Would a $590m Lotto Win Be Enough for You?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ScrummyAdam, May 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. ScrummyAdam

ScrummyAdam Member

May 15, 2013
    I can't believe the PowerBall lotto jackpot in the US has got to $590 and won by a single winner.

I think If put everything I wanted on a piece of paper, I would still have hundreds of millions left over.

What would you do with this kind of lotto win? Looks like it is possible here - moreaboutwinninglottery.com

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  2. Kattenvriendin

Kattenvriendin Member

Jun 23, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Where do they get the money for these things? And why are there still people suffering from hunger at the same time? Only talking US here, not world.

I can do nothing but shake my head at the overdrawn ridiculousness of it.

3. ~Adam~

~Adam~ Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Earth
    WCA:
    2011GREE03
    I remember hearing a statistic that 10% of wages earned by people on minimum wage in the states goes on lottery tickets.
    That's an average so there are people spending almost all of their barely liveable money on trying to win a dream.

If I won that kinda money I'd just add it to the pile or buy Greece.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  4. Kattenvriendin

Kattenvriendin Member

Jun 23, 2012
    The Netherlands
    ROFL!! Buy Greece hehe

Amazing.. I buy a lottery ticket at new years (half a ticket even), and EVERY now and then a scratch ticket. Once in a blue moon.

Those people are better off couponing if you ask me, and then keep the income in your pocket, another way to get rich.. Couponing is another thing that can't be done here. Not like that what I see on those shows anyway. :)

What would I do.. get me a new cubing cabinet.. oh I would buy a house and pay it off, to put that cabinet in lol.. a regular farm house, nothing huge, I have to keep it clean too! Have it fenced off so my cats can play outside without the risk of being run over. :)

Give at least half to charity because I would never need THAT much money anyways.

5. mark49152

mark49152 Premium Member

Oct 29, 2012
    UK
    Fund businesses, create jobs, drive innovation, etc. Or get involved in charities. Having lots of money brings an opportunity to change the world for the better in some small way, not just buy loads of stuff!

6. applemobile

applemobile Member

Jan 8, 2012
    exeter uk
    FYI you get taxed and stung to hell in the US. To take that 590million as a lump sum you really would only walk away with aroun $200million. The jackpot the advertise is nowhere near what anyone actually receives.

7. SenileGenXer

SenileGenXer Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Virginia, USA
    Mark 49152, great point that there is so much more than personal things. However getting involved in business ventures without business experience is usually the biggest component of how lottery winners lose it all. Lose it all fast.

8. mark49152

mark49152 Premium Member

Oct 29, 2012
    UK
    I was simply answering the question in the OP. Your comment applies to non lottery winners as well, of course. We're free to spend our own money on our own mistakes! :)

9. Wassili

Wassili Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Amsterdam
    WCA:
    2013KORO02
    YouTube:
    wassiliftw
    Buy all the cubes I ever wanted... but I would still have 590M left :p

10. applemobile

applemobile Member

Jan 8, 2012
    exeter uk
  11. Mikel

Mikel Premium Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Iowa, USA
    WCA:
    2011MIKE01
    YouTube:
    rayquazapwn88
    Yes it would be more than enough. I would just put most of the money into the cubing community somehow. For example I could sponsor world's with $1 million prize money per event and such. Hopefully more people would get interested in the sport.

12. Wassili

Wassili Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Amsterdam
    WCA:
    2013KORO02
    YouTube:
    wassiliftw
  13. JasonK

JasonK Premium Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Melbourne, AUS
    WCA:
    2011KILB01
    So much this.

14. Noahaha

Noahaha blindmod

Dec 19, 2011
    CT
    WCA:
    2012ARTH01
    YouTube:
    NoahCubes
    I'd go to a competition every weekend and bring my friends to meet the awesome cubers from other countries.

15. kunparekh18

kunparekh18 Member

Dec 24, 2012
    Chennai
    WCA:
    2013PARE01
    YouTube:
    KunParekh18
    It would be enough

I would satisfy all my "wordly needs" and give the rest to charity maybe

16. ScrummyAdam

ScrummyAdam Member

May 15, 2013
    Oh wow that is crazy.

17. uniacto

uniacto Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Seattle, Washington
    WCA:
    2013KWON01
    YouTube:
    uniacto
    Lol "only".

I'd be totally happy with 200 million. If you take it a little bit at a time, won't you get taxed a bit less?

18. Lchu613

Lchu613 Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Ashburn, Virginia, USA
    WCA:
    2014CHUL01
    YouTube:
    Lchu01
    Yeah, that's the version where you basically get a steady trickle of cash
    Say, a million a year for 400 years?

19. AlexByard

AlexByard Member

Jul 12, 2012
    UK, Goole
    YouTube:
    AlexByard
    Nope, the speedboat I have in mind is $591m... This is just petty chump change.

20. YddEd

YddEd Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Sydney Australia
    WCA:
    2012SHAO01
    YouTube:
    YddEdPortal
    I'll give you $999,999 more ;)