Wisconsin Cubing Group

Discussion in 'Local Cubing Groups' started by David Jiang, Jul 3, 2016.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. yes

14 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. no

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. JustinTimeCuber

JustinTimeCuber Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Webster Groves, MO
    WCA:
    2013BARK01
    Well I'd personally rather have one event with an easier cutoff than 2 events with harsh cutoffs but that's just me I guess :p

2. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    What is the cause of people getting faster? Is it hardware, methods, people are just faster than they used to be (I didn't think evolution worked that fast) or that most of the people coming to competitions have been cubing for longer, and are personally improving? I'm guessing it's a combination of the first, second, and fourth options. Or maybe it's also that since speedsolving has become more standardized and publicized it's easier to compare yourself to really fast people and see what's actually possible. I'm not trying to say that there aren't valid reasons for lowering cutoffs, it's just a frustration as a slow cuber.

I'll second the sentiment about fewer events, too. I realize that I break with the majority of the cubing community when I say that I find smaller puzzles like 2x2 and pyraminx, and probably even clock, although I have absolutely zero experience with it, trivial and a little silly, and I would love to see more competitions that ignored them altogether. There is a lot of time and effort, both in terms of individual effort and in terms of organizing competitions, that goes into small puzzles. . . . Oh well. I'll quit ranting. Different strokes for different folks.

P.S. Here's an off the wall idea: typically competitions will have a limit on the total number of competitors. What about putting a limit on the number of 3x3 competitors? Or limiting the number of competitors in each event based on how long that event is expected to take? So instead of saying there are cuts of 3:30/5:00 or whatever for 6x6, only the first 12 people who sign up for 6x6 will be able to compete in 6x6, and go with the default 10:00 hard cut?

Loiloiloi likes this.
  3. JustinTimeCuber

JustinTimeCuber Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Webster Groves, MO
    WCA:
    2013BARK01
    lol'd at "I didn't think evolution worked that fast"

I hope no one seriously thinks that's how evolution works... xD

4. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    I doubt anybody seriously does. Glad to know for sure I'm not the only one. :)

5. RennuR

RennuR Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Also I might just have to go to Dixon, 2 hours away from where I live however :/ But eh ya never know

6. JustinTimeCuber

JustinTimeCuber Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Webster Groves, MO
    WCA:
    2013BARK01
    If 2 hours away is bad for you then you should feel lucky :p the shortest car ride for me to a comp was 3. (I did go by plane to OKC (80 min from STL), but with the airport wait and all of that it was probably 3 hours total as well)

7. RennuR

RennuR Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Well the thing is, that would be my first comp. Since I just found out I cant go to Wiscube because I have to be at an estate sale O_O. And I dont drive yet sooo. lol

8. JustinTimeCuber

JustinTimeCuber Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Webster Groves, MO
    WCA:
    2013BARK01
    Definitely don't miss out on a relatively close comp if you don't have to!

9. RennuR

RennuR Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Well yeah of course, i have an XC Meet 2 days before, and my dad works down by Chicago, so maybe he can drive me to a Dixon meet. Haha we'll have to see!

10. Hey guys!

I'm in Madison right now until the 12th (Monday). I was talking with Josh Feran about having a meetup, but I think he's going to the KC comp this weekend. If there's anyone who wants to meet up, that would be pretty cool! Thanks.

11. Josh is really sick. He

Just another reason KC is better than STL ;)

(yes I realize how old that post was)

12. JustinTimeCuber

JustinTimeCuber Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Webster Groves, MO
    WCA:
    2013BARK01
    Josh is really sick. He turned into a bird and swam away.
    Ftfy

13. Wow! How'd you know!

(I meant to say "He had to cancel coming to KCubing")

14. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    I'm afraid it's much more serious than that. He abruptly ceased. RIP Josh. You will be dearly missed.

15. JustinTimeCuber

JustinTimeCuber Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Webster Groves, MO
    WCA:
    2013BARK01
    Well dang, that must be pretty disappointing.

16. Josh is fun to have around, but we have plenty of staff. Though Clock scrambling is going to be... Probably okay.

17. Jhahoua

Jhahoua Member

We're going to have a meet up at the west town mall food court this Saturday the 14th at 12:30pm

18. TheRubiksCombo

TheRubiksCombo Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2015MACK06
    YouTube:
    MidwestCuber6
    Yay! I'm missing like the 3rd meet up in a row!

19. BandedCubing101

BandedCubing101 Member

Jan 12, 2017
    Wisconsin
    YouTube:
    BandedCubing101
    I'm really excited for this meetup!

20. cmhardw

cmhardw Premium Member

Apr 5, 2006
    Atlanta, Georgia
    WCA: