• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

guusrs

WCA
1982RAZO01
Another remarkable world statistic:

In the past 12 months only 3 cubers achieved sub 26 moves in FMC...... all from the Netherlands, Ron, Erik and myself (@TwenteOpen).

okayama

WCA
2009OKAY01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Congratulations Guus and Okayama with your 25 and 26 (official) PB solutions!
It was nice meeting and competing with you.

My FMC scores:
1 38 HTM first official non-DNF on a crappy solve
2 30 HTM Getting me joined 3rd place :) there were actually 5 people with 30 moves
3 DNF couldn't find anything decent
Congratulations to all three PB. solution :)

Thank you all, and congrats Guus on your win with beautiful 25-move solution.
Here are my solutions including AsR (3rd one).

FMC 1st scramble: D L2 D' R2 B2 D' U' B2 L' F' R D' U' F2 U B F' L2 B2 U2
FMC 1st solution: B U B2 F' U' B' L' U' F2 U L' U L U2 L' U L' U L' U R U' L2 U R' F' L2 F L (29 moves)
30min backup solution.

NISS solve.

(Normal)
2x2x2 block: B U B2 F' U' B'
2x2x3 block: L' U' F2

(Inverse)
Pre-scramble: L F2 U L B U F B2 U' B'

F2L minus 1 slot: L' F' L2 F *
Finish F2L: U' L' U' L
All but 3 corners: U' L U2 L' U' L U' L'
Correction: L F2 U L B U F B2 U' B'

Insert at *: R U' L2 U R' U' L2 U

FMC 2nd scramble: U' B2 U' L2 F2 D2 F2 R D2 U' R2 B L' D2 F' L2 D R' F2
FMC 2nd solution: F U' B' R B' F L2 F' L D' L D L' D' L D L' D2 B2 F2 U' B L' D B2 D' L F2 L' D B2 D' L F2 D R2 B2 (37 moves)
(For inverse scramble)
Pre-scramble: B R' B U F'

Two squares: B2 R2 D'
F2L minus 1 slot: B' U F2 B2 D2

I struggled with finding a nice finish, but couldn't find in time. :fp
The clock was ticking, and I decided to give up, and write a safe solution as follows.

(Switch to normal)
Pre-scramble: D2 B2 F2 U' B D R2 B2

F2L minus 1 slot: F U' B' R B'
More square: F L2 F'
All but 2 twisted corners: L D' L D L' D' L D L'
Correction: D2 B2 F2 U' B * D R2 B2

Insert at *: (L' D B2 D' L F2)x2
(the first place I found, searching from the end, in order to twist two corners by 12 moves)

FMC 3rd scramble: B2 F D2 F R2 F' D L B2 D2 F' U2 R F2 L' R D B R
FMC 3rd solution: B R L D R' D' L' D R F L F2 L' F2 U' F R2 F2 R2 F2 R D F U F B (26 moves)
Pre-scramble: D F U F B

2x2x3 block: B R * D U'

Again I faced with a difficulty to find a nice finish after that.
And I decided to break 2x2x3 block and do something as follows:

More c/e pair: U F L
More c/e pair: F2 L' F2
Back to 2x2x3 block: U'

Then continuation was quite easy:

All but 3 corners: F R2 F2 R2 F2 R
Correction: D F U F B

Insert at *: L D R' D' L' D R D'

I wrote down this solution in the last few minutes, and I couldn't search the whole skeleton for insertion. But Guus checked it after that, and found two-move cancellation was the best possible. :)

Last edited:

guusrs

WCA
1982RAZO01
My solve on round 1 of Twente Open 2012:

L2 U2 D B U2 B' D2 B U2 L R' D2 F R F' U F U2 R U F R2 F2 D' B' (25)

I choosed [B'] as pre-scramble move on the normal scramble. Why? I Explain later.
2x2x2 block: U2 D' B L
not happy with continuation so I searched for inserted moves, possibilities: L, L2 and L' before first move. L2 worked out best:
so: 2x2x2 block: L2 U2 D' B L (5+1)
pseudo 2x2x3: R' D (7+1)
undo pseudoness with extra pre-move D' (7+2)
So premoves [D' B'] F2L-1: F R2 (9+2)
switch to the inverse scramble with this start as pre-moves: [R2 F' D2 R L' B' D U2 L2]
F2L-1: B D (2+9)
many possibilities to finish f2l, I choosed for most cancellations on next step (ELL)
F2L: F2 R2 F' R2 F R (8+9)
ELL: R' F' R2 U' R' U2 F' U F R (12+9) -- 6 moved cancelled!
again one move cancelled with pre-move correction which gave the following edge frame with 3 corners left:
B D F2 R2 F' U' R' U2 F' U F R R2 F' D2 R L'@ B' D U2 L2 (20)
at @ insert U2 B' D2 B U2 B' D2 B, 3 moves cancel
inverting the solve gives the solution above

Why did I choose B' as pre-move in the beginning? Let me explain.
- 3 moves make a pair on the regular scramble ( U', R2 and L')
- 3 moves make a pair on the invere scramble ( U, R, R2, L, and B)
Because each "pairing-move" can also be used a pre-scramble-move, there are 16 ways to start with a 1-move-pair.
These are simple too much possibilities to investigate, so I had to pick only a few of them.
Then I had a look at number of the bad pairs after the scramble. Bad pairs are adjacent corner-edge pairs that are wronly paired up. This scramble had 6 bad pairs. Which is about average.
I choosed B on the inverse scramble and B' as pre-move on the inverse scramble because this move unlocked 2 bad pairs while all other pairing-moves did not unlock any bad pair.
This tactic is based on the assumption that less bad pairs in a scramble are possibly easier too solve, at least easier to find a good block build.
I cannot prove this, purely intuitive assumption.
Since three months or so I use this trick to prevent getting lost in too many, good or bad, possible starting moves.
And this time it worked out very well.

