• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Suggestion] Remove the feature allowing everyone to see each others like count

Ksh13

WCA
2016HARA02
YouTube
Visit Channel
While this isn't much of a problem right now, in the future as the forum gets more used to likes, I fear that people will post a lot of stuff only to get likes, not caring about actual quality discussion. This already happens a lot at a different forum I frequently visit, and there they even disabled this a couple of years ago. Likes will still be a way to show your support for a post and all that, but this prevents people from trying to get likes just to show off their amount of likes.

Matt11111

WCA
2014PINN02
YouTube
Visit Channel
but everyone here is clever its not like the youtube comments where noone cares and its farely anonymous i dont think anything bad will happen
Right. Unlike some YouTube commenters... Ok, a lot of them... We actually have something to say most of the time. It's not like a thread will be posted this afternoon saying "Like if you're watching in 2016."

turtwig

I think that most of the time we're still saying something meaningful to the discussion, and it's great that sometimes a kind of irrelevant post is really funny and gets a lot of likes.

stoic

Premium Member
WCA
2013DEAR01
Surely one of the purposes of the system, over time, is to allow people to judge who the good posters are? What you're describing is just one of the natural consequences you'd expect, rather like new members padding their post count.
If the intention is to allow one to "show support for a post" then we should have downvoting for those who disagree. Personally I love to see a good negging and it makes for a much more ... interesting ... dynamic; although I understand it's not really that type of forum.

Oh and, thanks to everyone contributing to the discussion. I just liked every post in this thread.