• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] What should I learn next?

Duncan Bannon

I would say so for sure. I would fast solves without knowing PLL. My Pb is 19.935, and I don’t know PLL. I’m learning it now. I would be sub 35 before learning PLL for sure. Mabye later. I’m learning 1 alg a day in PLL. BTW

Sandro Pastor

I would say so for sure. I would fast solves without knowing PLL. My Pb is 19.935, and I don’t know PLL. I’m learning it now. I would be sub 35 before learning PLL for sure. Mabye later. I’m learning 1 alg a day in PLL. BTW
Oh ok thanks. I'll decide what to do once I can do F2L decently fast

I want to compete in your country now :D

Where I live that isn't amazing. I'm hoping to improve a lot. I want to break NR hopefully.

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
COLL is definitely more useful if you use CFOP or ZZ. The algs are generally pretty nice, and it helps you learn to recognize corner permutation, which is a useful skill. It also lets you transition into ZBLL pretty smoothly. It's quite common to only know the ZBLL algs for certain COLL cases and not others.

Also, breaking it down to the numbers:
ELL only shows up in 1/162 last layer cases (CO * CP = 1/27 * 1/6)
COLL shows up in 1/8 last layer cases, and even more frequently with edge control during F2L (probably up to 1/4 without actually doing EO from the start).
You have a 1/12 chance of skipping PLL with COLL, and a 1/1 chance of skipping PLL with ELL.
Your chances of getting ELL and skipping PLL are 1/162, while your chances of getting COLL and skipping PLL are 1/96.

Someone correct me if my math is wrong... :p

RedJack22

YouTube
Visit Channel
COLL is definitely more useful if you use CFOP or ZZ. The algs are generally pretty nice, and it helps you learn to recognize corner permutation, which is a useful skill. It also lets you transition into ZBLL pretty smoothly. It's quite common to only know the ZBLL algs for certain COLL cases and not others.

Also, breaking it down to the numbers:
ELL only shows up in 1/162 last layer cases (CO * CP = 1/27 * 1/6)
COLL shows up in 1/8 last layer cases, and even more frequently with edge control during F2L (probably up to 1/4 without actually doing EO from the start).
You have a 1/12 chance of skipping PLL with COLL, and a 1/1 chance of skipping PLL with ELL.
Your chances of getting ELL and skipping PLL are 1/162, while your chances of getting COLL and skipping PLL are 1/96.

Someone correct me if my math is wrong... :p

Thanks for the help DG!

Zborowski-Bruchem Last Layer Layer Layer Layer Layer Layer Layer Layer Layer?
Yes. It's a method for 11x11 cubes to solve last 9 layers 9-look. You need to have first two layers complete and last layer edges oriented and last face centers placed, then you solve 3rd layer, 4th layer, and so on, until last layer is solved.

Excercise for readers: If this method was actually real, how many algorithms would it take?

RedJack22

YouTube
Visit Channel
Hey Everyone!

So I use two-look OLL (and I know a little bit of other OLL algs as well), but I was curious if I should learn full OLL before learning COLL? That's probably a stupid question, but I can do EPLL's fairly quickly, and so I figured it would be worth asking. Thank you!

Duncan Bannon

I average 24 seconds with CFOP. I use 4LLL and am color neutral. Been cubing 4-5 months on 3x3.Would a switch to Roux be good? I hear people say if only I switched earlier. Is there more to learn after CMLL and LSE? Should I just try it? Thanks and the more replies the merrier.

I average 24 seconds with CFOP. I use 4LLL and am color neutral. Been cubing 4-5 months on 3x3.Would a switch to Roux be good? I hear people say if only I switched earlier. Is there more to learn after CMLL and LSE? Should I just try it? Thanks and the more replies the merrier.
If you use 4LLL then it's not CFOP. CFOP requires full OLL and full PLL. This is like saying a phone is a tablet.

WCA
2017BRYA06
YouTube
Visit Channel
I just recently switched to roux (when I was 20 seconds with cfop) and I am now 20 second with roux and cfop so now even though roux is my main method I still use CFOP if I have like a one move cross or something, also their is more stuff to do after learning roux like pinkie pie, and influencing eo in cmll. It took me 1 month to get my in comp roux times down to the last comps cfop times (23.92 and 23.93) so if you have the time and patents sure!

xyzzy

If you use 4LLL then it's not CFOP. CFOP requires full OLL and full PLL.
What then do you want to call it? (Keep in mind that if you're being this much of a pedant about whether "CFOP" should still be applicable with 4LLL, for consistency's sake, you should also be enough of a pedant to be bothered by "4LLL" not implying anything about what the four looks actually are.)

Is there a need to "switch" at all? It's not like you can't learn and practise multiple methods concurrently, and once you have a decent grasp of how the methods work, you can just choose the method that you like best. (Note: this is not necessarily the method that currently gives you the best averages.)

RedJack22

YouTube
Visit Channel
If you use 4LLL then it's not CFOP. CFOP requires full OLL and full PLL. This is like saying a phone is a tablet.

How is that not CFOP? Yes, using Full OLL and Full PLL is "true" CFOP, but a 4LLL is just a simpler version of it. Likewise, using VLS is still CFOP, but in less steps.

U

Underwatercuber

How is that not CFOP? Yes, using Full OLL and Full PLL is "true" CFOP, but a 4LLL is just a simpler version of it. Likewise, using VLS is still CFOP, but in less steps.
VLS is its own subset and isn’t directly a part of CFOP