• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] 2x2 Discussion and Help

Hello guys, this is my first thread here and I have one simple question:

How do I improve my 2x2 solves?

I currently use beginner's method and I'm trying to learn the Ortega Method. My best 2x2 single time is 10.55 seconds, and my current average of 5 is 22.17 seconds and my average of 12 is 18.54. One thing I struggle with is memorizing the algorithms for the Ortega method.

If any one could help me, thanks!

tomogorman3

Hey all!!

been really getting into the 3x3 so i bought a 2x2! I have solved it a few times but now when i solve the first face (in prep for ortega method) or the first layer (in beginners method) then when i come to do OLL then none of the yellow tiles match the seven possible algorithms?!?! Often i’ll have three yellownon top (assuming i solve white first) or one on top with two in the correct place as per the algorithm picture and one in the wrong place!!
I’m super confused about what to do?!?! The few times i have solved it i’ve done the first layer and then the OLL matches exactly the patterns for the algorithms.
Any help would be awesome!
Tom

TheLegend12

you might need to rotate the top layer to match it up. But I don't know you may have a corner twist. I have never had that problem and i know Ortega.

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Hey all!!

been really getting into the 3x3 so i bought a 2x2! I have solved it a few times but now when i solve the first face (in prep for ortega method) or the first layer (in beginners method) then when i come to do OLL then none of the yellow tiles match the seven possible algorithms?!?! Often i’ll have three yellownon top (assuming i solve white first) or one on top with two in the correct place as per the algorithm picture and one in the wrong place!!
I’m super confused about what to do?!?! The few times i have solved it i’ve done the first layer and then the OLL matches exactly the patterns for the algorithms.
Any help would be awesome!
Tom
Yeah it sounds like a corner twist. The best way to fix it is to solve the white face, do a alg to get the 3 yellows on top and the one yellow corner that is not on top, twist that corner to put yellow on top. Please not though that when you twist the corner, be very careful as if it i to tight or you twist roughly you can ruin/break the corner, so again make sure you loosen the cube some, or dissemble the cube and reassemble it correctly.

Migraine

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey, I still use LBL(beginners method) on 2x2 and I would like tips to improve.
As of right now my PB is around 6.3 and I really want to get faster.
I average around 11 seconds, Ive tried to learn Ortega but im having trouble memorizing and most of my Ortega solves are < 20 seconds.
Heres a video of a 6.8 solve I just got youtu.be/GLmCFqaC1wA
~Lemon/Migraine

Zarxrax

Hey, I still use LBL(beginners method) on 2x2 and I would like tips to improve.
As of right now my PB is around 6.3 and I really want to get faster.
I average around 11 seconds, Ive tried to learn Ortega but im having trouble memorizing and most of my Ortega solves are < 20 seconds.
Heres a video of a 6.8 solve I just got youtu.be/GLmCFqaC1wA
~Lemon/Migraine
Just keep practicing your ortega algs and recognition, and do a couple thousand solves. You just need to do it so much that it starts to become automatic and you don't need to think much. Are there any particular algs you have trouble with?

sql_cs

Hi, I started cubing very recently, and I got myself a Yuxin little magic 2x2. I have been trying to use Ortega, and I know all of the algorithms, and my goal is to be sub-10.
Right now I average 12-13 seconds, but I think one problem is that I do some algorithms too slowly. Also, I take too long to recognize pbl or oll.
If anyone has any tips, please reply. Thanks

alexiscubing

WCA
2018HIRS04
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have been using ortega for about 8-10 months now and have gotten to the verge of sub 3 with it. I do not care too much about 2x2 but it is one of my main events. I am doing quite well at the moment so am not looking to switch, but was wondering when everyone else switched to EG or CLL.

Zarxrax

Well, I've not really heard of people getting much faster than that with Ortega... I think few people have ever taken ortega to sub 3.

Duncan Bannon

I have been using ortega for about 8-10 months now and have gotten to the verge of sub 3 with it. I do not care too much about 2x2 but it is one of my main events. I am doing quite well at the moment so am not looking to switch, but was wondering when everyone else switched to EG or CLL.
Sub 3 is really good with Ortega. I switched from LBL to CLL at around 5 seconds. If you care about 2x2, I would switch for sure. It makes everything alot easier.

alexiscubing

WCA
2018HIRS04
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello guys, this is my first thread here and I have one simple question:

How do I improve my 2x2 solves?

I currently use beginner's method and I'm trying to learn the Ortega Method. My best 2x2 single time is 10.55 seconds, and my current average of 5 is 22.17 seconds and my average of 12 is 18.54. One thing I struggle with is memorizing the algorithms for the Ortega method.

If any one could help me, thanks!
1. Solve an adjacent swap on bottom
2. do OLL. After this step you can get one of three PBL cases (R2 F2 R2, R' F R' F2 R U' R, Y perm on bottom
3. Y perm on bottom is a rly bad case but when you get it do R' F R' F2 R U' R Jperm
4. The other two cases are rly fast and can be executed sub 1