Sydney Autumn 2012

Discussion in 'Official WCA Competitions' started by Dene, Nov 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. March 24

31.7%
  2. March 31

26.8%
  3. April 7

36.6%
  4. April 14

56.1%
  5. April 21

56.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Dene

Dene Premium Member

Dec 5, 2007
    WCA:
    2009BEAR01
    YouTube:
    masterNZ
    Alright Sydney cubers, you want a competition, so we're going to try and kickstart you. Tim has already mentioned in the speedcubing in Sydney thread about trying to find a venue. Now it's time to get serious. You guys need to pick a date that suits. We need to pick a date now, well in advance, and we need as many Sydney cubers as possible to be able to show up.

We plan on having the competition in April, sometime around the Easter holidays. Easter is on Sunday the 8th of April, 2012. In the poll I have put dates around that weekend. You can vote for multiple options, but please only vote if you intend to commit to attending at that time (obviously if a more important commitment comes up then you will have to pull out). The point is, please make sure that you, at present, have no reason to believe that you would not be able to attend. We want to make this happen so that official WCA competitions in Sydney can occur on a more regular basis for the cubers there, so we need your co-operation. If this tournament falls through the cracks then there may never be another chance for a Sydney comp. Make it happen or miss out!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  2. kirtpro

kirtpro Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    WCA:
    2010PROT01
    YouTube:
    kirtpro
    11pm right now, i think parents are asleep so i dont think i can ask them a recommended date. Tomorrow at school I'll try asking friends who cube if they wanna come.

edit:
    mum says any date would be fine. nsw school holidays span through the weekends of April 7, 14 and 21.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  3. Mal

Mal Member

Apr 28, 2011
    Australia
    YouTube:
    PS3Cuber
    I would prefer the 24th of March because I have stuff to do in April. I will probably come.
    And would some Melbourne Cubers come?

4. Dene

Dene Premium Member

Dec 5, 2007
    WCA:
    2009BEAR01
    YouTube:
    masterNZ
    Yes obviously Melbourne cubers would come, but while I would also like them to vote, we are most interested in what Sydney cubers want, because this competition is for them.

5. Damien Porter

Damien Porter Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Wollongong, Australia
    WCA:
    2012PORT01
    I would prefer not the actual weekend of Easter, but any where near it sounds great.

Can't wait for my first WCA competition.

6. Moops

Moops Member

Any of those dates are good for me. Preferably on a weekend, Saturday is best.

7. pappas

pappas Premium Member

Jun 22, 2009
    straya
    WCA:
    2010PAPP01
    Having it on the weekend of easter is kinda stupid.

8. Dene

Dene Premium Member

Dec 5, 2007
    WCA:
    2009BEAR01
    YouTube:
    masterNZ
    I would like you to go through the database and find a competition that wasn't held on the weekend. When you fail, come back and feel free to acknowledge how silly your comment was, thanks :p

Why? I'm pretty sure the vast majority of people in this country don't actually celebrate Easter other than to eat lots of chocolate.

9. pappas

pappas Premium Member

Jun 22, 2009
    straya
    WCA:
    2010PAPP01
    Well I'm pretty sure easters a day when lots of family stuff happens for a lot of people, so its most likely inconvenient for lots of people. I think I'm in sydney over easter but I doubt I'd be able to go.

10. Dene

Dene Premium Member

Dec 5, 2007
    WCA:
    2009BEAR01
    YouTube:
    masterNZ
    Well we'll see. Obviously if not many people can't make it on Easter weekend then we won't host it then so it won't be a problem :p . That's exactly what this thread is about! <3

11. Moops

Moops Member

12. Dene

Dene Premium Member

Dec 5, 2007
    WCA:
    2009BEAR01
    YouTube:
    masterNZ
  13. aronpm

aronpm Member

Sep 9, 2009
    ShenYang Open 2011 (Tuesday 4th of October)
    Suzhou Open 2011 (Monday-Tuesday 3-4th of October)
    DJ Speedcubing Open 2011 (Thursday-Friday 15-16th of September)
    Iran Open 2011 (Thursday-Friday 1-2nd of September)
    Trinoma Open 2011 (Monday 29th of August)

14. Dene

Dene Premium Member

Dec 5, 2007
    WCA:
    2009BEAR01
    YouTube:
    masterNZ
    Hush you. My point still stands. 5 out of how many hundred?

15. kirtpro

kirtpro Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    WCA:
    2010PROT01
    YouTube:
    kirtpro
    lol

Today i asked a couple friends, found four who are interested to join.

16. aronpm

aronpm Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Those were just the ones shown on the recent list. I'm sure there are a lot more.

17. Tim Major

Tim Major Platinum Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Melbourne, Australia
    WCA:
    2010MAJO01
    Interested != will. Who would sign up and turn up. Someone made a post about people who'd come to Perth. By the looks of it, Perth won't have enough people and it would be called off.

18. kirtpro

kirtpro Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    WCA:
    2010PROT01
    YouTube:
    kirtpro
    um, if you're asking for the names of those interested then...
    Jonathan
    Ida
    Franky
    Alex

they havent been to a WCA comp before, Alex has come along for a meetup though

19. clifford2704

clifford2704 Member

Aug 16, 2011
    Sydney
    YouTube:
    D4rkfang
    I'm interested in a competition, preferably on the 7th or the 14th

20. andojay

andojay Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Melbourne, Australia
    WCA: