• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

15 Puzzle Home Thread

CLL Smooth

WCA
2012LOET01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hello, can anyone solve this? It's basically 15-puzzle but with numbers 1-8. The right one is how the left should look like in 62 moves
Yes. Is 62 moves important because I didn’t count? If the last three numbers don’t work out then you’ll need to swap two of the same number.

Natanael

WCA
2018LUND01
I just found a better way: empty tile below 8 and do: R D L U L D RR U LL D R U, these are some I found myself, there are probably better ones.

Etotheipi

What methods do you guys use for 15 puzzle? My method is to solve 1 2 3 4 5 9 and 13, to reduce it to a 3x3 grid, then solve 6 7 8 10 and 14, then just cycle the last 3 pieces. I came up with this on my own, so its probably quite bad, but methods do you people use?

Ben Whitmore

That's the fringe method, which is the best method. There aren't really any other methods (on small puzzles, anyway) other than solving row by row. But since square puzzles usually take fewer moves than long rectangular puzzles with the same number of tiles, fringe is usually a bit more efficient than row by row.

Etotheipi

That's the fringe method, which is the best method. There aren't really any other methods (on small puzzles, anyway) other than solving row by row. But since square puzzles usually take fewer moves than long rectangular puzzles with the same number of tiles, fringe is usually a bit more efficient than row by row.
Ok then. =P Thanks.

CodingCuber

WCA
2019HERR14
So I got a 15 puzzle and I made up this method to solve it. Someone else probably already created it before me but yeah.

First, you do the top layer and the numbers along the vertical line on the left.
image.jpg
Now, you have reduced the rest to a 3x3 grid and you just solve the rest.
image.jpg

The FitnessGram Pacer Test is a multi stage...
So I got a 15 puzzle and I made up this method to solve it. Someone else probably already created it before me but yeah.

First, you do the top layer and the numbers along the vertical line on the left.
View attachment 11604
Now, you have reduced the rest to a 3x3 grid and you just solve the rest.
View attachment 11605
Yup, that’s called fringe. Nice job discovering that out.

DerpBoiMoon

YouTube
Visit Channel
New pb 51.37

Shoot, just got a 37.3!

My real life one is so bad. Should I get the qiyi one?
Yes, you should.

I'm pretty mediocre at 15puzl (used to average 17 on slidysim) but generally you should know immediately which pieces go where (i.e. you should know 1,2,3,4 are the top row and 1,5,9,13 are the left column). Do a hundred solves and it should become second nature. Also, don't stare at the pieces you're solving; look at the pieces you need to solve next.

As far as virtual 15 puzzle goes, keyboard controls are probably easier to get fast at than mouse/touch controls.