• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] What should I learn next?

What then do you want to call it? (Keep in mind that if you're being this much of a pedant about whether "CFOP" should still be applicable with 4LLL, for consistency's sake, you should also be enough of a pedant to be bothered by "4LLL" not implying anything about what the four looks actually are.)
Indeed 4LLL can mean any 4 looks to solve last layer to me, whether it's 2LOLL+2LPLL, 2LPLL+2LPOLL or anything with 4 looks. I don't think there is an official name for a method that goes "advanced cross, advanced F2L, 4LLL".

Yes, there is. It's called CFOP ;)
No! Solving the last layer in 4 looks has nothing to do with O (for OLL) and P (for PLL). Even 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL are not OLL and PLL. This is definitely still beginner's method. I don't know OLL so I still use beginner's method (beginner's cross, intuitive F2L, 2-look OLL, PLL)

Hey Guys,

Ive been cubing roughly 4 months and am a mid 25 average, i am not entireyy sure what to learn after 4 look oll. Any advice will be considered.

Thanks guys :)

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
4-look OLL or 4-look last layer? If you mean 4-look OLL, I'm really not sure what that is, but it's probably not that good. :p

The general order people go about learning CFOP is first by learning 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL, then working on full PLL, and finally full OLL. Also, you should always be working on F2L as you progress.

4-look OLL or 4-look last layer? If you mean 4-look OLL, I'm really not sure what that is, but it's probably not that good. :p

The general order people go about learning CFOP is first by learning 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL, then working on full PLL, and finally full OLL. Also, you should always be working on F2L as you progress.
My bad 4 look last layer

sorry about that :)

I'm a sub-25 3x3 cuber. I have been cubing for about 11 months. I use a method called XG that uses beginners first and second layers, but CFOP for cross, OLL and PLL. I have browsed YouTube for many videos on how to improve and they all suggest learning full PLL before anything else. I currently know all PLL's except the Aa, Ab, E, F, Ja, Ra, Rb, V and the G Perms. I would like to know which one of these I should learn first, and what cases will be the most useful in competition. I would also like to know what OLL cases would come in handy. Also, if you could include easy to learn F2L cases, that would greatly benefit my skills. Thank you for taking the time to read my post, please comment what you think. Thank you!

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I'm a sub-25 3x3 cuber. I have been cubing for about 11 months. I use a method called XG that uses beginners first and second layers, but CFOP for cross, OLL and PLL. I have browsed YouTube for many videos on how to improve and they all suggest learning full PLL before anything else. I currently know all PLL's except the Aa, Ab, E, F, Ja, Ra, Rb, V and the G Perms. I would like to know which one of these I should learn first, and what cases will be the most useful in competition. I would also like to know what OLL cases would come in handy. Also, if you could include easy to learn F2L cases, that would greatly benefit my skills. Thank you for taking the time to read my post, please comment what you think. Thank you!

Learn F2L! The XG method was actually invented as a joke by Lucas Garron; it's not something anyone should use except as a transition to CFOP. I'd prioritize learning F2L over anything else, since F2L is something you should consistently be working on; it's not something you just learn and are done with. F2L really shouldn't be algorithmic. You should pretty much figure out each pair through intuition after learning the most basic F2L techniques.

As far as the PLLs, don't procrastinate G-perms! They're actually not hard and are pretty fast. I always recommend "weaving" them into the other PLLs you learn (so, learn one G-perm now and only learn another one after you've learned a couple other PLLs), because then you don't see them as "the G-perms;" you see them as "that one I know and the others I don't." Aside from this though, I'd prioritize learning A-perms, R-perms, and Ja. Those are all quite fast and come up a lot. E, F, and V are kinda bad cases no matter what, so I'd save those for last if I were you (although none of them are particularly difficult to learn).

For OLL, I'd just scroll through algdb and find some short, easy to recognize OLLs and learn those (assuming you already know 2-look OLL; if not, finish learning that first). OLL's definitely not as important as F2L and PLL though, so if I were you, I'd put most of my time into the other two.

Thanks so much DG! Sorry for not replying, I haven't been active for a while! I had no clue that the XG method was a joke. Also, I am using XG as a transition to CFOP. I have been thinking about F2L, I already knew intuitive but not algorithmic. Also, thanks for your advice on OLL and PLL, it will help me to get sub-20 and beyond! By the way, I love your YouTube channel! The content is great, and I especially enjoy your comedy skits and your Q and A videos. Keep up the great work!

onebeginning7

I am currently learning full oll right now but after I want to know what to do next besides f2l so should I learn ZBLL or VLS because as far as I know if I do VLS than it will skip oll and I won't be able to do zbll and they both have around the same amount of algs to learn so I am just wondering which one I will chose.

Hazel

Premium Member
If you're still learning full OLL, you aren't at a level where you should be focusing on either. Instead, focus on your LL recognition and TPS, and even more heavily on F2L look-ahead and efficiency. If you really do want to learn a last layer subset right now though, go with COLL for now.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am currently learning full oll right now but after I want to know what to do next besides f2l so should I learn ZBLL or VLS because as far as I know if I do VLS than it will skip oll and I won't be able to do zbll and they both have around the same amount of algs to learn so I am just wondering which one I will chose.

I agree with what @Aerma said above, but as a general rule I think skipping PLL is much better than skipping OLL. I'd definitely prioritize things like COLL and eventually ZBLL, but it is still useful to know the easy VLS/Winter Variation cases.

hadofhfo

Hi,

I'm new to speedcubing, and I have a question. So I know CFOP, with 4-look last layer, IE 2-look OLL and 2-look PLL.
Before I tried CFOP I tried Roux because it was mostly intuitive, and we have something in Roux called CMLL, which is very similar to COLL.
When I started doing CFOP, I realized that CMLL, if it was adapted to CFOP, would be pretty good, for 4-look last layer.
It didn't take much digging for me to learn that there is something like that, and it was called COLL.
Now I'm at a crossroads. Both COLL and full PLL would help improve my times, but I'm not sure which one I should choose.
Any help?
Thanks.