• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What Orientation do you use for Blindsolving?

Dr_Detonation

WCA
2017ECKS02
I'm making this this thread to help beginners that are just starting 3BLD find a good cube orientation.
Personally, I use green in front with white on top, which is standard WCA. I know lots of people use blue on top, red on front, though, cuz that's what Zane and Noah do.

Last edited:
WCA
2016DERO04
YouTube
Visit Channel
What in your opinion defines a "Good orientation"? Because this concept doesn't make much sense to me.

This is a matter of personal preference. There's no such thing as good or bad orientations, especially when we consider that proper BLD scrambles will randomize the orientation of the cube. Thus the official WCA notation, which is used for scrambling only, is neutralized.

Some people will use Noah's orientation so their initial learning process is eased, but once their wheels are taken off and they become independent, this will most likely not matter at all, since advanced materials will most likely apply the universally accepted notation for pieces, disregarding colors.

TL;DR: Choose the prettiest orientation.

U

Underwatercuber

Fábio sums it up. It really doesn't matter. It's like saying which is better for cfop white cross or blue cross? Both will have lucky scrambles and both are good if you use it right. It really is just personal preference

oneshot

YouTube
Visit Channel
The only advantage I can see in picking one orientation over another is if you might want to pick the orientation of whatever tutorial you are learning from to make it easier. But once you know an orientation, one isn't better than another...

mark49152

Premium Member
WCA
2015RIVE05
YouTube
Visit Channel
It's correct to say that orientation is entirely personal preference but that doesn't mean it's not a valid question. People may have reasons for their personal preferences, and a beginner who has not yet formed a preference might find it helpful to understand why others have the preferences they do.

Mine is yellow top green front. The reason is that this is my CFOP orientation. I'm a white cross solver and I learned my colour scheme for the sides by thinking of green as front, orange is right, etc., instead of by their relative positions. It would have been more difficult for me to choose a different orientation for blind.

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yellow top, blue front. I didn't really want to use white top, green front and sort of ended up with what I use. Also the orientation doesn't matter. In comp the orientation of the cube is randomised.