speedcubes.net (new website)

Discussion in 'Hardware Area' started by Stefan, Feb 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.
  1. Stefan

Stefan Member

May 7, 2006
    WCA:
    2003POCH01
    YouTube:
    StefanPochmann
    I've been working on a few cubing websites for a while, one is now somewhat ready. Example views:

3x3x3 centers: http://speedcubes.net/puzzle.php?puzzle=3x3x3&compare=center
    3x3x3 names: http://speedcubes.net/puzzle.php?puzzle=3x3x3
    3x3x3 summaries: http://speedcubes.net/puzzle.php?puzzle=3x3x3&summaries=1
    3x3x3 cube4you: http://speedcubes.net/model.php?puzzle=3x3x3&model=1

The site's goal is to offer competent help with these common questions:
    Identification: What cube is this? How does cube X look like?
    Source: Where can I get cube X?
    Evaluation: How good is cube X? What is the best cube?

Though regarding that last aspect, the introduction page quickly adds that there's no globally best cube and why.

Besides the technological advantages I see over forum threads and wikis, I also like the idea of independence. We here have our own stuff spread across the site, the Germans, the Vietnamese and quite possibly other communities have their own as well. I'd like to bring us all together in a nicely done place, to get more and better information.

There's still a lot to do, but due to new motivation I finally at least got it to a reasonable and useful state to show. And I'm working on it. Check out the News page for a brief plan of how I intend to progress, check out the other pages for more explanations.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2010
  2. Yes We Can!

Yes We Can! Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    WCA:
    2009DIEC01
    YouTube:
    FCCZJ1903
    Good page!
    Hopefully there won't be too many "Best cube for speedcubing" anymore :)

3. Mr.Toad

Mr.Toad Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Thanks Stefan, it's looks great.

4. andyt1992

andyt1992 Guest

when i get my uk store site up and running we'll have to swap links. your site is cool now there might be less "which is" and "where are" and "how do I" threads.

5. PHPJaguar

PHPJaguar Member

Dec 5, 2009
    That's terrific!

6. PeterV

PeterV Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Canada
    WCA:
    2008VERH01
    Looks great, Stefan! I've had a quick look around the site and I'm quite impressed with it. Keep up the good work!

7. GermanCube

GermanCube Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Germany, Hamburg
    WCA:
    2010SCHR01
    YouTube:
    GermanCube
    Nice homepage, good structure and not too many words.

I like it.

8. Cride5

Cride5 Premium Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Scotland
    WCA:
    2009RIDE01
    I like it! Excellent work, especially with the detailed photos! I'm looking forward to seeing the new ratings system - its something the community has long been needing.

My only worry is that a site managed by a single person always runs the risk of becoming stagnant if the maintainer loses interest and moves on. Are there any plans to allow for user accounts so that others can add cubes, images etc? If this were possible, it would make it a great community resource.

9. miniGOINGS

miniGOINGS Member

Feb 27, 2009
  10. Stefan

Stefan Member

May 7, 2006
    WCA:
    2003POCH01
    YouTube:
    StefanPochmann
    Thanks. I'm fairly happy with them, though I might retake some I'm not so happy with. Still getting used to my camera. But first I'll of course add stuff that's not there yet.

Well, yours isn't bad. But yeah, I do think it's better with a good database and interface, and combined with a model catalog. I'm glad you're interested in this, cause I'm interested in starting off with the data you've collected already. Thinking of importing it and have people confirm/update the data in the new system. Possibly changing rating aspects in the process, for example if you think that a scale should be renamed or replaced. I hope you're ok with this and we can talk about that a bit later, right now adding and validating/correcting puzzle data is the priority.

Yes, like briefly mentioned in the plan on the News page, I do intend and hope for others to participate. I imagine the usual structure roughly with these capabilities:

Administrator/Host: Me. Can obviously do everything.
    Moderators: Selected competent people I trust. Can add/update data (includes accepting what normal users have submitted).
    All users: Everyone. Can rate their puzzles, submit puzzle names/pics/data/links/comments, flag links/names/etc as correct or wrong.

