• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

What are the "best" algorithms to learn for OLL and PLL?

iiKaito

Hi there!

I was looking through The forums and found this thread "How to be sub 20".. I read the thread and it said to learn some good algs. Thing is.. I really don't know which algs are good or bad.. Does anyone kows any good algs to learn or who to learn from?

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
Hi there!

I was looking through The forums and found this thread "How to be sub 20".. I read the thread and it said to learn some good algs. Thing is.. I really don't know which algs are good or bad.. Does anyone kows any good algs to learn or who to learn from?
Here is a great website with the really good algs for all the different 3x3 sets as in from F2L-ZBLL: http://algdb.net/puzzle/333
This website by cyotheking is also great with info on all the different algs for various events: http://www.cyotheking.com/best-cubing-algs/

Please ask more questions as you have them.

Trexrush1

WCA
2013MAZU02
Its a 1LLL subset where if all of the edges are oriented, you can solve the last layer in 1 alg. There are about 500 algs, so dont learn it yet. anyway, algDB is a good website with good algs.

xyzzy

Some of these algs are really bad, no joke.

The very first one on the OLL page (U L U' R') (U L' U' R) for the standard Sune angle is (i) not Sune and (ii) has the wrong pre-AUF. There are many, many other bad algs on that page, and of course this applies to the PLL page too. The very first alg, M2 D S2 D2 S2 D M2 for H perm is like… what is this? Why?

I think it's okay to have a list of weird algs of "academic interest", even if they're not good for speedsolving, but pointing beginners at these lists doesn't seem like a good idea.

iiKaito

The very first one on the OLL page (U L U' R') (U L' U' R) for the standard Sune angle is (i) not Sune and (ii) has the wrong pre-AUF. There are many, many other bad algs on that page, and of course this applies to the PLL page too. The very first alg, M2 D S2 D2 S2 D M2 for H perm is like… what is this? Why?

I think it's okay to have a list of weird algs of "academic interest", even if they're not good for speedsolving, but pointing beginners at these lists doesn't seem like a good idea.

Thanks for pointing that out dude.. I'll try not to learn dem bad algs lol

pjk

Administrator
Staff member
WCA
2007KELL02
SS Competition Results

Yeah, there are some bad algs on there indeed that should be edited out. I think when it was originally created people just generated algs and put them on there. However, much better algs have come out but it is yet to be updated. The wiki is a community project, can you edit out the worse algs and add better ones? The AlgDB is excellent and a great resource, but the fact that 1,000 people a day use the OLL page, it's worth updating. Would appreciate your help improving that page (and the PLL page too).

iiKaito

Yeah, there are some bad algs on there indeed that should be edited out. I think when it was originally created people just generated algs and put them on there. However, much better algs have come out but it is yet to be updated. The wiki is a community project, can you edit out the worse algs and add better ones? The AlgDB is excellent and a great resource, but the fact that 1,000 people a day use the OLL page, it's worth updating. Would appreciate your help improving that page (and the PLL page too).
should i learn from AlgDB then? I started out with the wiki

cubeshepherd

WCA
2016STEE01
should i learn from AlgDB then? I started out with the wiki
There is also the cubeskills website/YouTube with a lot of good info from Feliks. For Oll there is this sheet that is nice and has some great algs: https://www.cubeskills.com/uploads/pdf/tutorials/oll-algorithms.pdf
And for PLL there is this series on YouTube that goes through all the PLL algs:

And lastly, I just came across this video (and the whole series for that matter) from Christian Kennedy talking about OLL, PLL and the whole plethora of cubing advice for various events. I have not watched much but there seems to be some good stuff there.

iiKaito

There is also the cubeskills website/YouTube with a lot of good info from Feliks. For Oll there is this sheet that is nice and has some great algs: https://www.cubeskills.com/uploads/pdf/tutorials/oll-algorithms.pdf
And for PLL there is this series on YouTube that goes through all the PLL algs:

And lastly, I just came across this video (and the whole series for that matter) from Christian Kennedy talking about OLL, PLL and the whole plethora of cubing advice for various events. I have not watched much but there seems to be some good stuff there.
Thanks dude