• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Review] X-Man Shadow M (Custom from SCS) Review

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I wonder if there are different batches, or the differences in construction between the M and non-M pieces make a difference. I know there are a lot of people who really like the stock magnetic version. I heard that the magnets were weak, and also prefer stronger magnets. I just finished magnetizing mine, and I have to agree that it's really sluggish and grinding. I'm sure mine would be the same batch as yours: I pre-ordered from SCS.

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I wonder if there are different batches, or the differences in construction between the M and non-M pieces make a difference. I know there are a lot of people who really like the stock magnetic version. I heard that the magnets were weak, and also prefer stronger magnets. I just finished magnetizing mine, and I have to agree that it's really sluggish and grinding. I'm sure mine would be the same batch as yours: I pre-ordered from SCS.
That's a good question re: different batches. Have no idea (obviously). I just know that I was truly shocked at how terrible it was out of the box and even after messing with it.

chron0s

Tabe nice video, thanks for sharing! I didn't realize you had a channel, I subscribed :)

I got the shadow M on preorder from SCS. I have a labs red + hand magnetized wuhua v2. Compared to both, both the inners and outers on the stock shadow M feel weaker. Still with a noticable click and I like the strength personally, but the difference is apparent when turning the puzzles.

One common theme between all the shadow M reviews I've seen - major catching and even popping on stock tensions. Everyone seems to need to tighten the cube up a lot. Sounds like you already did more work on the puzzle but if SCS kept the stock tensions it would explain the OOB experience.

I'm optimistic, I think you can get that cube working wonderfully with more setup. I still need to dig into mine, will post notes here when I do - I'm planning to lube the core, carefully lube the inners to make them a little more cohesive, put dignitas on the outer, and tighten the puzzle up.

I'll open up the M and look at the magnets too - I don't have the gear to measure the strength but I can at least figure out the sizes in use.

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Tabe nice video, thanks for sharing! I didn't realize you had a channel, I subscribed :)

I got the shadow M on preorder from SCS. I have a labs red + hand magnetized wuhua v2. Compared to both, both the inners and outers on the stock shadow M feel weaker. Still with a noticable click and I like the strength personally, but the difference is apparent when turning the puzzles.

One common theme between all the shadow M reviews I've seen - major catching and even popping on stock tensions. Everyone seems to need to tighten the cube up a lot. Sounds like you already did more work on the puzzle but if SCS kept the stock tensions it would explain the OOB experience.

I'm optimistic, I think you can get that cube working wonderfully with more setup. I still need to dig into mine, will post notes here when I do - I'm planning to lube the core, carefully lube the inners to make them a little more cohesive, put dignitas on the outer, and tighten the puzzle up.

I'll open up the M and look at the magnets too - I don't have the gear to measure the strength but I can at least figure out the sizes in use.
The channel is still pretty new, not surprised it had slipped past you. Thanks for the kind words and thank you for subscribing!

As for the cube, I got rid of it pretty much immediately after doing the video. It's now in the possession of @Ghost Cuber, who likes it. His turning style is very different from mine, however, and he's far more forgiving of the constant catching than I am.

My plan is to try and find one to mess with at my next comp in a few weeks and see if I like it. Maybe it's just the one that I hated :)