Haven't decided on the details, that will come step by step and I'll see how it goes and adapt. But you get the idea. Ideally, I provide the system but aren't necessary for maintaining it (doesn't mean I won't, just that I'm not needed).

11. iSpinz

iSpinz Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Illinois
    WCA:
    2010INKJ01
    YouTube:
    iSpinz
    Looks good! I hope I will be able to help with this!(hint hint) And like Cride said, the photos are very nice.

12. koreancuber

koreancuber Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Seoul, Korea, South Korea
    YouTube:
    kimcuber
    Wow. Great work! It must have taken days to finish the webpage. Nice job, and thanks for the reviews.

13. Stefan

Stefan Member

May 7, 2006
    WCA:
    2003POCH01
    YouTube:
    StefanPochmann
    Hmm, there aren't any reviews yet. I've been thinking about letting people submit reviews along with their rating, like it's done at for example Amazon or general product review sites. Possibly also letting people rate and comment on reviews so you'll see the "most helpful positive/negative review". But that might be overkill, so I haven't decided yet.

14. koreancuber

koreancuber Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Seoul, Korea, South Korea
    YouTube:
    kimcuber
    Ok, but if you want a review, I have one about Type C I and a Type A V. http://www.speedsolving.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18904

15. aznmortalx

aznmortalx Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Really plain atm, but I'm sure the site will grow. It's nice that you have a general plan for the site's future too :D

16. Stefan

Stefan Member

May 7, 2006
    WCA:
    2003POCH01
    YouTube:
    StefanPochmann
    I was thinking more of rather short textual reviews. If someone has more to say and discuss or show in photos or even video, I think forum threads or youtube are still better for that. But that could be linked to or embedded. In any case, I'm still what I consider stage 2, so ratings/reviews shall come a little later (in a few days, I hope). Particularly I first want to be sure that the models are accurately named so people don't rate the wrong model, and that the links to shops are accurate so that people don't buy the wrong thing (wrong in the sense of wanting something else). That's why there's stage 2 and the red warning on the top of every page.

Well, I've been thinking about it every now and then in the past year or so, and I have a fairly clear vision of what I want to do. I'd say it's all rather straight-forward, though, and if speedcubing were a company, this might exist already.

Now... back to work.

17. daniel0731ex

daniel0731ex Member

Dec 10, 2008
    great site! there is just one more thing that counld be better is that maybe you could put the brief description and comaprison about the type Cs (original, normal, retooled, and ver.1.5)

also, the "unknown" cube is a Type D.

18. Stefan

Stefan Member

May 7, 2006
    WCA:
    2003POCH01
    YouTube:
    StefanPochmann
    Yes, definitely. Though if models actually differ (in how they look/feel/behave), then I intend to actually treat them as different models. I'm not particularly familiar with these models and I think I think I only have one or two of them, but I'll check it out when I get to it. I'm covering the puzzles in somewhat random order and it just takes some time.

Thanks. I suspected that, but this is one I bought from ebay with no name given, so I wasn't sure. I do have one or two that I bought as "D", still want to compare that. Just in case I do see tiny differences, I'll replace the pictures with those of the cube I know is a D. But it's good to have your judgment, I do know you're familiar with many models.

Preparing more stuff now, will probably upload tomorrow.

19. daniel0731ex

daniel0731ex Member

Dec 10, 2008
    actually, i meant putting them all under the type C page,
    just add brief descriptions about the differences in center pieces.

the key to be able to identify different cubes is to pay attention to small details and read a lot of posts about cubes:p

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  20. Stefan

Stefan Member

May 7, 2006
    WCA:
    2003POCH01
    YouTube:
    StefanPochmann
    If that's the only difference and doesn't affect the feel/behaviour, then yes I'll just describe it on the same model page and add a picture showing the differences.

Yeah, and sometimes the differences are indeed really small, like the Sheng En fakes or these:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]