What would this mod be called?

Discussion in 'Puzzle Building, Modding, & Designing' started by Hyperbolics, Nov 8, 2016.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. So the other day I was thinking about what to do with my spare Guanlong and I had the idea for an interesting mod. I have no idea if this mod has been done before or what it would be called if it has, but the idea is similar to a barrel. What I would do is make a 3x3 barrel one one axis and then barrel the puzzle again on another axis. My thought process for coming up with this was if a barrel has been rounded around one axis and a ball is rounded around 3 axes, then why not try rounding around 2 axes. Anyway, I'm gonna get around to making this as soon as I get some more epoxy but in the mean time I just want to know what this would be called.

2. AlphaSheep

AlphaSheep Member

Nov 11, 2014
    Gauteng, South Africa
    WCA:
    2014GRAY03
    I don't know the name of the shape, but just to be technically correct, a sphere is the shape that is circular about infinite axes. There is a shape that is circular about three axes that is not a sphere.

3. vm70

vm70 Member

Oct 29, 2016
    Either coast of the US
  4. That's nearly what I'm thinking of. Just remove the octagonal barreling from one axis and thats what my idea is. I've started building it at this point, so I'll post some pictures of it so far: DSC00111.JPG DSC00110.JPG DSC00109.JPG

stoic likes this.
  5. vm70

vm70 Member

Oct 29, 2016
    Either coast of the US
    Looks great!
    I have no idea what shape that is, though. The closest thing I could compare it to would be a cube (duh) or a tetradecahedron (14-hedron) which has no Wikipedia article or anything to relate to.

Are you going to give it a partial sticker mod?

EDIT: I found what you're looking for! It's called a "Pillow Cube".
    Here's its Twisty Puzzles museum page:
    http://twistypuzzles.com/cgi-bin/puzzle.cgi?pkey=461
    Jaap Scherphuis has one; here's his picture of it.
    http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/gallery.htm?p=0&d=0&i=4
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  6. Thanks! I'll probably sticker it like in the picture. I'm a bit delayed in making this because I dropped the puzzle and snapped two of the centre pieces, so I need to buy a new guanlong :(