• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What Happens To Young Cube Solvers When They Get Older?

Tyjet66

YouTube
Visit Channel
"What Happens To Young Cube Solvers When They Get Older? "
- They get older. /thread

"Do they just get super fast or stop cubing?"
- This is a pointless question, every individual will approach this differently. Some continue and get faster, some tapper off and stay around the same speed or get slower, and some stop cubing all together.

qqwref

WCA
2006GOTT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I have a feeling that for most of the REALLY young ones it's as follows:
- parent basically forces kid to learn to solve
- after a while the kid gets older and it's not as impressive
- parent doesn't care about having the kid cube anymore, kid doesn't care too much either, kid stops solving
- kid either gets into cubing again when older, or occasionally tells people they used to be able to solve one when they were like three

As the age gets higher I think kids get more and more likely to really enjoy cubing and want to learn/practice it for its own sake. By age 10-12 I think every cuber is in this group. Anyone who started cubing for this reason (even if they're younger) should follow a more or less normal cuber trajectory - getting more interested in certain parts of it, becoming faster with time, maybe joining the community, and quitting at some point when they get bored of it (or get too busy to continue).

Riley

WCA
2007WOOR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I used to cube in early 2007 when I was 10-11, for fun. I took a break until 2011 when I actually learned what "speed cubes" were and that there were faster "methods" for cubing.

Last edited: