• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What will the next gen of 4x4's look like?

Dom

WCA
2016DOMI06
YouTube
Visit Channel
What can we expect from 4x4's of the near future? What brand will dominate the 4x4 market? We haven't had any major innovations lately. I feel that with as awesome as 3x3's have been recently, you'd think we could get a 4x4 that can reverse corner cut better than what we've seen.

Thoughts?

RayTheCuber13

WCA
2016MEND08
What can we expect from 4x4's of the near future? What brand will dominate the 4x4 market? We haven't had any major innovations lately. I feel that with as awesome as 3x3's have been recently, you'd think we could get a 4x4 that can reverse corner cut better than what we've seen.

Thoughts?
I haven been thinking about this lately but that's a great idea. With so many 3x3's out on the market, theres a huge variety of cubes for many peoples personal preferences.On the other hand, new and better 4x4's have not seem to come out. Sure theres the Aosu, the Yuxin Blue, and maybe even the yj Guansu(My main). We need to see more 4x4's come out in the future so that more and more people can enjoy the event, I really like your thinking there Bud!;)

Reactions: Dom

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
From what I've heard, the GuoGuan one is delayed, and QiYi will be releasing two 4x4s.
From a business standpoint, they should stagger the releases, but they work in very mysterious ways. Don't expect it anytime soon though.

The QiYi ones are supposedly very very good.

TheChaiCuber

WCA
2016CHAI03
From what I've heard, the GuoGuan one is delayed, and QiYi will be releasing two 4x4s.
From a business standpoint, they should stagger the releases, but they work in very mysterious ways. Don't expect it anytime soon though.

The QiYi ones are supposedly very very good.
I know the wuque is going to be 62mm, is the other one (I'm assuming the x-man design) possibly going to be 60mm? is there any chance you know?

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't know the size off the top of my head, but I wanted to say that there's a lot of room for innovation in 4x4 design.

For example, no 4x4 currently has internal edges that extend deep into the puzzle under the centers like modern 3x3 edges do.
Once 4x4s start to have than, they'll have even more corner cutting and flexibility.

gokkar

I don't know the size off the top of my head, but I wanted to say that there's a lot of room for innovation in 4x4 design.

For example, no 4x4 currently has internal edges that extend deep into the puzzle under the centers like modern 3x3 edges do.
Once 4x4s start to have than, they'll have even more corner cutting and flexibility.
I was literally thinking about this all day today. Tried to doodle some ideas in my notes during class but I can't draw to save my life :p

Dom

WCA
2016DOMI06
YouTube
Visit Channel
The QiYi Wuque released this photo in September. They said it should be coming out soon.
They say it's 62mm. (Reference)
CtRkwgTUAAAffe3.jpg

It doesn't look particularly groundbreaking from the outside. None of the corners are rounded. I couldn't imagine that reverse corner cutting would be that good.

Last edited:

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
Yesterday, the Wuque was released. In response, Moyu released this photo on their Facebook.
It's a prototype for the Moyu Bosu GTS 4x4.
Has anyone heard anything about this one?
15002353_1128998417181117_2933909003915679866_o.jpg

I predict a $26 price point, available in April 2017, and it will either be THE 4x4 for the next 3-5 years or it will be the final straw that relegates Moyu to permanent also - ran status. Just because it's fun to make bold predictions.

TheChaiCuber

WCA
2016CHAI03
The big cube generation is flourishing, all the big name brands (moyu, qiyi, yuxin) have or are about to have cubes that are competitive within the markets.
4x4: wuque, aosu, blue.
5x5: yuxin, bochuang/weichuang, wushuang
6x6: red, weishi, wuhua
7x7: aofu, huanglong, and in prototype stage wuji

Since the wuji isnt released yet, i can't really say much about that. but all the cubes listed are competitive for best cube on market (although the red and blue require a spring swap)

I think its saying a lot when the aosu pops the most out of the cubes listed. thats a crazy good cube.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
It would prolly depend on how the X-man 4x4 will be priced, honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it was 26$ even though the market doesn't seem to sell that high anymore.

the 3-5 years is very unlikely IMO, simply because thats such a long time.

Most are a lot cheaper than that. If you're willing to wait for shipping from China you can get a good 4x4 for $20 less than that. A good price point for a premium 4x4 in my opinion would be $16-18 right now. When I said 3-5 years I was thinking about the Dayan 2x2. I wonder what the price point would be if Gans ever made a 4x4.