inserting the first piece. And my last tip is to work on your algorithm recognition I am sub 5 currently with Ortega and have a sub 4 average, so you do not need to work on CLL algorithms yet, just work on ortega algorithms.

Duncan Bannon

I’m am 15 algs from full CLL. I was sub 6 with LBL. I would get better at Ortega or LBL before moving to CLL. Ortega is quite simple. I think @TipsterTrickster has the idea. Watch a video on Oretega walkthrough solves. That should really help. If you have any question feel free to ask.

EDIT- Try no to rotate the cube. Do U, U’ moves.

EDIT2- As long as your solutions are effiecient you “dont” need fast turning. If I have a 25 move solution and have 3-4 tps I can get a 6-8 second solve. I with LBL averaged 5-6 tps and 30 move count so I averaged 5.5-6 seconds. Oh and 6tps is that hard to achieved. If your plan face in inspection you can be looking for oll when excuting it. Then PBL when executing OLL.

Luke13

I have a 2x2 ao5 of 6 seconds and a PB of 0.928 im using oteaga and am learning CLL any tips for getting faster

WACWCA

WCA
2012CALL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I started making 1 look last slot algs for 2x2 a few months ago and I'm starting to learn them now. For when the last corner is oriented but not put in there is 162 algorithms, which can be divided further by the orientation of the inserted piece. Recognition is exactly the same as tcll and cll cases, there is 6 algs for any cll or tcll case that involves a corner facing upwards, so a case like the U OLL will have 2 sets of 6 differentiated by where the uninserted corner is located.
Algorithms are not bad, many are very short, like 6 moves, and other are cancellations into algorithms that can executed quite nicely.

What i've done so far can be found in here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...xiMX9a506JeAcLnUXZr8FgXAY/edit#gid=1203930269

WACWCA

WCA
2012CALL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
@WACWCA Have you looked into this?

For sure @2:00 - @2:20
Well I believe I actually know this technique already, I just refer to it as pseudo CLL. I don’t use it much because other methods are usually much more apparent, and this adds another auf. I do use it when I already have the bottom side set up, which looks like in the video, or as a full bar of the opposite color, and my times are about the same with it

If you know CLL or EG as your main method though, it could be useful since you don’t have to learn new algorithms, since it’s basically intuitive TCLL

Duncan Bannon

Is there any 2x2 algs you don't know ;) How is making 1 Look Last Slot working? Also your "Best 2x2 Algs" Doc is quite nice, thank you and the other people who helped make it.