Suggestion: avatar file size limit

Discussion in 'Help, support & suggestions' started by aronpm, Apr 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    62.2%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  3. Depends

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  1. Carson

Carson Premium Member

My thoughts:

Dimensions: 100x100 or 120x120 is about as large as anyone should get. Though I don't think this is necessarily needed, it would be sorta nice.

File size: Yeah, this should probably be raised a little. For those with slower connections, you should be caching images, so it shouldn't slow anyone down for long.

Gifs: Not needed, and would probably be annoying. It would probably be a pain for the mods to handle all of the reports of people being stupid with them.

Ponies: One of the most ridiculous trends on this forum.

2. masterofthebass

masterofthebass Premium Member

May 13, 2007
    Denver, CO
    WCA:
    2007COHE01
    YouTube:
    masterofthebass
    on the internet*

3. Stefan

Stefan Member

May 7, 2006
    WCA:
    2003POCH01
    YouTube:
    StefanPochmann
    My avatar is 2.24KB and it's perfectly alright. I find 20.0KB very high already. Animations are just annoying. Where can I vote "no"?

4. ~Adam~

~Adam~ Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Earth
    WCA:
    2011GREE03
    I don't want a debate with you but that sentence is definitely debatable.

edit - before you respond it kind of makes me feel like you are staring deep into my soul with bad intentions.

5. Stefan

Stefan Member

May 7, 2006
    WCA:
    2003POCH01
    YouTube:
    StefanPochmann
    What do you mean? If you mean you don't like my picture so it's not a good example, then I'll point to your own which still is only 4.76KB.

6. Kirjava

Kirjava Colourful

Mar 26, 2006
    WCA:
    2006BARL01
    YouTube:
    snkenjoi
    Sometimes I find it hard to get enough detail for the image I want in 80x80.

7. ~Adam~

~Adam~ Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Earth
    WCA:
    2011GREE03
    So anyway I think you can put plenty of personality into the current avatar and don't really need changing.
    I remember when I frequented a forum with and bad internet connection, ridiculously large avatars and poor computer knowledge. It sucked.

8. Stefan

Stefan Member

May 7, 2006
    WCA:
    2003POCH01
    YouTube:
    StefanPochmann
    With 80x80, even uncompressed true color is under 20KB. And gifs are already allowed. So this is solely about animated avatars, not gifs. I recommend you fix your tl;dr and the poll accordingly (neither your whole first post nor the poll even mention animations at all).

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  9. peterbone

peterbone Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Lewes, England
    YouTube:
    peterbone
    I think 80x80 is fine when you see the avatars in the forum threads but when you go to someone's profile you expect to see it larger. So larger avatars could be allowed, which will show up in a user's profile but in the threads you would see a resized 80x80 version.

10. aronpm

aronpm Member

Sep 9, 2009
    1) I assumed it would be obvious that by GIF I meant animated. Nobody uses GIF for anything else.
    2) I didn't make the poll but ok

11. Stefan

Stefan Member

May 7, 2006
    WCA:
    2003POCH01
    YouTube:
    StefanPochmann
    I count ten non-animated GIFs on this page.

And in any case I'd prefer saying what you actually mean rather than something that only vaguely suggests it (and the people who don't know GIF's animation capability won't even know what you're talking about (and what they're voting on (sneaky))).

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  12. izovire

izovire Member

Sep 22, 2009
    WCA:
    2009VROO01
    YouTube:
    izovire
    My avatar is a GIF... (I can't remember its size)

I got it from mf8.com. Dayan uses the same gif but it has a smiley that smokes a cigarette.

13. pjk

pjk Administrator Staff Member

Mar 13, 2006
    Bangkok
    WCA:
    2007KELL02
    YouTube:
    pjkcards
    As Stefan mentioned, 20KB is more than enough. Keep in mind on each page, an avatar is loaded 10-30 times, so we want to keep it reduced, even if it is being cached a lot of the time.

In regards to animations: they are distracting and unnecessary. Also, you'd be shocked how many people still browse on slow connections.

After talking with other mods about this, we all agree that avatars are fine as they are and don't need to be larger (dimension or file size wise).

14. SenorJuan

SenorJuan Member

Sep 26, 2014
    U.K
    Bump: 4 years on, and computers, internet speeds, mobile devices are all improved, and the website has had some appearance changes.
    Apart from being a bit small, the existing avatars are also square (at maximum). As the width doesn't appear to negatively affect screen layout, and 4:3 ratio is a common photo AR, how about an increase to 120w x 90h (or 160 x 120?), with a corresponding modest filesize increase?

And re: animated gif's, I dislike them, and would be happy if they were not permitted (if this is a concern about larger file-sizes)