• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Official] 25.06 Square-1 Average (Yau-1 Method)

Mollerz

Swag Overlord
WCA
2011MOLL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
20.22 , 22.82, 32.13, (18.17), (33.51) = 25.06
Cube: Mo Fang Ge - QiYi Square-1

This cube is amazing, shame about the counting 32, but I didn't average below 30 before this competition. This square-1 dropped by average by 5 seconds instantly, and I got quite lucky in this average.

My recognition is pretty bad, I am not used to this colour scheme at all...

The Yau-1 method that I am using in this video is a prototype method, there are some changes coming, it is not published yet, don't expect it to be published for a while. The steps I used in this video are as follows:

Cubeshape, 3/4 of D layer (All but 1 edge and 1 corner, the 2 unsolved pieces must be attached), Last 5 Corners, Last 5 Edges.

I don't know full L5E yet, I know over half of it now though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mollerz

Swag Overlord
WCA
2011MOLL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Cool, what made you favour this over Vandenbergh?

I feel like Vandenbergh is very structured, and I don't particularly like this. Recognise case, do algorithm, repeat x5. I also REALLY hate PBL, some algorithms for it are truly awful. I like the blockbuilding aspect as well, you get a lot more freedom. Also the L5E algs are generally really good, even the parity cases.

EDIT: I'm also a massive hipster so being the only one to use this method is cool.

biscuit

WCA
2015WEBS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sq-1 really seems to be makign a surge recently. More viable (or at least possibly viable) methods is always a good thing!

Oh, and when are you going to start streaming again Mollerz?!

Mollerz

Swag Overlord
WCA
2011MOLL01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Looks pretty cool. I don't think I'd ever be able to get used to the block building though. What changes are you thinking of making?

Change the 3/4D to CECEC, Rob has been calling it "Boomerang" and then when you solve L5C you also solve RD at the same time. Doesn't really make 2nd step any longer and cuts down the length of blockbuilding. That last edge is troublesome sometimes.

Sq-1 really seems to be makign a surge recently. More viable (or at least possibly viable) methods is always a good thing!

Oh, and when are you going to start streaming again Mollerz?!

I have awful internet where I live at the moment, so not soon. :(

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yau-1, or Squangular Franc1sco? :p

Looks like an interesting method. I don't have a good enough handle on Square-1 to know what has good algs and what doesn't, but I do like how you don't have to look at the bottom much after the blockbuilding. 25 average is pretty decent, I wonder how fast it can get?

Robert-Y

WCA
2009YAUR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I haven't generated all the algs for L5C+RD yet. Also I want to generate algs for L5E+middle layer. The number would be roughly #L5E * 2 because I always build with the same colour on bottom (white). I don't plan on being "layer neutral". I'm not sure if that's worth it...

vcuber13

WCA
2009METH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Change the 3/4D to CECEC, Rob has been calling it "Boomerang" and then when you solve L5C you also solve RD at the same time. Doesn't really make 2nd step any longer and cuts down the length of blockbuilding. That last edge is troublesome sometimes.

I would think the easiest way is to build the DL CEC block and then pair either DR-DRF or DR-DRB, then to finish 3/4 of D just AUF and M2.

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I feel like Vandenbergh is very structured, and I don't particularly like this. Recognise case, do algorithm, repeat x5.

That's kind of a mischaracterization of the method. There is plenty of room to influence what cases you get in the next step with things like EOCP and EP control during CP.

This method seems pretty cool though; I'll mess around with it some once it's published. I'm too lazy to try to develop anything independently now.

blade740

Mack Daddy
WCA
2007NELS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
That's kind of a mischaracterization of the method. There is plenty of room to influence what cases you get in the next step with things like EOCP and EP control during CP.

This method seems pretty cool though; I'll mess around with it some once it's published. I'm too lazy to try to develop anything independently now.

I was going to post the same thing but didn't think it contributed much. That's exactly why I like sq1, because it's as far as possible from mindless case-alg-case-alg-case-alg.