• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

This forum needs new mods

PJKCuber

WCA
2014KULK02
I agree with the thread title -- it would be really nice to have some new mods. The vast majority of moderation is done by Brest and me, and it's a lot of work, so some more help would be fantastic.

I'd be ready to become a mod and help you guys. But I probably can't do much. But I'd like too. :)

D

Deleted member 19792

I agree with the thread title -- it would be really nice to have some new mods. The vast majority of moderation is done by Brest and me, and it's a lot of work, so some more help would be fantastic.

I would help. Cures boredom. I've had experience with vBulletin and some experience with Xenforo. They are relatively alike with moderation systems.

Last edited by a moderator:

elrog

YouTube
Visit Channel
@ DeeDubb - I completely agree with the deletion of the second example you gave. It is ok to have a humorous comment, such as the one you replied to, but there's no reason to reply to it. You just clutter things up by doing so. If it is funny, other people will see it too. However, I do not think you should receive an infraction point for making a useless post unless you do it often.

I personally, like to spend more time in the Puzzle Theory and Constructive Speedcubing Discussion forums because there are less useless posts. I also tend to stray away from the General Puzzle Discussion forum because of all of the useless junk in it.

Last edited:

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
I would be happy to help with forum related stuff, be it moderation or something else, but I have a feeling that would be a bad idea since I disagree with many things that the current moderators do. If my "help" would create a rift among the people who take care of the forum, I wouldn't want to do it. I'm also less experienced than many others here.

One issue that I have noticed is that the moderators often seem to focus on cleaning the forum up in what seems to me to be the wrong way. Deleting off topic or useless posts doesn't do very much to help. All it does is save about 1 second of scrolling. Meanwhile, there's a much bigger problem: bumping threads is considered a bad thing. This results in multiple threads containing the same information being made, which clutters the forum and makes the information less organized and less accessible, instead of old threads being revisited and improved. I don't have a solution to this problem; I'm aware that some threads ARE bad bumps, and it's not going to be obvious to everyone what should be bumped and what shouldn't. But, it's worth being discussed by the moderators. Or at least, more worthwhile than deleting off topic posts.

I don't have a very specific list of things the moderators have done that seem unreasonable to me, just a few miscellaneous examples. One would be the event in the user ElectricDoodle's signature. The thing labeled "I don't like it? I ban you." I think that's poor moderation, and an example of mods being more strict than benefits the forum. Go take a look. http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/member.php?9550-ElectricDoodie

I've seen other examples of users being given infractions for nothing. In particular, one user who has a history of breaking forum rules was recently given an infraction for a post that wasn't particularly useful but was also completely benign, and it appeared to be for no other reason than his past.

If you guys are looking to expand the moderation team, a person who I think is worth offering a position is Michael Gottlieb. He's already a leader on here in his own way; he's very knowledgeable, and I think he would benefit the moderation team.

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel

I think you are doing well, and your explanation to me about the warning post was fine. That's one that I was totally fine with. I just posted it to be transparent about posts I have been warned about.

You guys have a very difficult job in moderating such a diverse community. I just want a little bit more consistency in who gets moderated. Like I said, I don't know if it's out of fear of upsetting better cubers, or if the tenured posters are closer to the mods personally, but there is quite a bit of inconsistency. Also, it wasn't you are Brest that deleted my first 3 posts. I don't want to call anyone out though. I think this person was trying to clean up two pretty heated discussions (feet and bigBLD). I think he/she went overboard a bit though.

FailCuber

WCA
2011CHOI04
I'd like to be a mod too. I have experience of mod in Minecraft Forums ( it's a forum for minecraft obviously) .

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
Wow I actually got nominated by Jayden! Will this help though?

I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. You joined the forums recently. I don't think any brand new people should be put in the position of moderator until they've been here long enough to prove that they have the maturity to make the right decisions. This excludes you. It also excludes me, which I'm fine with.

I'd like to be a mod too. I have experience of mod in Minecraft Forums ( it's a forum for minecraft obviously) .

