• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] YuXin Little Magic Pyraminx

What do you think of this puzzle?

• Excellent

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Above Average

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Average

• Below Average

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Poor

• Total voters

Ghost Cuber

WCA
2015WINT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
This thread is for reviews of the YuXin Little Magic Pyraminx. You can vote in the poll above, but please only vote if you own this particular puzzle. When posting your review, please follow a template similar to this:
Where the puzzle was purchased
When the puzzle was purchased
Thoughts on the puzzle

Ghost Cuber

WCA
2015WINT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
This puzzle was purchased from thecubicle.us about two weeks ago. It is okay, but not nearly as good as higher end puzzles. Out of the box, the body was quite nice. It had a quick, smooth feel with a light click after each turn from the ball bearings, which are interestingly enough in the edges rather than the centers. However, the tips were so clicky that they were essentially unusable. Normally, this wouldn't be a problem, as the springs for the ball bearings could be switched for softer ones. However, in order to reduce production costs, YuXin used a different design that makes this impossible. Rather than the traditional ball bearing design, this puzzle has protrusions on the tips that fit into grooves on the centers, making them nonadjustable without modding, which is what I ended up doing. I sanded down the protrusions, which helped drastically. After the modification and setup, this puzzle is average. It maintains the original feel, which is a positive for me, but the relatively poor cornercutting causes some minor lockups and catches, making solves less fluid. Additionally, the stickers are fairly poor quality. I put a significant gouge in one of the yellow stickers just from removing the logo. My times on this puzzle are about half a second slower on this puzzle compared to my main X-Man Bell, which is significant as a sub-4.5 second solver. Overall, I would really only recommend this puzzle to people who are on a budget and are willing to do the mod, but I think most people should pass on this one.

The attached video is an edited version of my review. I removed the first half, which was the unboxing, to adhere to the guidelines of this forum.