Happy with this, a PB-2, I never did so many tricks in a competition solve. ;-)

Last edited:

kinch2002

Premium Member
WCA
2009SHEP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Great solve - it's nice to see a good official result that has lots of cool tricks in :). You finally got something that reflects your overall ability
...Because each "pairing-move" can also be used a pre-scramble-move, there are 16 ways to start with a 1-move-pair.
These are simple too much possibilities to investigate, so I had to pick only a few of them.
Then I had a look at number of the bad pairs after the scramble. Bad pairs are adjacent corner-edge pairs that are wronly paired up. This scramble had 6 bad pairs. Which is about average.
I choosed B on the inverse scramble and B' as pre-move on the inverse scramble because this move unlocked 2 bad pairs while all other pairing-moves did not unlock any bad pair.
This tactic is based on the assumption that less bad pairs in a scramble are possibly easier too solve, at least easier to find a good block build.
I cannot prove this, purely intuitive assumption.
Since three months or so I use this trick to prevent getting lost in too many, good or bad, possible starting moves.
And this time it worked out very well...
This is an interesting concept I've not heard of before. You say that 16 is too many possibilities to investigate, but how did you know that using the B' pre move would unlock 2 bad CE pairs? It's obvious how you can see these things fairly quickly when just trying the 8 original moves, but switching to the inverse/normal moves everything around so how can you see what the result is without trying all the 8 possible premoves?

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
Just like regular pairs or blocks are preserved when appying NISS / premoves I guess the same would go for bad pairs.
Along the same lines: breaking these bad pairs and then performing NISS /premove would keep the pairs broken.

Big thumbs up to Guus for always sharing his knowledge.
He was sharing this concept at the competition with his direct competitors.
Even after "complaining" ;) that he should have never introduced people to NISS.

I think it would be great if the other guys would share their 30 move solution too.
I know one of Sebastiens solves has got a very interesting edge insertion :)

Sebastien

Premium Member
WCA
2008AURO01
Oh you mean my "L' M" sub30 fail solution?

The story behind this: I found a 3-edges left skeleton with 24 moves at like 57 minutes. Ignoring time running out I decided to go for it, stickered the 3 edges and wrote down the way to the 3-cycle on my result sheet already. Then I rushed through the skeleton trying to find a mediocre insertion and was very pleased to find a spot where the last 2 moves I had done cancelled with the first two moves of a regular 10-move edge commutator. I wrote it down, erased the 4 move cancelling and this was quite exactly the moment when Ton yelled "Stop writing!".

Then I looked back on my paper and say, that after those 4 moves cancelling away there was L' M in the solution. Oh well, the podium would not have been so nice if I had seen this earlier ;)

I unfortunately can't provide my whole solutions, as I didn't keep my scrap sheets.

kinch2002

Premium Member
WCA
2009SHEP01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Just like regular pairs or blocks are preserved when appying NISS / premoves I guess the same would go for bad pairs.
Along the same lines: breaking these bad pairs and then performing NISS /premove would keep the pairs broken.
I should have thought about it a bit longer because now it's obvious to me that CE pairs are preserved when you invert the scramble. I kind of wish I had gone and joined in the FM fun.

Mirek

Congratz to Tomoaki for his 25-move linear solution FMC#388 which is even shorter than his 27-move 1-hour soulution (not the same scrambe, of course). Is this an unofficial world record?

Erik

WCA
2005AKKE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
MEGA FMC competition

Hey all, for those of you who are interested in competing in a mega-FMC competition with at least 6 attempts of FMC:

It's important we find a date this summer where we are all available. Not many people appreciate the art of FMC so it's crucial we find a suited date!

Please mail (contact.akkersdijk [at sign] gmail.com) or PM me about your availability on the following dates:
1. June 2 and 3
2. June 9 and 10 (iceland open same weekend)
3. June 16 and 17
4. June 30 and Juli 1 (La Montagne open same weekend)
July (i´m on vacation plus Czech open probably)
5. July 28 and 29
6. August 4 and 5 (US nationals same weekend)
7. August 11 and 12
8. August 18 and 19
9. August 25 and 26

It will be a 2 day competition in Enschede, the Netherlands with plenty of time in between attempts to discuss solutions and some other events to refresh our minds for the next attempt!

Last edited:

Mirek

Wow :) Also, 11 move F2L for Guus in that round - incredible!

Right. And if Guus knew the optimal 11-move LL he could have gotten 22-move solution, an UWR in linear solve. Remember, he knows all 10-move LL algorithms.

Cubenovice

Forever Slow
And he mentioned during the Twente Open that's he learning the 11 move cases too!

I've never been a fan of learning algs but as I am currently doing OLL (~50) I just might do LL up to 10 next...

LOL at myself for looking up the 10 moves cases yesterday (and downloading the full 1100+ LL alg list).

irontwig

WCA
2010JERN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
40-ish that are exactly 10htm and about as many that are 9 or less ircc, now when you mention it maybe I should finish learning them, at least before Enschede if I can come.

Last edited: