• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Stickerless vs Stickered

Which do you use?

• Stickered

Votes: 100 29.9%
  • Stickerless

Votes: 235 70.1%

• Total voters

xyzzy

a lot of times there is no "red", it's an awful pink.
Do you mean actual pink (e.g. stickerless Yuxin 8×8 and higher) or a red that looks sort of like pink in poor lighting (e.g. most Moyu cubes)?

ReversedPlus

As someone who is not fully colorblind, but has trouble distinguishing colors, stickerless cubes are a nightmare to me. Although I do really like the feel and look of a premium stickerless cube, using one in any lighting other than perfect lighting is impossible to me. I rely on color blind shades, I am not being "picky" with my shades. I can understand why people think that stickered cubes will be soon discontinued (I, unfortunately, do too) but I really hope they do not.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
As someone who is not fully colorblind, but has trouble distinguishing colors, stickerless cubes are a nightmare to me. Although I do really like the feel and look of a premium stickerless cube, using one in any lighting other than perfect lighting is impossible to me. I rely on color blind shades, I am not being "picky" with my shades. I can understand why people think that stickered cubes will be soon discontinued (I, unfortunately, do too) but I really hope they do not.

If your case was unique you might be right, but you are far from unique in mild colorblindness. For that reason, even if there were no others, I suspect that stickered cubes are here to stay.

xyzzy

I rely on color blind shades, I am not being "picky" with my shades.
If you have a stickerless cube with a split-piece design (e.g. Valk or GTS2), have you tried replacing one of the colours you can't easily distinguish with black pieces from another cube? For example, something like this. Whether this works depends on the exact type of colour blindness you have, but it's still worth trying if you prefer the feel of stickerless cubes and are willing to spend a bit of money to experiment, imo.

Actual pink.
Hm. Far as I can recall, it seems that it's mainly the budget cubes (… and Yuxin's very big cubes) that use pink instead of red. Maybe non-cubers might prefer that, or maybe pink dye is cheaper.

AlphaSheep

WCA
2014GRAY03
Grip and texture on stickered cubes is far far better. Stickerless cubes slip in my hands more easily. As several people have mentioned, the shades on stickerless cubes are seriously ugly. I also prefer the black borders around the stickers as I feel it aids my recognition (I acknowledge that this is something that would change with practice). Lastly, I don't know how maintenence could possibly be an issue for stickered cubes because I have done 10000 solves on a cube and the stickers aren't at all chipped, just slightly scratched. After 1000 solves on a stickerless cube, the pieces are just as scratched. I don't know what people do to get stickers as chipped as they are.

One Wheel

WCA
2016BAIR04
I know this forum has a weird obsession with minimizing thread counts but sometimes it's nice to see what people are using in May 2017 instead of what they were using in February 2015...
I see that when I answered the poll I said I preferred stickered cubes. Now the only stickered cubes I use are 2x2 (because I don't care to upgrade), 4x4 (I'd seriously consider switching, but I've got a really good Blue M in black), and feet (because they don't make a stickerless Big Sail, and I'd really like to have black and pink sides on my foot cube). I prefer stickerless big cubes for recognition, especially for centers.

I think the only trouble with stickerless cubes, is when you get crystal ones :p

Other than that, it's actually comfortable not having to worry about scratching your stickers and the shades are usually nice enough in the eyes, so I use them to practice. Although in the end, I use stickered for actual solving with high contrast shades.