Wisconsin Cubing Group

Discussion in 'Local Cubing Groups' started by David Jiang, Jul 3, 2016.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. yes

18 vote(s)
    90.0%
  2. no

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. David Jiang

David Jiang Member

May 3, 2016
    Hi everyone,

I was thinking about starting a cubing group in Wisconsin that would meet once every month or so. The venue can change periodically. I wanted to get a rough number for the amount of people who would do this. I can organize everything, but I want to know the amount of people.

2. TheRubiksCombo

TheRubiksCombo Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2015MACK06
    YouTube:
    MidwestCuber6
    I'd love that!

3. Abo

Abo Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I would be happy to join it, but won't be back in Wisconsin for another 3 weeks

4. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    I'm strongly in favor of more competitions in Wisconsin. I'm not sure if I would take the time for just a casual get-together, at least not on a regular basis. What part of the state are you in? I'm between La Crosse and Prairie du Chien, and in all honesty even for an official competition Madison is a stretch, and anything farther probably isn't going to happen.

5. JustinTimeCuber

JustinTimeCuber Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Webster Groves, MO
    WCA:
    2013BARK01
    *casts vote for no group in the poll, lives in missouri*

6. ShadowyHawk

ShadowyHawk Member

Jul 14, 2016
    Wisconsin, USA
    More comps in Madison would be great!

7. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    I haven't ever organized a competition, so I don't know how big a deal this is, but I know that Chris Hardwick was the delegate for a few recent comps in Madison, but according to the WCA site he's in GA instead of WI now, and the nearest delegates look to be James Hildreth in Michigan and Shaden Smith in Minnesota.

8. ShadowyHawk

ShadowyHawk Member

Jul 14, 2016
    Wisconsin, USA
    An unofficial comp could be an option, at least until WCA Delegate is available.

9. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    Technically. At this point I'm really interested in going to an official comp, but I'm not sure that the work necessary to go to any comp is worth it for an unofficial comp. If I have time this winter I might try to get something going on the west side of the state, LaCrosse, or probably Viroqua. Should be able to pull from Madison area, as well as Minneapolis and Iowa. If I do it I would emphasize big cubes with generous time limits, not do 2x2 or Pyra at all, and possibly skip even 3x3.

10. ShadowyHawk

ShadowyHawk Member

Jul 14, 2016
    Wisconsin, USA
    Big cubes would be cool to have in a comp, but I feel like if you add 3x3 and maybe 2x2 you would draw a lot more competitors in.

11. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    Not to be too cynical about it, but fewer competitors means that we could still stick to a schedule with very generous cutoffs, and people (like me, mostly) who might not otherwise be able to complete an official average could do so. The trick is hitting the right balance so enough people show up but not too many.

12. David Jiang

David Jiang Member

May 3, 2016
    there;s an unoffical comp today at 9:15 tp 4:15 Black hawk church room 162 XD

ShadowyHawk likes this.
  13. TheRubiksCombo

TheRubiksCombo Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2015MACK06
    YouTube:
    MidwestCuber6
    dangit I didnt know

14. TheRubiksCombo

TheRubiksCombo Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2015MACK06
    YouTube:
    MidwestCuber6
    Who's going to Wiscube?

RennuR likes this.
  15. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    I haven't actually signed up yet, but planning on it. I'm really disappointed by no 4x4, but I have a good chance of getting at least a foot single, maybe even a mean if I practice. I've got to learn blind in the next few weeks, too.

RennuR likes this.
  16. David Jiang

David Jiang Member

May 3, 2016
    I am are you?

17. TheRubiksCombo

TheRubiksCombo Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2015MACK06
    YouTube:
    MidwestCuber6
    yep

18. RennuR

RennuR Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    More competitions in Madison? Pretty much all of the the cubing competitions in Wisconsin are in madison, like around middleton and waunakee. I think a great place to have a cubing competition would be somwhere around the racine/kenosha area, because that would hit a lot of the population of the midwest. This is because its almost the halfway point between 2 high population areas, Chicago and Milwaukee. Not to mention hitting 2 birds with 1 stone, meaning the states of Wisconsin and Illinois.

Speaking of Milwaukee, im surprised there isnt a competition there. If anyone is holding a competition in the milwaukee area, or like Southeast wisconsin, post a thread or let me know :). If I had more time, or I guess impact, I would try to start one up, wouldnt be a bad idea for others.

@One Wheel just gonna tag you here on this one aha

19. One Wheel

One Wheel Member

Feb 24, 2016
    Wisconsin
    WCA:
    2016BAIR04
    I'm 3+ hours from Milwaukee, but I think LaCrosse would be great. It's pretty near halfway between Milwaukee and Twin Cities, 2 hours or less from Madison, and reasonably close to a lot of Iowa too. Plus it's only about an hour from me.

20. RennuR

RennuR Member

Aug 1, 2016
    Kenosha, Wisconsin
    Mmmm I gotchya. Its close to minnesota, and iowa, but I feel Kenosha/Racine hits more population either way haha.

If I could, I would start something.