• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Will Clock get removed as an official event?

WCA
2017OWEN01
I would argue that clock is objectively worse than feet and yet feet is being removed, therefore I think it is likely clock will be removed.
Having said this I think both events are good and the reasons to have them removed are not stronger than the reasons to be kept and Currently believe no WCA events should be removed

U

Underwatercuber

With the Angstrom one coming out soon though it might all change. Moyu and Qiyi may even follow suit and make their own clocks
Not sure, just looking at some of the random pics people are posting I’m not sure if they know what they are doing :p

U

Underwatercuber

I would argue that clock is objectively worse than feet and yet feet is being removed, therefore I think it is likely clock will be removed.
Having said this I think both events are good and the reasons to have them removed are not stronger than the reasons to be kept and Currently believe no WCA events should be removed
If you have to argue it then it’s probably not objective :p

WCA
2017BRYA06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think clock will remain an event for the following reasons. It IS a twisty puzzle, I mean you twist it and its a puzzle lol. It's not like any other event, feet is like 3x3 and OH, but clock is completely unique. Its gaining popularity, I've seen a ton of people get into clock over the past year, and with the angstrom clock coming out I think its popularity will only continue to rise, however with feet, its popularity hasn't been high at all (at least until they announced its removal). Lastly its a challenging event to get good at, making competitions sometimes unpredictable due to someone good dnfing their average. Lastly its a pretty beginner friendly event, It required no algs and I learned how to do it in 2 minutes completely intuitively.

U

Underwatercuber

I think clock will remain an event for the following reasons. It IS a twisty puzzle, I mean you twist it and its a puzzle lol. It's not like any other event, feet is like 3x3 and OH, but clock is completely unique. Its gaining popularity, I've seen a ton of people get into clock over the past year, and with the angstrom clock coming out I think its popularity will only continue to rise, however with feet, its popularity hasn't been high at all (at least until they announced its removal). Lastly its a challenging event to get good at, making competitions sometimes unpredictable due to someone good dnfing their average. Lastly its a pretty beginner friendly event, It required no algs and I learned how to do it in 2 minutes completely intuitively.
Not a twisty puzzle by most definitions.

I’m interested to see how much it is grown compared to other events, I made a post in wca statistics and will give and update if anyone gives me numbers.

not really challenging at all lol, it’s just practice, learning a few of the basics and spamming comps

that’s one of my least favorite things about clock, it’s overly simple. Unlike other puzzles though it’s trivial on all levels. At least for Pyra you can move up from Bob burtons method to LBL to L4E and you can learn a bunch of stuff, Clock you learn almost nothing.

ketchupcuber

if you think about it clock is just to weird all, other events are cube shaped and the clocks a circle it just has no relevance to cubing, its just a random puzzle someone threw in there without thought. J perm said if a puzzle was not there and there were requests to add it would it make sense to add it or not. Frankly if people were proposing to add clock i guarantee we would think it a ridiculous idea

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
if you think about it clock is just to weird all, other events are cube shaped and the clocks a circle it just has no relevance to cubing, its just a random puzzle someone threw in there without thought. J perm said if a puzzle was not there and there were requests to add it would it make sense to add it or not. Frankly if people were proposing to add clock i guarantee we would think it a ridiculous idea

Yeah and a lot of people would say that adding 7x7 and even 6x6 is stupid because we already have 2-5, but we aren't removing them now. Also, #BrodoBumpVirus is spreading to others lol

AbsoRuud

WCA
2019POLL04
YouTube
Visit Channel
All other events are cube shaped. Pyraminx. (Cough)

Obviously, Clock was added because it's a puzzle that you can speedsolve, which was originally introduced by Rubik's, like the Magic and Master Magic. The Magic and Master Magic were removed because the competition wasn't about solving, but about who could do the exact same step the fastest. It's one alg. That has nothing to do with solving. Clock can be scrambled into a random state and it can be solved. It's a great puzzle, I've enjoyed it for over 30 years and I enjoy it today.

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
All other events are cube shaped. Pyraminx. (Cough)

Obviously, Clock was added because it's a puzzle that you can speedsolve, which was originally introduced by Rubik's, like the Magic and Master Magic. The Magic and Master Magic were removed because the competition wasn't about solving, but about who could do the exact same step the fastest. It's one alg. That has nothing to do with solving. Clock can be scrambled into a random state and it can be solved. It's a great puzzle, I've enjoyed it for over 30 years and I enjoy it today.

To be fair, when someone(not just a non-cuber) looks a clock, there's no way they'd think it was a twisty puzzle

ProStar

WCA
2020MAHO01
SS Competition Results
Saying that Clock is not a twisty puzzle makes absolutely no sense.

Definition of twist: to rotate around a stationary point; turn.

Hey look, the clock has dials, they rotate around a stationary point. They turn.

As a certified cuber(I'm talking about you), I must ask you something. Imagine yourself as a cuber still, but having never seen a clock. You go to a competition and see one. Would you think that was a twisty puzzle? There's no layers to turn, heck, not even individual layers at all. Just gears with a weird bumpy thing on the corners of the circle. What? Also, you've been asked to run for this competition. You grab the....circle..., put it in it's cover, and..... it falls out!! Ok, now you're going to another competition. This time, you signed up for clock! You sit down, say "ready", and your judge takes off the 3D printed, specially made cover from the clock. Aaaannndd...... it falls over!

This being said, I don't really want to go through the people raging if clock gets removed, it's not worth it. There are still people angry about feet. So I'd just rather keep it over having that happen again