• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Which is the best cube?

DcF1337

Hi guys.

I know this has topic has been brought up before, but the thread was old and the information provided may be long outdated.

In your opinion, which is the best cube?

The absolute best. Best at turning, smooth, little or no lockups, good at cutting corners.

The cube that's all aces.

Studio? Old type A? New type A? C? D? E? F? D with A type core?

I've searched forums, read dozens and dozens of threads, and watched hundreds of videos, and still cannot come to a conclusion.

I need to gather as many opinions/information as possible before I purchase one, and I want to get something that's good and well worth the money. Even if it's cheap, the shipping most probably won't be.

So please state your opinions. If possible, describe in detail of all your past experiences with different types of cubes. Thanks in advance.

(Mods, if you find this thread useless, by all means, delete it.)

Last edited:

Guoguodi

You ask for "the best" cube, when a lot of it comes down to personal preference. Also, there are many variations and hybrid combos that can yield even better results, when you combine the strong aspects of two or more different cubes. For example, Rubik's.com cubies with D centers + A core. You might be forgetting in your post the Rubik's.com DIY and the Japanese Speedcubing Kit.

Anyway, speaking strictly of non-hybrid cubes: currently, the Type D's are widely regarded as excellent cubes. Type A's (both old and new) are also decent. Even amongst these two, some people prefer D, some the A. Nonetheless, up till now I have not heard or read of much excitement over the Type E (Diansheng). For me, this cube has already surpassed the white Type D as the best cube I have ever tried. Its main strong point is an incredibly light turning action. With the lightness comes, of course, increased speed.

So, my vote goes for the E cube.

Note that the Type E is a white cube. The best black cube I've had is a JSK cubies + D centers + A core combo. Very smooth and fast. Runner-up to that is the standard Type D + A core combo.

Last edited:

DcF1337

E? Hmm. I wonder why there has been little talk about the Type E.

Anyway, thanks for your opinion. I'm looking forward to more replies!

DAE_JA_VOO

I've got an Old Type A, and while it's good, it just doesn't compete with my White Type D with Type A core.

Not even my BLACK Type D with A core compares to my white one.

Many people here have had the same experience, where their White Type D is better than their black.

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah My White Type D with A core so much better than black. its really good, but i don't use it as my main cube. I use my white Rubik.com DIY as my main. Its not as good as my Type D with A core but it feels like its never gonna pop.

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Its not as good as my Type D with A core but it feels like its never gonna pop.
But does your Type D ever pop? I've had mine for about a month now and i can count on one hand how many times it's popped.

It actually popped last night and i was REALLY surprised...

actually it pops about 1-2 times a week. usually when i practice (aggressive turning) or casually/randomly cubing. My Rubik's.com DIY hasn't popped in 2 months (last time was on purpose to see if pieces fly far if it did happen)

My Type-D is sooooooooo much better than my Rubik's DIY. And YES I like it more than my main cube. But my Rubik.com DIY, just feels a little more stable and has a lower pop count than my type-D. SO YES, I RECOMMEND TYPE-D with A core. Runner Up is Rubik.com DIY.

DcF1337

Is Rubiks.com good?

I think I've decided to stop buying online. Everytime I want to order online, I need to ask my parents' permission and they'll make a lot of fuss over it for nothing, before finally agreeing to buy.

Besides, I recently found some "local suppliers", people who already bought cubes in large amounts from Cube4you, then resell to local people, often at cheaper prices because they bought in bulk. I think that's a lot more convenient. Plus, I can see what I'll get before I actually pay for it.

In Toys R Us in my country, I heard that they're selling the Japanese DIY kit. You know, the boxed cube with two screwdrivers and a lot of japanese words on the cover? What do you think about that cube?

Sure, it's pricey, but apparently it's the only decent cube I can buy by walking into the store and buying on the spot. I still have to make arrangements with my "local suppliers" before I can buy from them.

