1. Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 30,000+ people from around the world today!
    Dismiss Notice

[WR] Tomasz Zolnowski 10.07 3x3x3 average

Discussion in 'WR/CR/NR solves' started by Erik, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Erik

Erik Member

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2016
  2. Lucas

Lucas Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Wow, I was waiting to see this video.

PD: It's not easy to stop the timer so quickly (?), lol

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  3. is it a coincidence that 3x3x3 WR's get recorded on my camera and published on Erik's youtube channel? ;)

4. Konsta

Konsta Member

Jan 8, 2009
    WCA:
    2008JUKK01
    YouTube:
    Talvikoala
    It's very easy to stop timer sub 0.1. I think it hard to do it 0.02 or even 0.03.
    I think competitions in Finland there has been a rule that 0.02 or 0.03 is a timer malfunction and sup that is a competitors fault and therefore no additional attempt.

It would be nice if someone could tell me what is the time limit for that?

Crazy average. Tomasz is the man. :cool:

5. DavidWoner

DavidWoner The Punchmaster

May 7, 2008
    Kansas City, MO, USA
    WCA:
    2008WONE01
    YouTube:
    vault312
    It's unfair to have the rule like that. While .02 and .03 are definitely the most common errors, they go much higher than that. My old timer would get .1x times frequently, and even a few .2x. Times like .02 and .03 are an inherent flaw in the design of the timer, but when a timer gets old and worn out they break down and start getting much higher error times. Notice that Tomasz was at the same station with the same faulty timer for all solves.

The regulations do not specify a limit for error times, it should be decided by the judge for each occurrence.

6. kickinwing2112

kickinwing2112 Member

Aug 3, 2008
    YouTube:
    kickinwing2112
    the first sub 10 average is getting close, nice solves

7. Erik

Erik Member

I dunno about the timer malfunctions. Later on I wanted to test the timer and probably started and stopped it 100 times. Not a single error. I think hickups above 0.03 are not the timer but the starters fault. Either way, even if it was human error then I am 100% sure it was because Tomasz' hands were 'kinda' shaky. ;)

8. masterofthebass

masterofthebass Premium Member

May 13, 2007
    Denver, CO
    WCA:
    2007COHE01
    YouTube:
    masterofthebass
    I hate to say it, but I really think tomasz accidentally stopped the timer with his forearms on the 2 "malfunctions" :/ .15 is not a timer error, its a user error. There needs to be a clear rule on what is a malfunction what is not.

9. rahulkadukar

rahulkadukar Member

Oct 11, 2008
    New Brunswick
    WCA:
    2009KADU01
    YouTube:
    kadukarahul
    @AVG : Get a good camera phone :p

10. rahulkadukar

rahulkadukar Member

Oct 11, 2008
    New Brunswick
    WCA:
    2009KADU01
    YouTube:
    kadukarahul
    and then they dont get broken.

11. amostay2004

amostay2004 Member

Jul 27, 2008
    Malaysia
    WCA:
    2009SWEE01
    YouTube:
    gingerman2408
    After hearing about the two timer malfunctions, I did think of the possibility that he accidentally stopped the timer.
    And after watching the video, it does seem pretty possible. You can see that during both timer malfunctions his forearm went pretty close to the timer. They might be accidental, but nevertheless still DNFs.

12. krnballerzzz

krnballerzzz Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Alpharetta, GA, USA
    WCA:
    2006KANG01
    If what your saying is true, then the average is a DNF.

But then again,

11a) Incidents are:

* 11a1) Incorrect execution of event procedures, by officials or competitors.
    * 11a2) Interference or distractions or facility distractions (such as power failure, emergency alarm).
    * 11a3) Equipment malfunctioning.

11b) In case of an incident during an event the main judge of the event must decide about the outcome.
    11d) If the WCA regulations are not fully clear or if the incident is not covered by the WCA regulations, then the main judge must make his decision based on fair sportsmanship, after consulting the WCA delegate.
    11e) In case of an incident the main judge may award a competitor another attempt, that replaces the attempt for which the incident happened.
    11f) The main judge and WCA delegate must not support their decisions with video or photograph analysis.

Based on the regulations, what's done is done... right? Too late to change anything?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  13. blade740

blade740 Mack Daddy

May 29, 2006
    WCA:
    2007NELS01
    YouTube:
    blade740
    We've always done the same as finland: .02 and .03 are timer malfunctions, but anything higher is a result of a "sliding start"

14. mcciff2112

mcciff2112 Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Pittsburgh, PA
    WCA:
    2009MCCA01
    Awesome record! Congrats!

15. Stefan

Stefan Member

May 7, 2006
    WCA:
    2003POCH01
    YouTube:
    StefanPochmann
    This rule ought to be reworded. So many people still don't understand that the the WCA board is not the main judge or the WCA delegate and thus can use videos/photos. Seems like every incidence someone pulls out this rule, misunderstanding/misrepresenting it.

16. iploman

iploman Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Poland, Katowice
    YouTube:
    iploman

Its possible that Tomasz stoped the timer with forearms , however some of the timers have strange ability to stop without touching them :confused: somehow they stop when u just move yours hands close enough.

17. Stefan

Stefan Member

May 7, 2006
    WCA:
    2003POCH01
    YouTube:
    StefanPochmann
    Hmm... makes me wonder again: Do we know for certain how the stacktimer actually works? Pressure? Temperature? Electric flow? Electromagnetic field? Something else? Has speedstacks published what they're using? I just checked out their site and couldn't find any information regarding this...

18. prażeodym

prażeodym Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Poland, Bialystok
    WCA:
    2008PADL01
    YouTube:
    tchesyo2
    yes it's soo true. In Wrocław Open In 1 timer We Can Start it without touching it :D just putting hands near timer :D

19. krnballerzzz

krnballerzzz Member

Mar 28, 2006
    Alpharetta, GA, USA
    WCA:
    2006KANG01
    But do you think there is enough evidence to make a case?

20. this video was recorded on a camera phone. I think the quality isn't bad at all, but zoom would be nice