• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

The Boomerang Method - an intermediate-level BLD technique for corners

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hi folks!

I wrote a description about my currently used BLD corner method. Someone taught me years ago, and since I can't find it (or similar) anywhere on the net, I named and published it.

You can find it here:

http://renslay.byethost11.com/boomerang.html

(EDIT on)

If byethost is unavailable, try this link:

Boomerang method

(EDIT off)

The description above is actually pretty detailed (maybe too...), contains explanations, advices and example solves as well.

Basically it is a preorientation-used 2-cycle method, which could sound horrible - however, through the nice and fast shortcuts, it is pretty fast. I found it well-balanced between the difficulties of the memorization, the executation and the number of algorithms to learn.

A 14 seconds example solve (no exception, no parity, some shortcuts):

Keywords:

• Piece-by-piece / 2-cycle solving with fast algorithms such as (U R' U' R)*3
  • Many easy, handy shortcuts (make the memorization and the execution shorter)
  • Little to zero setups
  • Zero thinking during execution, minimal thinking during memorization
  • Short, permutation-only memo-queue
  • < 17 seconds to solve on average
  • 10-20 algorithms to learn / understand
  • Preorienting as disadvantage

Last edited by a moderator:

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yes. I taught him. If I remember well, now he uses BH; which is a bit hard for me (I understand it perfectly and know all the commutator types, just extremly slow with it).

Last edited:

IQubic

WCA
2014CASP01
This is a great method, I soooooooooooo want to use it. When i do M2/Boomerang, i cant possibly see a way to deal with parity. What i need is a way to deal with parity, if any exist for M2/Boomerang BLD solving.

Edit:
If i would have just looked at the page, an exmple M2/Boomerang Parity Alg thing is given.

-IQubic

Last edited by a moderator:

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This is a great method, I soooooooooooo want to use it. When i do M2/Boomerang, i cant possibly see a way to deal with parity. What i need is a way to deal with parity, if any exist for M2/Boomerang BLD solving.

Edit:
If i would have just looked at the page, an exmple M2/Boomerang Parity Alg thing is given.

-IQubic

(I see that you asked 3 weeks ago, I still feel an urge to answer. :) Sorry for that. )

Yes, there is description for the M2/Boomerang parity alg, in the end of the permutation section. But for any other edge BLD method, a parity alg can be easily constructed depending on its side-effect and possibly in the order of the execution (corners-first or edge-first).

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Yeah, finally I've found Boomerang home thread. I can do blindfold Boomerang and M2 separately but I can't join them, my memory is very very bad :(

Keep praticing, and if necessary, spend a little more time on memorizing.
Bond your memorized items to familiar objects / persons, like your family, favorite actor, pet, etc.
Also usually the funnier (weirder, obscener, etc.) things you have to memorize, the easier to recall it.

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Alternate preorientation algs:
Case B (antisune): U' R2 U' (R' U R' U2')2 (R' U R' U' R2).
Case D (L/triplesune): [U2, R2 U' R' U R' U' R2] = U2 (R2 U' R' U R' U' R2) U2' R2 U (R U' R U R2).

First alg I got from CE, second alg I got from Brest :)

Renslay

WCA
2005HANT01
YouTube
Visit Channel
This looks really interesting, how nice is the transition to 3style?

Some of the shortcuts are already 3-perms, which can help you focusing 2 slots as next step. I would say that the transition to 3OP is fairly easy and straightforward. However, the transition to 3style could be a bit harder, dealing with orientation and permutation is a huge step.

I would say that from OldPochmann it is a good intermediate step toward 3style. Also in scrambles where the preorientation is easy, Boomerang / 3OP can be easier than BH (unless you are already a master of BH).

However, if you can already manage 2 targets at once, I'm afraid this method cannot bring you much closer to 3style.