• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Truncate to the Nearest?

Now3852

WCA
2015CALK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
So recently I was reading along the WCA regulations and I came across Article: 9, Section: f, Number: 1 - So regulation 9f1.
The exact wording is such:

"All timed results under 10 minutes are measured and truncated to the nearest hundredth of a second."

Now, I know that the thousandths place is simply truncated, but the wording of this rule is very confusing.
How can you truncate to the nearest? All you can do is either simply truncate, or round to the nearest. There is no such thing as 'truncating to the nearest'.
Is there a reason this specific wording is used, or is it just an oversight on the WCA's part?
The 'nearest' really should be removed, since as it is now, if you don't know any better, it seems to imply rounding. Not truncating. Which is what actually happens.

Lucas Garron

Administrator
WCA
2006GARR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Looks like it was an error in the 2014 changes. You should post an issue there.

Specifically, this one.

There is no such thing as 'truncating to the nearest'.

Depends whom you ask. There are over 7000 results for the phrase.

There was some disagreement over this phrase on the Delegate list, and I just made the simplest change that seemed clear enough. As you can see, I also added Guideline 9f1+) to avoid any doubt.

If you feel strongly, would you mind filing an issue directly against the Regulations?

Smiles

YouTube
Visit Channel
Capture.PNG
well here we have a hundredths number line, so what you want to do is find 0.511 and then go to the farthest point away from it:Capture.PNG
but everybody knows a number line actually goes on forever, so there is no farthest hundredth and your 7.511 becomes a DNF (did not find [farthest hundredth])

Kit Clement

Premium Member
WCA
2008CLEM01
YouTube
Visit Channel
View attachment 6912
well here we have a hundredths number line, so what you want to do is find 0.511 and then go to the farthest point away from it:View attachment 6913
but everybody knows a number line actually goes on forever, so there is no farthest hundredth and your 7.511 becomes a DNF (did not find [farthest hundredth])

Well, assuming you don't fix the tenths place, this would only be reasonable. DNFs for everyone!