Varying algorithyms for the 2x2 Fridrich method?

Discussion in 'Cubing Help & Questions' started by n00bCube, Mar 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. n00bCube

n00bCube Member

Jun 12, 2010
    YouTube:
    RPKGamevids
    When looking at Youtube videos and guides online, some of the algorithyms vary from guide to guide.

I was expecting each Fridich guide to be exactly the same as each other. I've also noticed on some guides, that an algorithym for a particular move, will be shorter than the algorithym used for that exact same move on another guide.

Why don't all of the shortest algorithyms that can be used for all moves just all get put together in one standard Fridich method, and for that method to be what everyone uses?

Or am I missing something here? I guess I am, so go easy on me because I'm still new to cubing. :)

2. Jedi5412

Jedi5412 Member

Jan 13, 2011
    New Zealand Christchurch
    YouTube:
    Jedi5412
    I think it also has to be the alg that suites the cuber best for example

these are some of the algs for the permutation of the 3x3 cube

T perm =[R U R' U'] [R' F] [R2 U' R'] U' [R U R' F'
    J jerm = [R' U L'] [U2 R U' R' U2] [R L U']
    j perm b = [R U R' F'] {[R U R' U'] [R' F] [R2 U' R'] U'}
    F perm = [R' U2 R' d'] [R' F'] [R2 U' R' U] [R' F R U' F]
    r perm a and b = very slow awont put algs up

these are the algs used for the ajacent swap at the end. For me i perfer the T perm like most cubers which isnt the shortest but it is the fastest
    I use the J perm at times but it is reasonable slower

3. qqwref

qqwref Member

Dec 18, 2007
    a <script> tag near you
    WCA:
    2006GOTT01
    YouTube:
    qqwref2
    Fridyrich is extremely slow foyr 2x2, so that's why noboydy bothers to stayndardize the alygorithms for it. Everyone whyo is eyven the least bit seryious about speedsolving 2x2 will learny sometyhing better, like Ortega (which only hyas like 3 extra algs).

4. n00bCube

n00bCube Member

Jun 12, 2010
    YouTube:
    RPKGamevids
    I guess I just assumed it'd be the best method since it's supposed to be the best for the 3x3

5. CubicNL

CubicNL Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Zutphen
    WCA:
    2011WILD01
    YouTube:
    CubicNL
    This...
    But commenting on Jedi5412 : I personally use R U2 R' U' R U2 L' U R' U' L for the adjacent swap

6. ben1996123

ben1996123 Banned

May 17, 2009
    Ponyville
    WCA:
    2009WHIT01
    YouTube:
    ben1996123
    R' F R F' R U2 R' U R U2 R'

7. maggot

maggot Member

Jan 6, 2010
    Phoenix
    by fridrich for 2x2 i am assuming LBL method? it is not necessarily slow, given that pll skips happen a lot more than ortega. i think it is also a good transition step for CLL since both methods start with building a layer.

why dont they use the same algs? well, because some people learn how to solve 2x2 from their 3x3 knowledge, using no extra knowledge. just like ben posted above, some people who take 2x2 seriously wouldnt use an adj swap PLL, T perm J perm. the alg is much shorter and faster (if practiced).

it is just like 3x3... there are so many things you can do with fridrich as far as customizing your solve. finding your own fingertricks and what algs are the fastest for you is the best way to get fast. some people are not willing to invest time into 2x2, as it does not interest them or they arent as ambitious. hence why we find methods that are catered toward people who understand how to solve a 3x3 but dont want to learn anything new, and methods that are catered toward people who want to break records.

8. Jedi5412

Jedi5412 Member

Jan 13, 2011
    New Zealand Christchurch
    YouTube:
    Jedi5412
    u guys know the fastest adjecent swap alg and the vertical swap alg since the y perm takes ages

9. RCTACameron

RCTACameron Member

Jul 13, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    WCA:
    2010STOL01
    YouTube:
    RCTACameron
    The shortest algorithms aren't necessarily the fastest. I use an 11 move algorithm for the adjacent swap, when I know a 10 move algorithm for it, because I find the 11 move faster. Just use the algorithms you see in the tutorial, then switch to others if you find them faster.

The reason it is very fast for 3x3, but not 2x2, is that because there are less combinations on 2x2, you can do something that takes 2 steps in Fridrich in just 1 using a more advanced 2x2 method, without having to learn hundreds of algorithms.

10. n00bCube

n00bCube Member

Jun 12, 2010
    YouTube:
    RPKGamevids
    Okay, I guess I could try Ortega, or Guimond (heard that Guimond is supposed to be really fun for some reason).

11. Kirjava

Kirjava Colourful

Mar 26, 2006
    WCA:
    2006BARL01
    YouTube:
    snkenjoi
    Silly to call this Fridrich. Go with LBL (LOP sounds dumb).