• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 30,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Member Intro] UK cuber

Thread starter #1
Hi folks,

I've been speed cubing for just over 1 year now with a sub 40-avg for 3x3 (PB 26). I am loving my recent purchase of the GTS3M :) Also do a little 2x2 and 4x4 but very slow.
I have been grinding my way through CFOP and know PLLs and perhaps half of the OLLs. Treated myself to learning the beginner Roux method recently and really enjoyed the different approach to solving, but will probably stick to CFOP for now. I'm hoping to get to my first UK competition next year.

Just for info I was around when the cube came out originally and after quite some time managed to create my own method for solving it. Basically a layer by layer approach but with only three different algs after the first layer. I picked up a cube while visiting a friends house and then checked out YouTube to solve it. I was amazed by the progress in methods and technology of the cubes and thought I'd see if I could solve in under a minute, something that was impossible with my old method. Anyway, I broke the minute barrier, but somehow that didn't seem fast enough any more.

Thanks to everyone who has posted advice on the forums, its already been a great source of information over the last year.

Alex

Thread starter #3
Thanks for the info on the competitions. None of these seems to be advertised on the UKCA website. Where would I look to find out this more comprehensive list?

Thread starter #5
Thanks for the link!

OK, I see them now. The UK champs are just down the road from Cambridge. Looks like I'll get to go to a competition sooner than expected :-O

WCA
2016STEE01
Hi folks,

I've been speed cubing for just over 1 year now with a sub 40-avg for 3x3 (PB 26). I am loving my recent purchase of the GTS3M :) Also do a little 2x2 and 4x4 but very slow.
I have been grinding my way through CFOP and know PLLs and perhaps half of the OLLs. Treated myself to learning the beginner Roux method recently and really enjoyed the different approach to solving, but will probably stick to CFOP for now. I'm hoping to get to my first UK competition next year.

Just for info I was around when the cube came out originally and after quite some time managed to create my own method for solving it. Basically a layer by layer approach but with only three different algs after the first layer. I picked up a cube while visiting a friends house and then checked out YouTube to solve it. I was amazed by the progress in methods and technology of the cubes and thought I'd see if I could solve in under a minute, something that was impossible with my old method. Anyway, I broke the minute barrier, but somehow that didn't seem fast enough any more.

Thanks to everyone who has posted advice on the forums, its already been a great source of information over the last year.

Alex
Welcome to the forums @AGBateman. It is nice to have you here. Good luck at your first competition, I am sure that you will enjoy it a lot.