• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Stickerless vs Stickered

Which do you use?

• Stickered

Votes: 100 29.9%
  • Stickerless

Votes: 235 70.1%

• Total voters
WCA
2016BOUC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Ok, I really could not find a thread that just talked about the all-around idea of stickerless vs. stickered cubes. I found a lot about one specific cube, or if they are banned or not from competition.

I want you thoughts on stickerless cubes. Overtime I pick up my friends I get lost in the colors. I really like how stickers cubes have the black outlining each color. Does anyone else get confused using stickers cubes. It would be nice not to have to worry about stickers chipping or falling off, but I've grown accustomed to my shades and feel good knowing that I can get different company cubes and put the same colors on them.

What are your thoughts on using one or the other?

Do you like one more than the other?

Does anyone else get lost looking at a stickerless cube?

Ordway Persyn

WCA
2016PERS01
YouTube
Visit Channel
I don't really get lost looking at one, though I've had a sticker less 2x2 and 3x3 for a while.

I use sticker-less cubes for fun and gives a nice alternate look to stickered cubes. I like my cyclone boys feiwu, and i also like
the sticker-less wittwo more than my black one,

I like sticker-less look about the same as stickered cubes, and my recognition is about the same. (better than white cubes for me)

DarkCuberXX

YouTube
Visit Channel
well i like stickerless cube's a lot.
my experience with sticker and stickerless cubes is that the cubes with stickers are better.
but maybe i am wrong.
i use the Dayan guhong ( a stickerless cube)
for the cube with stickers is the moyu weilong my main. and it is a lot better.
so i think stickered cubes are better. but i like the look of it a lot.

Ingo

At the moment i like stickerless cubes more than the others and i use them more often than my black or white cubes.
I get the same times on stickerless and black cubes. White cubes seem to slow me down a bit.

dan41

I barely took about a dozen solves to get used to it.
Then I stuck with it because I was spending more time cutting off peeled stickers on the other...

When I came back to stickered I was confused for a few solves...
I cannot explain the cost of switching like that, which never goes away.
For me, it's the transition that is confusing, not the solves once used to it.

My stickerless zhanchi is too noisy and catchy and I always found it ugly. I prefer my quiet smooth black stickered zhanchi. Don't ask me why the same brand and model have so distinct cubes...

I will either pile up replacement stickers or make my own with colored vinyl electrical tape (which sticks better and appears thicker).
This way I will stay on black stickered.

---

There must be money in brown envelopes to protect the interests of vendors of stickers for the stickerless cube to still be rejected in competiton... The faster the cubers are, the less they have time to see the inside color, which is only visible during the turn! No, this delay must be about money. Hope they prove me wrong.

Ilse

Do you also have the low light problem with stickeless cubes? In my experience, I see the colours better on stickered cubes. This is only in low light. In low light I can't see the colours well on a stickerless cube. Do you also have this problem?

Dash Lambda

WCA
2016SCHU05
A lot of the time, stickerless cubes will use a full-bright scheme instead of half-bright. That reduces the contrast between opposite colors, making them harder to discern in poor lighting.
Stickers can be good and bad in low light, just depends on the colors you choose. That's the biggest reason I prefer stickers, the colors aren't inseparable from the cube.

pipkiksass

YouTube
Visit Channel
I find the QiYi shades aren't as bad as the Dayan stickerless, really used to struggle with those unless every light in the house was on.

Also my Yuxin Blue stickerless is harder to solve in low light that my WuQue, as Dash says, due to opposite colour contrast. The QiYi shades are OK for red/orange and green/blue, but white/yellow contrast on stickerless cubes will always be an issue.

Back when I used stickered cubes, my colour scheme incorporated a kinda mustard yellow to contrast with white, and a sky blue to contrast with fluro green, specifically because I mainly cube in low light.

Maybe get a GoPro with a light, and film all your solves?! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fear

The thing with stickerless cubes is that you lose the contrast with black (or white, fine) that you get with stickered cubes. That makes recog marginally more difficult in poor lighting.