• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] 2x2 Discussion and Help

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
ortega, sometimes lbl to practice layer
I used to avg about 6 but now it's around 6.5 because I've gotten lazy

povlhp

I am a relative n00b - started in december (but 53 yo), still around 1 minute. Learned 4LLL, and now uses Roux.
Have my 2x2s coming in the mail today. So how should I use solve them ?
Should I just do some simple first layer (with edges), and then 2-look CMLL where I do not yet know the full CMLL algorithm ?
Not sure I want to learn all of ortega - how important 2x2 will be to me, I am just about there with T-case (My first) in CMLL. And Ortega is just one one algo from each case + the PBL algos.

I also think that a 2x2 would be useable as a CMLL practice cube ? It is all about recognizing corners and turning them. And having the simple cube will allow me to churn lots of algos faster.

I also love my larger cubes 4x4..6x6, and will likely buy MGC 7x7 soon.

On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am a relative n00b - started in december (but 53 yo), still around 1 minute. Learned 4LLL, and now uses Roux.
Should I just do some simple first layer (with edges), and then 2-look CMLL where I do not yet know the full CMLL algorithm ?
Not sure I want to learn all of ortega - how important 2x2 will be to me, I am just about there with T-case (My first) in CMLL. And Ortega is just one one algo from each case + the PBL algos.

I also think that a 2x2 would be useable as a CMLL practice cube ? It is all about recognizing corners and turning them. And having the simple cube will allow me to churn lots of algos faster.

If you're learning CMLL, why bother learning ortega?
You can use CMLLs since recognition is the same but you will have to change a few algorithms though.
You can use a 2x2 as a CMLL practice cube but the fingertricks for 2x2 are different than those for 3x3 so may be unable to transfer your experience to a 3x3

BenChristman1

WCA
2019CHRI11
SS Competition Results

I would just learn Ortega. It’s only 12 algs total (you probably already know at least 2 of them), and you can get really fast with it if you practice enough.

povlhp

Realized how simple it was. Only 3 new algorithms for PBL. And one is 3 moves. Got it down quickly. Now I just hate it when edges are matching on first layer. That gives the longer 3x3 swap in the end.

Reactions: qwr

qwr

YouTube
Visit Channel
Realized how simple it was. Only 3 new algorithms for PBL. And one is 3 moves. Got it down quickly. Now I just hate it when edges are matching on first layer. That gives the longer 3x3 swap in the end.
if you mean the first layer is complete, then I think there's a 1/6 chance of skipping any swap at the end. but if you learn CLL, it becomes a 100% chance!

povlhp

if you mean the first layer is complete, then I think there's a 1/6 chance of skipping any swap at the end. but if you learn CLL, it becomes a 100% chance!
I am slowly learning CMLL which help in the case. Saw a calculation that if you do not know CxLL then First layer complete is 12 moves and incomplete approx 8.3

On a long train journey, Smashin' PBs one a stop
YouTube
Visit Channel
So I finished CLL about a week ago, and I've done about 700 solves, and I average sub 5. How do I get faster with CLL?
Drill your algs and make sure your layers are efficient. A couple thousand solves should do it.

(Says so the guy who was sub 3 with CLL and then forgot his algs and got his 2x2 broken lol)

I’m having a little bit of trouble getting faster a 2 by 2. I am using Ortega. I have a good speed cube. I have an upper 6 sec average. Would love to get it down to 3 or 4 sec or hopefully faster. Any ideas?

ruffleduck

YouTube
Visit Channel
I’m having a little bit of trouble getting faster a 2 by 2. I am using Ortega. I have a good speed cube. I have an upper 6 sec average. Would love to get it down to 3 or 4 sec or hopefully faster. Any ideas?
Can't really help much unless you upload some solves. All I can give is generic advice: plan further into inspection, turn improve your turning, improve your recognition.