Advise? Once again, thanks.

liukaipeng

I'm very confused after reading so many threads that considering Type A is the best cube. In my opinion, Type A is too heavy and don't cut conner very well. In China, from where the Type A, C, D, E, F ... come, it is considered by most cubers that Type A is best for beginners and Type C is more suitable for advanced cuber.

BTW, on the Chinese market, there's no Type D. According to the screws of Type D, it is more liked another type of cube that is considered not-so-good-quality cube in China. So could somebody give me some detail on the Type D cube, for example, is there any mark on the back of the cover of the conner piece, and is the cube is made of ABS plastic?

Guoguodi

In Toys R Us in my country, I heard that they're selling the Japanese DIY kit. You know, the boxed cube with two screwdrivers and a lot of japanese words on the cover? What do you think about that cube?

Get it. It's a good cube!

So could somebody give me some detail on the Type D cube, for example, is there any mark on the back of the cover of the conner piece, and is the cube is made of ABS plastic?

There is no mark anywhere to be found on the corner pieces of the Type D. I don't know about ABS plastic. One thing I do know is that the plastic used in the black Type D is very prone to breaking off into dust and muck. Just wipe your finger inside any used Type D to see just how much black dust there is. By contrast the Rubik's.com DIY and JSK plastic barely generate any cube dust.

liukaipeng

BTW, on the Chinese market, there's no Type D.

Seriously? Isn't Cube4you based in China?

Maybe there's some cube that is IN FACT Type D, but being considered as not good for speed cubing. In China, the upstream cube for speed cubing is Type A and C, Type A mode 3, and there a brand new Type A-II ( I have no idea about how the cube4you guys would call it, but you'll surely see it in a few days). In fact Type A is considered not suitable for high speeding cubing, and I've never seen any body sub-20 using it in competitions.

I'm now using a Type C with Type A's screws and springs.

And I'm also very eager to known what Type D REALLY is. Could somebody give me some detail description of it? And I'll identify it for you the ideas about it in China.

Bounb

liukaipeng, the type D has the marking "yjtoy.net" (YongJun Toys Co) on the inside of corner pieces.

The Type A-II you mentioned is now on cubeforyou

fanwuq

WCA
2008FANW01
YouTube
Visit Channel
BTW, on the Chinese market, there's no Type D.

Seriously? Isn't Cube4you based in China?

Maybe there's some cube that is IN FACT Type D, but being considered as not good for speed cubing. In China, the upstream cube for speed cubing is Type A and C, Type A mode 3, and there a brand new Type A-II ( I have no idea about how the cube4you guys would call it, but you'll surely see it in a few days). In fact Type A is considered not suitable for high speeding cubing, and I've never seen any body sub-20 using it in competitions.

I'm now using a Type C with Type A's screws and springs.

And I'm also very eager to known what Type D REALLY is. Could somebody give me some detail description of it? And I'll identify it for you the ideas about it in China.

What is the Chinese cubing market? I can't see any cubes in any store. The only place I know of is cube4you.com.

shelley

chang
WCA
2004CHAN04
All this talk about DIYs. My best store-bought cube blows all my DIYs out of the water. Unfortunately with store-bought cubes you just have to be lucky and get a really good one.

But as always, that's just my personal opinion. You may not like cubes I like and vice-versa. The kind of cube one prefers is very dependent on the individual cuber's solving style and what they're used to.

Lotsofsloths

WCA
2007SAHA01
YouTube
Visit Channel
All this talk about DIYs. My best store-bought cube blows all my DIYs out of the water. Unfortunately with store-bought cubes you just have to be lucky and get a really good one.

But as always, that's just my personal opinion. You may not like cubes I like and vice-versa. The kind of cube one prefers is very dependent on the individual cuber's solving style and what they're used to.

No offense...
But. My cube will pwn urs xD
I have got good store bought cubes, but the things with DIY's is that they are instantly fit to your style while store cubes take forever to break in.