• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] 2x2 Discussion and Help

Coolster01

WCA
2011SBAH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Which sets of algs? Quite curious which ones are bad.

looool, just started going through algs for CLL and the second alg I see is nubby -- the diagsune xDDDDDDDD

You: U' R' F R2 F' R U2 R' U' R2
Everybody else: U' R' F R2 F' U' R' U' R2 U R'

There aren't actually that many bad ones. Just a few, but it depends on turning style (if you can do F' like a boss, then the Chris's diagsune is for you).

Rubiks560

Nub
WCA
2009OLSO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
looool, just started going through algs for CLL and the second alg I see is nubby -- the diagsune xDDDDDDDD

You: U' R' F R2 F' R U2 R' U' R2
Everybody else: U' R' F R2 F' U' R' U' R2 U R'

There aren't actually that many bad ones. Just a few, but it depends on turning style (if you can do F' like a boss, then the Chris's diagsune is for you).

Ah. I suppose in that case it would be preference. I thought you meant like the alg was just pure trash.
I still love my diag sune XD

scottishcuber

WCA
2013MAHM02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Which sets of algs? Quite curious which ones are bad.

Tbh yours is the best collection because you have all sets. It's just a few cases here and there, and with EG2 there are quite a few more bad algs.

Simple things like R2 F2 R2 F' R U R' U' R' F R instead of just doing F2 R2' F R U R' U' R' F R.

or U R' U R' U2 R U' R' U R U' B2 R2 instead of R2 F2 R U R' U2 R U' R' U R U' R2

2x2 methods

I've just got a 2x2 speed cube and would like to get faster. I have currently been solving it with a simplified version of CFOP that I use to solve the 3x3.

So far I have only found Ortega. From what I can tell I can use my OLL algs which are slightly slower and I just need to learn some XLL (not sure the exact name) to permutate the cube at the end.

What other methods are there? Any links to comparisons? Any links to guides for them?

Thanks

StachuK1992

statue
WCA
2008KORI02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I've just got a 2x2 speed cube and would like to get faster. I have currently been solving it with a simplified version of CFOP that I use to solve the 3x3.

So far I have only found Ortega. From what I can tell I can use my OLL algs which are slightly slower and I just need to learn some XLL (not sure the exact name) to permutate the cube at the end.

What other methods are there? Any links to comparisons? Any links to guides for them?

Thanks

https://www.speedsolving.com/wiki/index.php/Category:2x2x2_speedsolving_methods

The next logical progression is to learn CLL.
You can find some algs here: http://algdb.net/ although the site's a bit messy right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

dannah

sub10 help on 2*2*2

i figured that as i am sub 30 on 3*3*3 i should average around 10 seconds on 2*2*2,using logic, but i average around 18 seconds using many different algorithims from different beginner methods, but i do not know how to get faster at 2*2*2, there are no videos, the world record solve was 0.69 seconds but he only did three moves, can you actually do 3 moves to solve it commenly?

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
1) "i should average around 10 seconds on 2*2*2,using logic," - this is meaningless; you have to practice each event separately
2) "i do not know how to get faster at 2*2*2, there are no videos" - there are plenty of videos on youtube; I recommend Ortega for a beginner, and you can learn CLL or EG later if you want to get super fast
3) "the world record solve was 0.69 seconds but he only did three moves, can you actually do 3 moves to solve it commenly?" - it was 4 moves and no, of course not, a 4 move solve is very lucky and scrambles may take up to 11 moves to solve optimally

Thecuber1

WCA
2014WALD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
What I would do is become color neutral on 2x2, especially because if you have a really easy first layer (LBL) and use good 2x2 OLL's, not 3x3 ones. Most cases are easy triggers, like the chameleon case, which is just sexy move, sledgehammer. (R U R' U') (R' F R F'). Also, learn complete PLL because it is just 2 cases and you can find really easy algorithms. I recommend CrazyBadCuber's LBL tutorial, which is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H-AwD4gyTA