Yeah because there aren't enough comps in that area already.
In all seriousness though, Nats will most likely be there too often to have a yearly...
There are a lot in Georgia. You may have to travel if you want to go to some.
If you don't want to travel, however, try organizing one in your area. If there is enough interest to have one, make one. Sometimes you have to be the one to light the fuse. There are a few tutorials out there to help...
I'm back from the dead
Race to sub 11
Generated By csTimer on 2017-8-10
avg of 12: 12.94
1. 13.08 L F2 U F2 L2 D B2 U B2 U B L B' D' B2 F' D R2 D
2. 14.48 L' B2 U2 L2 U L2 F2 D U2 L2 B2 U' B D' L' U B F L U2 R
3. 10.19 L2 D2 U2 B U2 L2 D2 U2 F2 D2 U' L' B' U' F' U2...
Race to sub 11
Generated By csTimer on 2017-7-9
avg of 12: 11.99
1. 11.73 F D2 L2 B2 R2 F2 U2 B' R2 F2 L2 U F' L' B2 D' B L' D L F'
2. 11.46 U2 F2 D2 B' D2 R2 B F D2 F' U2 L B U' R2 D' U' F' D L' B
3. 12.53 R2 B' R2 F2 U2 F2 U2 L2 U' R B2 F2 L' B2 L U2 F' D'...
But as you said earlier
Hardware should be no reason to add or remove an event. We saw what happened with skewb when it was added in 2014. The hardware was garbage at first, but it progressed A LOT better.
Also, clock has been an event for a long time and removing it because a certain brand...
It isn't any different of a solve then 3x3, though. I don't think that any of the 3x3 shape mods will be added at all unless the WCA is that desperate. We should try and find puzzles that
1- bring a new idea to the WCA
2- have a unique solving experience
3- have enough of a community interest...