• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] 2x2 Discussion and Help

WCA
2015MANS03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey, I have a question, so basically I started to learn CLL on 2x2, and I have down the Pi and H sets pretty well. I also know all the Sunes, but I don't have it down as well. I know how to memorize algs and recognize cases, but I don't have any motivation to finish learning it, but I really want to learn full CLL. Help?

just do solves for a week or so and use the algs you know when the cases come up. After that, you will be used to the algs and will be able to comfortably start another set. Try the U set next, its pretty easy (you probably know 2-3 of them already)

DELToS

just do solves for a week or so and use the algs you know when the cases come up. After that, you will be used to the algs and will be able to comfortably start another set. Try the U set next, its pretty easy (you probably know 2-3 of them already)

Well, I was more asking where to get motivation to learn more algs

cuberkid10

WCA
2010HULL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
You might not believe it, but Ortega can get you super fast times with practice. I average 3.5-4 seconds with ortega, even though I use CLL now, anyone who thinks that they need to learn a faster method, you can always get better! : D
Yes, I agree. It's a nice stepping stone to learning more 2x2 stuff. It teaches you good techniques. I average low-3 with Ortega and I have an official 2.99 with it as well. :)

youSurname

How do people do the x2 rotation for Diag swap on bottom (Ortega)? This is by far my least favourite case and the rotation eats up a fair bit of time.

D

Deleted member 29232

Use this alg and cancel into R2 F2 R2
R U' R' U' F2 U' R U R' D R2

its way faster

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
How do people do the x2 rotation for Diag swap on bottom (Ortega)? This is by far my least favourite case and the rotation eats up a fair bit of time.
Don't rotate - find an alg that swaps on bottom. I just cancel my usual Y-perm into R2 F2 R2 which is long so I won't post it - better algs exist.

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
Use this alg and cancel into R2 F2 R2
R U' R' U' F2 U' R U R' D R2

its way faster

I'm wanting to change T and Y perm in Ortega for 2x2 specific algs that also can be cancelled into R2 F2 (or B2) R2 and this looks like the best one out there for Y-perm. My only problem is that I'm at the moment faster with Y-perm than with this one (for diag on top). But for diag on bottom I'm almost equally faster (after 5 min of practicing this alg) with alg with cancellation than with z2 + Y-perm.

Should I just adopt both and hope that, for diag on top, even if at the beginning I'm losing like 0.3s, when I get more used to it I'll be faster?

Also, would you recommend to change T-perm as well? Chris Olson has a nice regripless alg in his Ortega/Varasano page for adj. swap on top: R' U R' F2 R F' R' F2 R2
but nothing for adj. swap on bottom.

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Also, would you recommend to change T-perm as well? Chris Olson has a nice regripless alg in his Ortega/Varasano page for adj. swap on top: R' U R' F2 R F' R' F2 R2

R2 U' R' U L' U2 R U' R' U2

= [R2 U': L perm]

also,
x U2' R' F' R U2' R' U L' U' L2
x' U2 R' U' R U2' L' U R' U' R2
R U' R' U' F R2 U' R' U R' F' R
R U' R' F' R U2' R' U R' F' R2 U' R'

mafergut

WCA
2018GUTI13
YouTube
Visit Channel
R2 U' R' U L' U2 R U' R' U2

= [R2 U': L perm]

also,
x U2' R' F' R U2' R' U L' U' L2
x' U2 R' U' R U2' L' U R' U' R2
R U' R' U' F R2 U' R' U R' F' R
R U' R' F' R U2' R' U R' F' R2 U' R'

That 1st alg is really nice!!!!! And also regripless. I have already learned both diag swaps (with the R2 B2 R2 cancellation for diag swap on bottom). Now it's turn to learn both T-perm alternatives. Thanks!

Edit: learned, now some solves to actually let the new algs settle.

Last edited:

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
This one can be adapted for all 4 swap cases.
R' U R' F2 R F' R' F2 R2
(R2 U') R' U R' F2 R F' R' F2
R' U R' F2 R F' (U) R' F2 (R F' R)
R' U R' F2 R F' (U) R' F2 (R F' R' F2 R2)

The last one is the diag swap on bottom that I mentioned before - the alg with the D move is shorter, but I just like this one for some reason. It feels good :)

Aerith

How do I get faster in 2x2

My times for the last 5 solves were : 15 secs, 16 secs 24 secs 19 secs and 18 secs? right now im using the rubiks 2x2 and I will consider changing it..

WCA
2013BARK01
If you are using the Rubik's 2x2, honestly invest in a better cube and it will cut a good 5 seconds (at least) off of your time within a day of practice. Other than that, learn more algs. You didn't give very much detail, but one thing that would help would be learning a few more algs.

CubePro

YouTube
Visit Channel
He's beginner. So he probably doesn't know the Y-Perm or the T-Perm(He can do with the Aa but the T-Perm is much better). So he'll have to learn like 5 algs or even >5 if he wants to learn them from other angles. And IMO Varasano algs are just okay-ish. So it isn't a necessity to learn Varasano at this stage.