What matters more, Rubik's cube average or single?

Discussion in 'General Speedcubing Discussion' started by lex, Apr 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. lex

lex Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Thoughts? points? Lead me in the most sensible direction ^^

2. mycube

mycube Member

Sep 3, 2011
    Germany, Weingarten
    WCA:
    2011FRES01
    average. a good single could have everyone. but an average does tell more about the skills than a single time

EVDCubing likes this.
  3. Thompson

Thompson Member

Dec 11, 2008
    WCA:
    2008CLAR01
    shouldn't the answer be obvious? average obviously

4. TheMachanga

TheMachanga Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Chicago, Illinois
    WCA:
    2010LECH01
    YouTube:
    TheMachanga
    Average of course, but you can still get respect if you get a good single in a competition when it matters or something.

5. FatBoyXPC

FatBoyXPC Member

Nov 28, 2009
    WCA:
    2010LACH01
    YouTube:
    fatboyxpc
    You can still get respect if you're a respectable person on the community. Look at Mike Hughey, he doesn't have a sub20 average (officially) yet he's quite the awesome guy :D

6. cubingawsumness

cubingawsumness Member

Jan 16, 2012
    California
    WCA:
    2012CHIE01
    To cubers, average.
    To noncubers, they don't know about averages, so singles. Like if someone asks you what the wr is, you say 5.66, not wr average.

7. RNewms27

RNewms27 Member

Jul 31, 2011
    New Jersey, USA
    YouTube:
    Rnewms0
    If you are competitive, average. If you're like me, single. (In both meanings of the word) ;)

8. lex

lex Member

Mar 28, 2012
    haha this makes sense. kinda sad but i can it to be true

@cubingawsumness

9. retep

retep Member

Don't know if it is necessary but I guess I will re-iterate what has been said already. Averages are better indicator of skill and I mean people don't really get singles beyond like 10 seconds below their average. I honestly wouldn't believe if some one who averages say 1 min said they got a time of 20 seconds with a legit scramble (not prepared solve or like a LL only scramble) but i wouldn't be surprised if some one who averages like 13 seconds got a sub 10 time. The only time a single is really more impressive is if it is a world record or some kind of recognized feat. For example, if you really did get a 20 second single and you average 1 min, no one would really care, but if you break the world record single, people don't care much about what your average is. Of course, like I mentioned before, the best singles generally also belong to the people with the best averages, so they are rather closely related, but ya in general average is more "important".

10. Czery

Czery Member

Oct 7, 2011
    WCA:
    2010QIUB01
    YouTube:
    cswstudios
    But what about Blind? and FMC? I would assume single to be the case here.

11. drewsopchak

drewsopchak Member

Apr 22, 2010
    Central Upstate New York
    WCA:
    2010SOPC01
    YouTube:
    sebucwerd
    Needs more poll options................................ Average.

12. qqwref

qqwref Member

Dec 18, 2007
    a <script> tag near you
    WCA:
    2006GOTT01
    YouTube:
    qqwref2
    The shorter the puzzle, and the more luck, the more the average matters. I guess the extreme example might be 2x2, where single is basically completely irrelevant, and even averages of 5 or 12 have a lot of luck in them. The 3x3 is still very much a puzzle where the average matters more. When you have a really long puzzle like 8x8x8 or Gigaminx, though, the average is not really very important, because a single good solve gives enough information about how fast someone is. On a puzzle with so many individual things to do, you really can't get very lucky.

13. aznanimedude

aznanimedude Member

Feb 23, 2012
    averages are more meaningful i feel
    because you can get really lucky skips, but averages are harder to have lower times in, because it's based on multiple trials. i.e. you can have outliers, but the box says more than the whiskers

14. SweetSolver

SweetSolver Member

Apr 13, 2012
    Australia
    WCA:
    2014SWEE01
    A good average basically shows that you're not just some random cuber who got a lucky scramble. It will just show people that you're purely skilled :D

15. hcfong

hcfong Member

Aug 3, 2011
    WCA:
    2011FONG02
    Yes, in competitions it's the average that counts, but I think it's the single times that people, including cubers will be looking at. I mean, if you would be asked what the single 3x3 WR is, you would probably without hesitation say: Feliks Zemdegs, 5.66. But do you know what the average WR is, without looking it up? Chances are you don't. Or, do you know the winning average time of Michal Pleskowicz at the Worlds, without looking it up? I don't.

That's because we can see single times happening when they happen. We have videos on youtube we can watch and hear people cheer at competitions. With an average, you have to calculate it first before you know it. For example, at the Zonhoven Open, Marcell Endrey got a 3BLD WR and everybody was aware of that. Mats Valk got a very good 4x4 average but it wasn't until later that we realised it was an average WR, at least according to the information we had available at that time (we weren't aware of what had happened in Australia)

To make a long story short: In competitions it's the average that matters but popularly, I think it's single times that matter most because they give you instant results.

16. irontwig

irontwig Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Sweden
    WCA:
    2010JERN01
    YouTube:
    jernqvist
    Just because that's the way it works in competitions doesn't mean it's more indicative of skill.

17. HelpCube

HelpCube Member

Nov 16, 2009
    My Stackmat
    YouTube:
    HelpCube
    Single obviously. Luck determines your actual speed, duh...

18. applemobile

applemobile Member

Jan 8, 2012
    exeter uk
    It depends what you were intending to do. I.e I I am doing a adv. of 12, I will go slow and look ahead, but if I am goin for a good single I will absolutely Kane through F2L hoping that I will spot my pieces. The latter gives me worse Averege but throws out the best singles.

19. Cheese11

Cheese11 Member

Definetly the average. It takes skill to average a low speed consistantly. But you can easily get lucky and get a good solve.

Btw, that is a crime :)

20. mchedlo213

mchedlo213 Member

Mar 22, 2012
    Tbilisi,Georgia
    well said.