Speedcubing "Utility"

Discussion in 'Software Area' started by FoxWolf, Feb 10, 2012.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. FoxWolf

FoxWolf Member

Sep 28, 2010
    Amherst, Nova Scotia, Canada
    YouTube:
    Grogerian
    Hey everyone!

So, I have recently started a project for a piece of software, which right now is available for a -beta- release. I am looking for feedback on it, and I plan on keeping this up to date as progress has been made.

Updates below completed 3:08 PM Friday, Feb. 10th (2012) ATL
    Future implementation

Known bugs

Things marked with !! are the next intended update. [Estimated time of completion: Feb. 17th]

(There may be intermediate updates, but I'll make sure to say there has been :))

Please note, this is a non-exhaustive list of implementations, these are the main ideas at this given time, and all, or none of these may be implemented depending on the difficulty of the task, and other resources.

I have every intention of completing this program, but sometimes life gets in the way.

If there are any items users here think would be beneficial (and required) for a program like this, please message me privately.

If you wish to use the current release of the program you can download it here:

http://gleg.biz/files/speedcube utility.zip

The source code is not yet available. As the program becomes more complete (and better structured) source will be available. The program is written in C#, WFA. You must have a windows computer to run the setup.exe file :) [in case you didn't know that]

Virus Scan:
    scan.jpg

Program Image:
    program.jpg

Last edited: Apr 28, 2012
  2. PandaCuber

PandaCuber Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Uruguay
    YouTube:
    brusinque
    Very very nice.

One thing that I would like to see in a timer. Multiple method training.
    On your #7 on future, you put F2L, OLL etc training. Could you make on for Roux? For Petrus?

3. FoxWolf

FoxWolf Member

Sep 28, 2010
    YouTube:
    Grogerian
    I have every intention of allowing the user to select his/her own training session. But yes, Roux, Petrus, K4, etc. would all be implemented by default.

4. asportking

asportking Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Michigan
    YouTube:
    asportkingSoF
    Not bad! I haven't used it much, but it looks like it works great. I like the nice, simple design. If you could do even half of you plan on doing with it, you could have a REALLY useful timer, especially with that algorithm section.

5. PandaCuber

PandaCuber Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Uruguay
    YouTube:
    brusinque
    YAY. <3

I downloaded your Timer.
    It doesnt have scrambles. How is that going to work?

6. FoxWolf

FoxWolf Member

Sep 28, 2010
    YouTube:
    Grogerian
    As stated in the future implementations, they are coming. It is one of the next things on my list :p

7. PandaCuber

PandaCuber Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Uruguay
    YouTube:
    brusinque
    ok, just checking.
    Well overall. Amazing timer. Keep it up.

8. Escher

Escher Babby

Jul 23, 2008
    WCA:
    2008KINN01
    YouTube:
    RowanKinneavy
    This looks great, I hope you get round to implementing all these features (and more) - an overarching utility for speedcubing is a big project to aim for but there's definitely a market for it. The WCA integration seems a pretty original and useful feature.

I'm sure you could outsource some work to other members of the community if you felt the need, there are plenty of awesome and generous programmers around. It might be a good idea to send a beta test to some specific members of the community to get targeted, helpful feedback, or suggestions.

9. FoxWolf

FoxWolf Member

Sep 28, 2010
    YouTube:
    Grogerian
    This is something I am definitely considering, as things become more complex with the program and I actually restructure my code (probably tonight), I will look for some people that may be interested in doing some parts of the project.

10. DaKrazedKyubizt

DaKrazedKyubizt Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Planet Earth.
    YouTube:
    DaKrazedKyubizt
    Is there a Mac version?

I really hate my MacBook sometimes...

11. jla

jla Member

Aug 31, 2010
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    WCA:
    2011LANG01
    YouTube:
    jla477

There's always a solution ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2016
  12. FoxWolf

FoxWolf Member

Sep 28, 2010
    YouTube:
    Grogerian
    Possibly, I'll be checking into this. I know I can develop with MonoDevelop and, I may be able to set out a Mac Release. If I can I certainly will.

If not, this should run if you have the .NET framework installed on your mac, using wine (the mac variation) as shown in the post above me.

13. FoxWolf

FoxWolf Member

Sep 28, 2010
    YouTube:
    Grogerian
    BIG Update

So, I wanted to note that there is going to be a big update tonight/tomorrow, probably closer to the latter.

This update involves an entire overhaul of the program, data structures have been restructured, sloppy code re-implemented, etc.

Along with this, the source code will be made available for those who *request* it (in private message).

Many new classes, and new data layout for files, made to better handle the program.

Things appear faster at this stage, however some functionality has been temporarily lost. When the new update is out, you *must* completely delete the folder that contains the program in it, including the "Solves" folder which contains all the previous session data.

Important things added to this release:

If you populate all times, view all times after reopening the program, or switch to separate cubes, you can now see which times received penalties or indicators (+2), (POP), (DNF).

Averaging data will be more-precise... taking into account penalties and DNF's, and should properly give correct values... (Only gives incorrect numbers if there are penalties to account for).

if time is DNF, only displays "(DNF)".

More averaging structures: [3 of 5] DNF, DNF, DNF, 20.00, 20.00 == DNF

etc.

----------

- Lobie

14. PandaCuber

PandaCuber Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Uruguay
    YouTube:
    brusinque
  15. FoxWolf

FoxWolf Member

Sep 28, 2010
    YouTube:
    Grogerian
    Updated!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Please post any bugs found while using the program so I can log them and fix them:

http://gleg.biz/files/speedcubing program.zip

(Fixed a quick bug)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2012
  16. PandaCuber

PandaCuber Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Uruguay
    YouTube:
    brusinque
    i downloaded it. but on different computer. wont let me install.
    "Missing required files"

17. FoxWolf

FoxWolf Member

Sep 28, 2010
    YouTube:
    Grogerian
    I'll look into it, and re-upload it tonight.

Problem is fixed, re-uploading now. .. same link

uploaded

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  18. Gallifrey

Gallifrey Member

Hey... if you like I could make a mac version-I know how to program on a mac so you don't have to use wine or that type of things
    If you want me to please give me the full detail so I can make it as close as I can to the normal one.

19. PandaCuber

PandaCuber Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Uruguay
    YouTube:
    brusinque
    Very nice.
    Quick thought.
    Maybe you could make the 'Scramble' box smaller? Cause its a huge box, bigger than the actual timer box, so maybe make timer a tad bigger and scramble box a tad smaller .

Remember, just a thought. And the pic is big.
    EX:
    [​IMG]

20. FoxWolf

FoxWolf Member

Sep 28, 2010
    YouTube:
    Grogerian
    Thanks for the picture! Also shows me another problem with the program that I didn't notice on my end!

In response to the size of the box, it is that size due to the length of some scrambles, even only considering 7x7x7 which nearly fills the box... 11x11x11 fills the box entirely.

I may however scrap some scrambles, or implement the scramble in a different way once I think about possible ideas.

This is certainly something I am considering...

In addition to that, I should note that the timer text can't really get larger, since it nearly fills up the left and right boundaries as it is. I may be able to make it a little bit larger, I'll try and implement these changes for Friday =)