Recent content by Voltara

  1. V

    vcube optimal solver

    I have just released the source code for vcube, a fast optimal Rubik's Cube solver. It is a rewrite of one of the solvers behind my "optimal scrambler" that I posted about several months ago. The code, which is licensed GPLv3, is available on Github at: https://github.com/Voltara/vcube This...
  2. V

    Can kociemba or other method solve the Rubik in 5 faces turn only?

    Great work. It's nice to see a fresh Mindstorms solver design. I played around with David Gilday's MindCub3r a while back, and replaced the solver with my own. (There is a video here.) My strategy for resolving colors was to minimize the sum of variances of each color component (R, G, B)...
  3. V

    Looking for Cubesmith Tiles

    They were made from clear LEXAN film, 10mil thick. I believe he got the material from Tekra (https://www.tekra.com/products/brands/lexan). The adhesive was 3M 200MP with 467MP transfer tape. Colors were sceen printed on the back side (the adhesive side) of the tiles. They were available in...
  4. V

    Software Upgrades Today

    Thanks for looking into it. I wrote a TamperMonkey script to work around the issues. It provides more consistent behavior for the digit hotkeys by coordinating key modifiers between the keypress/keyup events, and by replacing Alt-# with Ctrl-# to avoid conflicting with my browser's...
  5. V

    Software Upgrades Today

    The tab navigation keys are built into my browser, so it's not something I can easily change. I experimented a bit more with this issue, and it seems to be a consequence of the forum software triggering navigation on the "keyup" event, without checking that a corresponding "keydown" event was...
  6. V

    Software Upgrades Today

    The new forum software added some frustrating hotkeys. Pressing the "1" key redirects me to the home page, "3" redirects me to the wiki, etc. These frequently trigger when I use Alt-# to switch between tabs in my browser; for example, when I use Alt-1 to switch back to my forum tab, the "1"...
  7. V

    StackMat G4 signal glitch?

    To follow up on my previous post, the 555-based circuit worked just fine, but I came up with an even simpler way to modulate the Stackmat signal. This new version is passively powered - no batteries needed. Other than the TRRS jacks/plugs, all it requires are: 2 1k resistors 1 1.6k resistor...
  8. V

    StackMat G4 signal glitch?

    I got a couple of parts in the mail today, so I'm back experimenting with the G4's signal. My Moto X Gen 2's captured signal looks basically identical to the one you documented: a high-pass filtered square wave. Since I was curious about the iPhone signal which looked particularly bad, I...
  9. V

    StackMat G4 signal glitch?

    Thanks for the replies. I will experiment more with the hardware when I get an opportunity to borrow a scope (though the one likely available to me is not a storage scope, so it may be of limited use.) Another idea might be to connect it to an Arduino board and have it time the pin change...
  10. V

    StackMat G4 signal glitch?

    I purchased a StackMat G4 timer to experiment writing software to interface it with my computer. While doing that, I encountered a semi-frequent glitch in the output signal that causes single-bit errors in the data. Here's what the glitch looks like: https://imgur.com/a/QHMC56d What happens...
  11. V

    Online optimal Rubik's Cube scrambler

    For the CPU IDA* search, I am using three pattern databases which I arrived at through experimentation. My constraint was the solver had to fit within 32GB of memory. I'm sure these can be improved upon; I stopped experimenting and moved on to other areas of the code when I felt the throughput...
  12. V

    Online optimal Rubik's Cube scrambler

    My online scrambler at https://voltara.org/cube/ just got its first major update in nearly ten years. It now produces optimal move sequences, i.e. the minimum number of moves necessary to reach a randomly selected position (17 or 18 moves, ~94% of the time.) Previously, it used a C++...
Top