• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

thoughts on my 3x3x3 solution guide?

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Thoughts:

1) Buying a good cube is not a step for learning how to solve the cube

2) You skip cases - edges flipped, etc.

3) Toward the end, a lot of the graphics are not lined up where they should be relative to the text

4) if you're going to include a notation section, a written description should be included, not just pictures.

5) The cube graphics - especially the big one at the start - need to be better quality (i.e. straight lines, no extra pixels floating around, etc). There are online cube generators that will create high quality graphics for you.

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
1) Buying a good cube is not a step for learning how to solve the cube

I am leaving it there anyway because I am anti-Rubik's

2) You skip cases - edges flipped, etc.

I added that one, are there any others worth mentioning that would not cause formatting issues

3) Toward the end, a lot of the graphics are not lined up where they should be relative to the text

they are all lined up properly for me so there must be some formatting problems

4) if you're going to include a notation section, a written description should be included, not just pictures.

I am not sure how useful that would be, considering most people learning how to solve a cube just look at the images anyway.

5) The cube graphics - especially the big one at the start - need to be better quality (i.e. straight lines, no extra pixels floating around, etc). There are online cube generators that will create high quality graphics for you.

I want a stickerless cube in the images and alg.cubing.net does not provide that

CraZZ CFOP

WCA
2018HUGE02
Instead of adding cases, add a troubleshooting guide at the end. Include things like: How to solve the daisy if one edge is flipped
What to do if one corner is not in the right slot or is twisted
What to do if one edge if flipped
What to do if one edge is in the wrong slot
How to tell if the cube is unsolvable in the last few steps, and how to fix that
Also add a section on how to get faster (The are much faster ways to do Step 4, and fingertricks are key.)

cuber314159

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Norther...
WCA
2016EVAN06
YouTube
Visit Channel
Instead of adding cases, add a troubleshooting guide at the end. Include things like: How to solve the daisy if one edge is flipped
What to do if one corner is not in the right slot or is twisted
What to do if one edge if flipped
What to do if one edge is in the wrong slot
How to tell if the cube is unsolvable in the last few steps, and how to fix that
Also add a section on how to get faster (The are much faster ways to do Step 4, and fingertricks are key.)
How do I put such a thing in without breaking my rule of 8 pages, should I just make an extra bit or something?

Tabe

WCA
2017TABA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
I am leaving it there anyway because I am anti-Rubik's
Well, that's up to you. But it's still not a step in solving the cube.

they are all lined up properly for me so there must be some formatting problems
It appears to depend on what device the document is viewed on. Looked fine on another I tried.

I am not sure how useful that would be, considering most people learning how to solve a cube just look at the images anyway.
Explaining that it means clockwise and counterclockwise is helpful. And it would be a lot more useful than including a step that isn't solve-related at all (the cube suggestions).

I want a stickerless cube in the images and alg.cubing.net does not provide that
Fair enough. I would still suggest upgrading the images. I mean, the main large one has speckles all over it.

carl888

Your cross is a 3 step process, make daisy at bottom - allign and move to top - turn cube over. please reduce this instruction to make daisy on top to eliminate the whole cube rotaion step it's just nasty.