• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What size cube and help on becoming sub-40.

Speedsolver31

Hello, this is my first every post (yay!). I was wondering about what size cube to get. I'm 11 so I have small hands. My hand is exactly 6 inches from my palm to the end of my middle finger. I currently use a 56mm Zhanchi and the 57mm Fansgshi. I think I need a smaller cube such as 45-53mm but I'm not sure. I think I need a smaller cube because some adult cubers (big hands) use the same size cube as me. Also, I find it impossible to to M slices( I think it's because my cube is too big). What cube size should i get? That's ends my first question. Secondly, what are my steps to become a sub-40 cuber? Currently I have an average of 1:02 and a PB of 36.98(lucky). Currently I use LBL beginner method, and I use 2-look OLL. Should I learn fridrich f2l and 2-look pll? If so where should I learn fridrich method?

P.s: please answer, even if u have an answer for only one of my questions!

P.s.s: I said I think I should get 45-53mm but that's an estimate with no backround knowledge so ignore that

Last edited:

maytagcuber34

YouTube
Visit Channel
Try getting a 54.6mm Fangshi, very good cube and probably right size. Also check out the 54.5mm Moyu Weilong, another amazing cube that has a smaller version. Although it is larger than your said 53mm limit, they really dont make anything smaller untill about 48mm, and that might be to small.

CubeSurfer

I think a 54.6 mm Fangshi should be good for you. My hand is 8 inches and I find it a little too small for me but it is still a great cube. (I have a Fangshi Illusion, they're cool!) I use a 57mm Zhanchi and it is perfect for me. As for your second question, I would suggest first learning CFOP with 4 look LL. Cross on bottom, intuitive F2L, 2-look OLL, and 2-look PLL. That is the method that I currently use and I average around 28-30 seconds. I learned intuitive F2L from CrazyBad Cuber on youtube. There are plenty of videos on youtube explaining F2L. This is the site I learned 4 look LL http://www.cubewhiz.com/2lookoll.php Hope this helps! :)

elrog

YouTube
Visit Channel
I would like to point out that a difference of just 2 mm (57mm to 55mm) does make more of a difference than you'd think from looking at it. I was surprised how small my 50mmZanchi felt when I first got it. I'm not saying this is a bad/good thing, just that it is something to keep in mind.

My hand is 7-8 inches. I really like my 57mm and 50mm Zanchis, and I use them both equally as much. The size cube that is best for each person is not proportional to hand size. There are many other factors involved. Turning style is a significant factor.

Too often, I think, we try to find "the best" of something. People on the forum acknowledge that something best for one person is not best for somebody else, but often make comments that make it sound as if there a "best" of something for each person depending on how the cube and ect... I think part of being a good cuber is being able to adapt. A 50mm cube preforms just as well as a 57mm cube (as far as a persons senses can go). The only difference is if your used to it.

As for becoming sub 40, you should be able to get this just by solving a lot. You only really need to worry about training specific parts of your solve and doing certain practice techniques when you get at-least sub 20.

Last edited:

ILMZS20

just learn 2look pll and intuitive f2l. the f2l will feel very slow and hard to do at the beginning with a little it will be waaay easier and you will be sub 40 no problem. why do you even ask for help isnt it obvious that you should learn the basics of the "advanced fridrich method" with like f2l? :p anyway, i would go with a 55mm cube, maybe wait until you can order the 55mm weilong (or maybe you can already) some people may say get an "intermediate cube" blablabla but thats really stupid in my eyes since you get used to the cube easily after some solves

Cubiquitous

I got a 54.6mm ShuangRen and I was amazed at what a difference that small change in size makes. At first I would completely miss with my pinky when doing D rotations. It was not perfect for me, but could be for you.

I agree that it is more about learning the solving methods. Intuitive F2L, 2 Look OLL and 2 Look PLL will get you started.

RubiksJake12

My recommendations

To answer your first question: As most people have said already, I would recommend one of three cubes for you. The 54.6mm Fangshi, the 55mm Zhanchi (surprisingly good), or the 54.5mm Weilong. These should fit your hands properly and are the three most popular and widely used speedcubes as of today. (cube type, not necessarily size)

To answer your second question: There are many places, videos, websites, people who can help you learn to speedcube properly. I personally learned from, and would recommend to you, badmephisto (on YouTube).

Firstly, I think you should just buckle down and learn f2l (the hardest part because you have to do it intuitively, which is without algorithms). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-xbcAMfWwM

Second, after you have an idea of how to do the f2l, I would recommend you watch these videos and learn the 2-look OLL/PLL.
2-look OLL- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTYvklyOpVM
2-look PLL- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S61q3FYVFis

With the f2l and 2-look OLL/PLL you should honestly be able to get sub 30 averages. This is what I did to get sub-40 anyway, which is what you want.

If you're looking to go even further, your next step after f2l, 2-look OLL, and 2-look PLL, is to learn FULL PLL. It is what will decrease your times the most with the least amount of effort (and what I did when I was learning).

anyway, there are countless websites, videos, and people to teach you, but this is what I would recommend and what I followed as I was learning. If you aren't a fan of videos, watch what I've linked and then visit this website ---> http://badmephisto.com/ You can teach yourself F2L, 2-look OLL/PLL, Full OLL/PLL, really anything. I got to sub-25 solves using this website alone.

Sorry for my long post, I was just trying to be thorough. Hope this helps!