• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] What should I learn next?

Sandro Pastor

No problem, I did the same thing as you with learning CLL. I learned like 7 cases then got into 3x3 and forgot them. But if you dont like learning CLL stop.

I like it. There's just a bit too many algorithms for me to learn quickly. And once I learn all of them, I'll enjoy it more probably because it'll let me get faster solves. Just like F2L in the 3x3. I heard it's the most important step, so I'll try to practice when I'm not feeling some CLL. How long ago did you have this dilema?

Duncan Bannon

About 3 months ago I stoped learning CLL. Not very long. I’m now about 7 seconds on 2x2 and 30 seconds on 3x3. Ive only been cubing mabye 4.5 months.

Sandro Pastor

About 3 months ago I stoped learning CLL. Not very long. I’m now about 7 seconds on 2x2 and 30 seconds on 3x3. Ive only been cubing mabye 4.5 months.

Oh really? 4.5 months and already those averages? I'd say that's pretty good. I'm about 10-12 on the 2x2 but 8-9 when there's a CLL case that I know and 40s -1 min on the 3x3

Duncan Bannon

Max of 5.5 Months and Thank you. On 2x2, What is every step of your solve? I solve a layer, then oll, then I do either a T or Y Perm to finish. 9 algs total I believe and I am about 7 sec.

Sandro Pastor

Max of 5.5 Months and Thank you. On 2x2, What is every step of your solve? I solve a layer, then oll, then I do either a T or Y Perm to finish. 9 algs total I believe and I am about 7 sec.

Usually I do the first layer correctly and then either a CLL case I know or just a T or Y perm too I think. One of them is when a bar is done and the opposite corners are switched and then when the corners are opposite on both. It's basically beginner's method unless I get a CLL case. I tried Ortega too but it's hard to get sub 4 or sub 3 with it, which is what I'm aiming for. What cube do you have by the way? I have a Qiyi Qidi which wasn't lubed yet.

Duncan Bannon

I use a XingHen M as my main but I also really like my MF2S. (Ill start a conversation so we can talk some more)

DGCubes

WCA
2013GOOD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Keep in mind that there are 16 other events to consider! Also, you never really have to decide what your main event is. Personally, my best event is Pyraminx, but I practice all 18 because I think that's way more fun. :)

Sandro Pastor

Keep in mind that there are 16 other events to consider! Also, you never really have to decide what your main event is. Personally, my best event is Pyraminx, but I practice all 18 because I think that's way more fun. :)

I won't focus on all of them though. I've considered also getting into 4x4 and Pyraminx eventually. Maybe some OH or Blind 3x3 too but I think it's better to just focus on simple puzzles which have a lot of information available online in the beginning. But I'll eventually consider other events :D

xyzzy

Also, you never really have to decide what your main event is.

This is kind of true. I usually practise 3×3×3 the most, but sometimes I just do 4×4×4 almost exclusively for like a week until I get bored of it. Back in late 2015/early 2016 I spent a fair amount of time on FMC too. Unless you're aiming to be world class (and even then!), there's no harm in changing your "main event" as frequently as you want.

Sandro Pastor

This is kind of true. I usually practise 3×3×3 the most, but sometimes I just do 4×4×4 almost exclusively for like a week until I get bored of it. Back in late 2015/early 2016 I spent a fair amount of time on FMC too. Unless you're aiming to be world class (and even then!), there's no harm in changing your "main event" as frequently as you want.

Yes I know that I can change my main event as much as I want but I'd like to get good quickly. That doesn't mean it has to be world class although that'd be something to aim for. And since I want that, I'll have to spend some more Times in the events I want to get good at (I suppose)

For main events, I didn't really just say 'This will be my main event,' and I still don't have 1 main event. I mainly do 2x2 and skewb, after playing around with most of the events. I just found them to be the most enjoyable for me, so I practice those as my main events. I don't think you have to learn advanced methods like cll to become good at speedsolving at all.

ZenTheCuber

WCA
2016ZUIK01
I don't really have an event that i practice the most. IF your asking if you should learn CLL or F2L first, to F2L first. When you learn F2L, you'll get a lot faster as long as its efficient. It isn't that impressive if you're fast at 2x2 than 3x3. So i guess 3x3 you should get better at first.

Sandro Pastor

For main events, I didn't really just say 'This will be my main event,' and I still don't have 1 main event. I mainly do 2x2 and skewb, after playing around with most of the events. I just found them to be the most enjoyable for me, so I practice those as my main events. I don't think you have to learn advanced methods like cll to become good at speedsolving at all.

Yeah I understood what you said by main events. I know it's probably not necessary to learn advanced algs to get really good at speedsolving but it takes a lot more practice in order to do it. Besides, if I ever want to get a little bit faster and maybe "world class" I might need to learn those said algorithms. That's why I thought it was better to learn them now and get used to them.

Sandro Pastor

I don't really have an event that i practice the most. IF your asking if you should learn CLL or F2L first, to F2L first. When you learn F2L, you'll get a lot faster as long as its efficient. It isn't that impressive if you're fast at 2x2 than 3x3. So i guess 3x3 you should get better at first.

I was giving it some thought and decided to focus more on F2L as well. Besides getting faster, I also can get better at recognition and really understanding how the cube works and when the pieces go when I move them, as long as the practice is efficient, like you said. I saw a video that said I should get used to F2L first, then try to do it without moving the cube (Y, Y', Z, Z', X, X') and then being able to work on multiple F2L pairs at once. It'll take me a long time to get there but I think it's a good practice method.

Yeah I understood what you said by main events. I know it's probably not necessary to learn advanced algs to get really good at speedsolving but it takes a lot more practice in order to do it. Besides, if I ever want to get a little bit faster and maybe "world class" I might need to learn those said algorithms. That's why I thought it was better to learn them now and get used to them[/QUOTE]
That makes sense, but you said you were just starting out cubing so that's why I said that. I don't use cll for 2x2, and I am ok at it.
For 3x3, f2l is good to learn early on, and then you should learn full pll. If you want to learn full oll you can but it's not necessary.

Sandro Pastor

Yeah I understood what you said by main events. I know it's probably not necessary to learn advanced algs to get really good at speedsolving but it takes a lot more practice in order to do it. Besides, if I ever want to get a little bit faster and maybe "world class" I might need to learn those said algorithms. That's why I thought it was better to learn them now and get used to them
That makes sense, but you said you were just starting out cubing so that's why I said that. I don't use cll for 2x2, and I am ok at it.
For 3x3, f2l is good to learn early on, and then you should learn full pll. If you want to learn full oll you can but it's not necessary.
[/QUOTE]

Ok ok thanks. I'll think about full PLL in a few weeks then :D What is your average on the 2x2?