• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[WR] Tomasz Zolnowski 10.07 3x3x3 average

Lucas

Wow, I was waiting to see this video.

PD: It's not easy to stop the timer so quickly (?), lol

Last edited:

Konsta

WCA
2008JUKK01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow, I was waiting to see this video.

PD: It's not easy to stop the timer so quickly (?), lol

It's very easy to stop timer sub 0.1. I think it hard to do it 0.02 or even 0.03.
I think competitions in Finland there has been a rule that 0.02 or 0.03 is a timer malfunction and sup that is a competitors fault and therefore no additional attempt.

It would be nice if someone could tell me what is the time limit for that?

Crazy average. Tomasz is the man. :cool:

DavidWoner

The Punchmaster
WCA
2008WONE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I think competitions in Finland there has been a rule that 0.02 or 0.03 is a timer malfunction and sup that is a competitors fault and therefore no additional attempt.

It would be nice if someone could tell me what is the time limit for that?

It's unfair to have the rule like that. While .02 and .03 are definitely the most common errors, they go much higher than that. My old timer would get .1x times frequently, and even a few .2x. Times like .02 and .03 are an inherent flaw in the design of the timer, but when a timer gets old and worn out they break down and start getting much higher error times. Notice that Tomasz was at the same station with the same faulty timer for all solves.

The regulations do not specify a limit for error times, it should be decided by the judge for each occurrence.

Erik

WCA
2005AKKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I dunno about the timer malfunctions. Later on I wanted to test the timer and probably started and stopped it 100 times. Not a single error. I think hickups above 0.03 are not the timer but the starters fault. Either way, even if it was human error then I am 100% sure it was because Tomasz' hands were 'kinda' shaky. ;)

masterofthebass

Premium Member
WCA
2007COHE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I hate to say it, but I really think tomasz accidentally stopped the timer with his forearms on the 2 "malfunctions" :/ .15 is not a timer error, its a user error. There needs to be a clear rule on what is a malfunction what is not.

amostay2004

WCA
2009SWEE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I hate to say it, but I really think tomasz accidentally stopped the timer with his forearms on the 2 "malfunctions" :/ .15 is not a timer error, its a user error. There needs to be a clear rule on what is a malfunction what is not.

After hearing about the two timer malfunctions, I did think of the possibility that he accidentally stopped the timer.
And after watching the video, it does seem pretty possible. You can see that during both timer malfunctions his forearm went pretty close to the timer. They might be accidental, but nevertheless still DNFs.

krnballerzzz

WCA
2006KANG01
I dunno about the timer malfunctions. Later on I wanted to test the timer and probably started and stopped it 100 times. Not a single error. I think hickups above 0.03 are not the timer but the starters fault. Either way, even if it was human error then I am 100% sure it was because Tomasz' hands were 'kinda' shaky. ;)

If what your saying is true, then the average is a DNF.

But then again,

11a) Incidents are:

* 11a1) Incorrect execution of event procedures, by officials or competitors.
* 11a2) Interference or distractions or facility distractions (such as power failure, emergency alarm).
* 11a3) Equipment malfunctioning.

11b) In case of an incident during an event the main judge of the event must decide about the outcome.
11d) If the WCA regulations are not fully clear or if the incident is not covered by the WCA regulations, then the main judge must make his decision based on fair sportsmanship, after consulting the WCA delegate.
11e) In case of an incident the main judge may award a competitor another attempt, that replaces the attempt for which the incident happened.
11f) The main judge and WCA delegate must not support their decisions with video or photograph analysis.

Based on the regulations, what's done is done... right? Too late to change anything?

Last edited:

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
11f) The main judge and WCA delegate must not support their decisions with video or photograph analysis.

Based on the regulations, what's done is done... right?

This rule ought to be reworded. So many people still don't understand that the the WCA board is not the main judge or the WCA delegate and thus can use videos/photos. Seems like every incidence someone pulls out this rule, misunderstanding/misrepresenting it.

iploman

YouTube
Visit Channel

Its possible that Tomasz stoped the timer with forearms , however some of the timers have strange ability to stop without touching them :confused: somehow they stop when u just move yours hands close enough.

Stefan

WCA
2003POCH01
YouTube
Visit Channel
some of the timers have strange ability to stop without touching them
Hmm... makes me wonder again: Do we know for certain how the stacktimer actually works? Pressure? Temperature? Electric flow? Electromagnetic field? Something else? Has speedstacks published what they're using? I just checked out their site and couldn't find any information regarding this...

krnballerzzz

WCA
2006KANG01

Based on the regulations, what's done is done... right?

This rule ought to be reworded. So many people still don't understand that the the WCA board is not the main judge or the WCA delegate and thus can use videos/photos. Seems like every incidence someone pulls out this rule, misunderstanding/misrepresenting it.

But do you think there is enough evidence to make a case?