• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 35,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] 2x2 Discussion and Help

Hello guys, this is my first thread here and I have one simple question:

How do I improve my 2x2 solves?

I currently use beginner's method and I'm trying to learn the Ortega Method. My best 2x2 single time is 10.55 seconds, and my current average of 5 is 22.17 seconds and my average of 12 is 18.54. One thing I struggle with is memorizing the algorithms for the Ortega method.

If any one could help me, thanks!

tomogorman3

Hey all!!

been really getting into the 3x3 so i bought a 2x2! I have solved it a few times but now when i solve the first face (in prep for ortega method) or the first layer (in beginners method) then when i come to do OLL then none of the yellow tiles match the seven possible algorithms?!?! Often i’ll have three yellownon top (assuming i solve white first) or one on top with two in the correct place as per the algorithm picture and one in the wrong place!!
I’m super confused about what to do?!?! The few times i have solved it i’ve done the first layer and then the OLL matches exactly the patterns for the algorithms.
Any help would be awesome!
Tom

TheLegend12

you might need to rotate the top layer to match it up. But I don't know you may have a corner twist. I have never had that problem and i know Ortega.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Hey all!!

been really getting into the 3x3 so i bought a 2x2! I have solved it a few times but now when i solve the first face (in prep for ortega method) or the first layer (in beginners method) then when i come to do OLL then none of the yellow tiles match the seven possible algorithms?!?! Often i’ll have three yellownon top (assuming i solve white first) or one on top with two in the correct place as per the algorithm picture and one in the wrong place!!
I’m super confused about what to do?!?! The few times i have solved it i’ve done the first layer and then the OLL matches exactly the patterns for the algorithms.
Any help would be awesome!
Tom
Yeah it sounds like a corner twist. The best way to fix it is to solve the white face, do a alg to get the 3 yellows on top and the one yellow corner that is not on top, twist that corner to put yellow on top. Please not though that when you twist the corner, be very careful as if it i to tight or you twist roughly you can ruin/break the corner, so again make sure you loosen the cube some, or dissemble the cube and reassemble it correctly.