• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Video] ShengShou 5x5 Mod Tutorial - The WorldRecord Mod by Florian

googlebleh

WCA
2012WEEC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So, after much procrastination, I finally finished this mod, and I must say, it was definitely worth the effort. It made my SS5 super-duper fast, and after just two solves, I improved my PB by 20%. Ten solves later, I had a new PB mean of 3, average of 5, and average of 12.

One note though: I was too stingy when modding the edges. To anyone who hasn't done it yet, don't be afraid to take off a good amount of plastic, because just rounding them off won't help that much. The more plastic you take off of the edges, the more reverse corner-cutting you get on the outside layers (i.e. just modding the corners isn't going to help)

skittlez350

I did not watch the entire video yet so I do not know if this is answered in the video, but is that vet lube(maru lube looking thing) necessary? And can rough sandpaper be used instead of a dremel? I really cannot spend 20 dollars on one, let alone 30.

Ninja Storm

WCA
2012ELLI01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I did not watch the entire video yet so I do not know if this is answered in the video, but is that vet lube(maru lube looking thing) necessary? And can rough sandpaper be used instead of a dremel? I really cannot spend 20 dollars on one, let alone 30.

1. It's lube. Use lube, doesn't need to be Z-Lube.
2. Doesn't matter, just have fun taking 12 hours if you don't use a Dremel.

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02

Z-lube and Maru lube are quite similar, so it doesn't really matter. I'd use a nail file, it's hard to use rough sandpaper on some places. And imo nail file produces higher quality mods. The 12 hours are well worth it if you do it right.

Florian

WCA
2010KREY01
YouTube
Visit Channel

Use a file, works just as good. Sometimes I actually prefer a file

ThomasJE

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel

I'm using an emery board (however you spell it) and P240 glasspaper. I modded the corners on my 4x4 yesterday and I already notice a difference. I'll probably do the centers over the weekend.

cannon4747

WCA
2011vili01
YouTube
Visit Channel
what parts of which pieces do I mod?

I've highlighted the parts I think I should mod of each piece. In all honesty, the video wasn't very good at telling me which parts to mod. I need clarity before I start modding so I can avoid ruining my cube. Its only $10 i know, but I just don't wanna wait for shipping. What I've done thus far of the mod is mod the corners as I thought they needed to be and switched the springs with those in a lunhui. something I noticed about my screws is that they must be different. they look flat as opposed to rounded like the ones in the mod. pics included.

okay my first question is the screws, in the first pic it looks like the screws changed from the more rounded topped ones (in the screenshot from the mod video) like in the ss 4x4 I had lying around to the flat ones you see on the right in the second pic. Would this affect performance in any way?

http://i.imgur.com/stmH1A7.png

http://i.imgur.com/F3Ff1jj.jpg

next I had to make sure, are the highlighted in yellow parts the places I should be sanding down, or just that section closest to the sticker?

http://imgur.com/a/64SAw

I wanted to make sure I was modding the right parts.

and as a bonus heres a pic I found on my hard drive of a woman with my bro's face getting kinky with nic cage. I remember using it for a fb hack prank a while ago...

http://i.imgur.com/wKqqKsz.png

JianhanC

WCA
2010CHOO02
I've highlighted the parts I think I should mod of each piece. In all honesty, the video wasn't very good at telling me which parts to mod. I need clarity before I start modding so I can avoid ruining my cube. Its only $10 i know, but I just don't wanna wait for shipping. What I've done thus far of the mod is mod the corners as I thought they needed to be and switched the springs with those in a lunhui. something I noticed about my screws is that they must be different. they look flat as opposed to rounded like the ones in the mod. pics included.

okay my first question is the screws, in the first pic it looks like the screws changed from the more rounded topped ones (in the screenshot from the mod video) like in the ss 4x4 I had lying around to the flat ones you see on the right in the second pic. Would this affect performance in any way?

http://i.imgur.com/stmH1A7.png

http://i.imgur.com/F3Ff1jj.jpg

next I had to make sure, are the highlighted in yellow parts the places I should be sanding down, or just that section closest to the sticker?

http://imgur.com/a/64SAw

I wanted to make sure I was modding the right parts.

and as a bonus heres a pic I found on my hard drive of a woman with my bro's face getting kinky with nic cage. I remember using it for a fb hack prank a while ago...

http://i.imgur.com/wKqqKsz.png

A couple of other people and I have posted pics of our modded parts earlier in this thread. Not really, if the only difference is the screw head, and the threads are fine, as long as the center caps aren't popping out, but even then, it's no biggie, just annoying. Yup, those parts are about right, and you have to round the corner stalks too.

cannon4747

WCA
2011vili01
YouTube
Visit Channel
okay so I modded the cube successfully but I have the problem that a lot of other ppl seem to have with the springs not helping much. I partially solved this by taking apart my old ss 4x4 v1 and stacking the washers from that onto my ss5. this put a lil more tension on the springs and helps a little but what I really need is some thicker washers of the same size ss uses. If anyone knows where to buy them I'd be highly appreciative. washers from other cubes don't work because the hole is too small for normal sized cube washers. I tried searching for the smaller washers but couldn't find them outside of making custom orders with the manufacturer. does anyone else have any suggestions to make the springs go under more pressure to make the tensions we set actually work?

Last edited:

Florian

WCA
2010KREY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was thinking of maybe auction a few SS 5x5s off on ebay in the future. Is anyone interested?
I won't make alot though since I'm thinking of a starting bid of about $99.99, which is equivalent to about half of the wage I'm getting at my current part-time job. (Letting you peeps pay me my actual wage would entail too many haters)

Last edited:

KongShou

WCA
2013KONG01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I was thinking of maybe auction a few SS 5x5s off on ebay in the future. Is anyone interested?
I won't make alot though since I'm thinking of a starting bid of about $99.99, which is equivalent to about half of the wage I'm getting at my current part-time job. (Letting you peeps pay me my actual wage would entail too many haters)

Bit expensive for me. i get one if i can afford it. But yeah, VERY INTERESTED. I would love to own one of your cube.