Same with above. I don't think any brand new people should be seriously considered to be a moderator.

EDIT:

To be a bit more constructive and offer a suggestion. I would honestly offer someone like Kirjava a position of moderator. HERE ME OUT! He's been here a long time, and he pushes the envelope a bit, but I find those types of people, when given a position of authority, tend to shape up and do a great job. When I was in the Army, usually the most offensive people were put in charge of human relations issues. They know what's right and what's not, because they dance that line more than anyone. It sounds really weird, but it my experience, it usually turns out well. Plus, they do not shy away from upsetting people in the line of being fair.

Last edited:

PJKCuber

WCA
2014KULK02
I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic. You joined the forums recently. I don't think any brand new people should be put in the position of moderator until they've been here long enough to prove that they have the maturity to make the right decisions. This excludes you. It also excludes me, which I'm fine with.

Same with above. I don't think any brand new people should be seriously considered to be a moderator.

I completely agree with you. I was just trying to help. Being a mod doesn't mean so much too me anyway.

pewpewrawr

To be a bit more constructive and offer a suggestion. I would honestly offer someone like Kirjava a position of moderator. HERE ME OUT! He's been here a long time, and he pushes the envelope a bit, but I find those types of people, when given a position of authority, tend to shape up and do a great job. When I was in the Army, usually the most offensive people were put in charge of human relations issues. They know what's right and what's not, because they dance that line more than anyone. It sounds really weird, but it my experience, it usually turns out well. Plus, they do not shy away from upsetting people in the line of being fair.

I get the feeling kirjava wouldn't want to be a mod, he doesn't seem like the type of person who would want to spend his time babysitting people, he just likes to troll I think.

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
I get the feeling kirjava wouldn't want to be a mod, he doesn't seem like the type of person who would want to spend his time babysitting people, he just likes to troll I think.

As one of those types, I found the best way to deal with them is give them some responsibility. I understand it's kind of radical, but I feel like I can spot the ones who do want to help but get frustrated and lash out a bit because they don't have any way to. Maybe I'm way misguided though.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
EDIT:

I agree with this. I also vote that Kirjava gets an offer to be a mod.

pewpewrawr

I also agree that kirjava should receive an offer to be a mod, I'm just not sure if he would accept it. I'm inclined to believe that someone like him, who has frequented this forum for so long and contributed as much as he has, may have already been offered the position at one point in time. I'm probably wrong though.

DeeDubb

WCA
2014WHIT07
YouTube
Visit Channel
Kirjava would either be the best mod ever or the worst mod of all time. I can't see him anywhere in the middle.

Deedubb and Daneman seem like excellent choices; assuming they would want the responsibility.

Daneman has been here a lot longer. I would like to contribute, but I haven't earned it yet. I appreciate the sentiment though :)

TheNextFeliks

WCA
2013POPE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Kirjava would either be the best mod ever or the worst mod of all time. I can't see him anywhere in the middle.

Yeah. I feel he would make some controversial decisions that'll lead to the resurrection of this thread.

DeeDubb and Daneman seem like excellent choices; assuming they would want the responsibility.

No offense, but those two have been here less than a year. That's not very long.

Edit: Nevermind I thought Dane man was someone else. I have nothing wrong with them.

Last edited:

waffle=ijm

Waffo
WCA
2008MANA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Team Kir4Mod

I like that.

I also agree that kirjava should receive an offer to be a mod, I'm just not sure if he would accept it. I'm inclined to believe that someone like him, who has frequented this forum for so long and contributed as much as he has, may have already been offered the position at one point in time. I'm probably wrong though.

There has been some history which has not allowed it.

Also he has a 5+ page long infraction list.

pewpewrawr

There has been some history which has not allowed it.

Also he has a 5+ page long infraction list.

Lol ya I've heard of this, he can act quite silly at times. :p
Still though, I think he deserves it more than anyone else. Maybe the entire forum would turn to chaos, maybe not. It would be interesting to see what would happen.