• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Turning Accuracy Discussion

Cuber1974

Anyone got any tips on accuracy with turning?

I have a terrible habit of both under and over turning at present which on cubes that don't cut corners very well result in constant lockups (which makes my turns feel very clumsy and throws me off!)

Did anyone else recall when starting to cube this happening to them?

I'm trying to practise with a simple R U R' U' exercise over and over but even then I can't seem to get a constant rhythm - I still get over and under turns locking the cube. It drives me nuts lol!

Any hints or tips on how to reduce this happening other than practise?

Cheers

Last edited:

gavnasty

WCA
2009VERA01
i don't know if there is any way to reduce that other than practicing.

i think you just have to keep doing it over and over again until it gets ingrained into your muscle memory, and such.

Cuber1974

perhaps a better cube?

I thought that might be the case. At the moment I have a studio cube, rubiks speed cube, White DIY and most recently a C4U 3x3x3 speed cube.

I'm still looking to get the tension just right between speed and popping, but even then I'm having problems with just hitting that sweet spot.

I'm watching the guys online scream through their perms without missing a beat and just wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

I suspect it's inexperience, but I thought I'd ask in case there's a little trick or two I'm missing.

leeho

WCA
2010HOAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Practice slow first. Gradually speed up. Use a cube that cant cut corners at first. It helps you slow down for F2L look ahead but also forces you to go slow and you can speed up on it gradually whilst still making accurate turns.

Musje

I used a rubik's brand for a long time...

Lots of solves (and even more lockups) got me to less lockups.
Today I got my DIY and find it locking up in a different way (really feel the springs on lockups... that's the best I can describe it)

Most guides I've seen on setting tension: keep loosening a quarter of a turn until it pops (try cutting some corners) then tighten it bit by bit until it doesn't pop anymore.
This is what I did and it seems ok (some lockups but that's still usual for me)

blgentry

One technique I use for U and D turns (and U' and D') is to "catch" the layer I'm turning with my back finger. For example, on a U turn, I flick the U layer from the back with my right index finger. While doing that, I lightly rest my left index finger on the back of the U layer. When it turns I stop it with that left index. Not "hard", but if it was going to over turn, my finger stops it.

You can think of it as a cushioning or braking effect. It works for me; not sure if it will for you or not.

Brian.

ChaosWZ

honestly R U R' U' is one of my favorite triggers, so im pretty fast with it. what i do is put my right thumb on the B R edge and my middle finger on the U R edge my left thumb is on the F L edge and my left middle finger is on the B L edge. I do the R just normally U with my right pointer finger on the F U R corner R' the same way and U' with my left pointer which i put on the B U L corner so yeah it just kinda comes naturally practice alot

Lux Aeterna

[Help thread] Turning Accuracy

So I have something of a weird (silly?) question. How do I get better at making more accurate turns? I'm currently averaging about 40 seconds, which is not terribly fast, but I'm using a type IIIa. It's wonderfully smooth. Perhaps too smooth -- there's almost no tactile feedback, so I'm constantly turning too far. Since it cuts corners very well and never pops, that's not really a problem per se, but it makes most turns very clumsy and slower than they should be.

I don't know any speedcubers in person to ask, but I feel like I'm missing out on some big secret that no one bothers telling me because they think it's obvious. How do people just sort of flick a side and have it instantly turn exactly 90 degrees...? The way my cube turns, I don't see how it's possible to sustain more than 4 or 5 tps, I can't do that even on the algs I can execute perfectly smoothly (sune, edge cycles, T perm, that sort of thing). Even M2UM2U2M2U takes me 3-4 seconds...

Before everyone just says "practice, practice, and practice more", I know that's the solution to everything cube-related. I just want to know if there's something specific I should try to work on, be it practicing on a Rubik's brand cube that doesn't cut corners at all, or just practice spamming algorithms until they're fast, or get a different kind of cube, or what. I use intuitive F2L, and I know the whole point there is to just look ahead and make the entire solve a smooth motion, but that's not the problem I'm trying to work on now, the problem is basic mechanics and algorithm execution -- there's no reason for my LL to take like 15 seconds with 2 look OLL and almost full PLL, or for my cross to take almost 10 seconds even with planning the cross beforehand, etc.

Thanks

Bomber

Because you've taken a lot of effort to actually type all that I think I'll be kind, I'll try and help. To turn accurately you can't rely on 'flicking' the side exactly the right amount every time, you need a safe guard. My safe guard is having my left index finger hover over the back left corner of the top layer. This means I can 'flick' the U-layer as far as I want to whilst being safe in the knowledge that I can easily stop it.

I hope this helps, you might want to practice it if you find it cures your problem. Unfortunately being inaccurate with turning is something that usually happens if you're relatively new, it may also be because you unfamiliar with certain moves.

Last edited:

cubeninjaIV

WCA
2009HILD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Exactly what bomber said. Flick the side hard enough to do slightly more than a full turn, but let a finger on your grip hand stop the side once it has reached the proper alignment.

Chris

Assuming U turns are the only ones you have problems with. i cant see how you would have a problem with anything else though.

Edward

WCA
2011KING01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Exactly what bomber said. Flick the side hard enough to do slightly more than a full turn, but let a finger on your grip hand stop the side once it has reached the proper alignment.

Chris

Assuming U turns are the only ones you have problems with. i cant see how you would have a problem with anything else though.

D turns and M turns mabye.

4Chan

Premium Member
YouTube
Visit Channel
Use a super loose cube which pops.
Force yourself to use this cube and over time, youll force yourself to be accurate.

Because if you're not accurate, the cube pops, and you have to start all over again. I did this when i was around 25~ seconds, and it helped my accuracy.