• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

Speed memoing

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel
I had an idea for a challenge: memoing as fast as possible.

So, you memorize the cube, stop the timer, and put a blindfold on. Once the blindfold is on, you can review memo (without looking at the cube) as many times as you want before solving it, and the solving time doesn't matter. The challenge is, quite simply, look at the cube for the smallest amount of time possible before you're committed it to memory well enough that you can complete the solve.

For the best in the world at 3BLD, this will probably be a useless challenge since they already don't review their memo. So try it with 4BLD. :p

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Hmm, that sounds fun. I wonder if the world class 3BLD people would get even faster 3BLD memo times trying this? I think this could be good practice to improve my big cube BLD memo times. I'll probably try this in the near future. Thanks for the thread, that's a cool idea.

Riley

WCA
2007WOOR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My input: I would think that reviewing memo afterwards isn't useful if you're trying to speed memo. Why not just show you memorized quickly by executing right after?

This does give me some inspiration to push my memo however... especially on 4BLD, which I've never tried with no review.

cmhardw

Premium Member
WCA
2003HARD01
YouTube
Visit Channel
My input: I would think that reviewing memo afterwards isn't useful if you're trying to speed memo. Why not just show you memorized quickly by executing right after?

Speed cards record holders review after they memorize and before they arrange the second deck. If the goal is to minimize memorization time, then it absolutely makes sense to take a review period after memorizing to solidify and finish encoding everything in your mind.

Riley

WCA
2007WOOR01
YouTube
Visit Channel
Speed cards record holders review after they memorize and before they arrange the second deck. If the goal is to minimize memorization time, then it absolutely makes sense to take a review period after memorizing to solidify and finish encoding everything in your mind.

That makes sense. For me, when I try to push my memo, I often fear I will forget what I memorized if I do not utilize it fast enough. But now I see the purpose of this. If I try to memorize a cube as fast as I can, I usually will forget a few letter pairs, often the first few edges or the last few (after solving corners). But with this, I should have read more closely: "look at the cube for the smallest amount of time possible before you're committed it to memory well enough that you can complete the solve". Recall before rather than later.

IRNjuggle28

YouTube
Visit Channel

Simply because I didn't think of this with improving BLD times as the motive. I thought of it as a challenge that's separate from regular BLD. The challenge isn't to memo well enough to immediately execute a solve, it's to memo well enough to not have to look at the cube again.

Last edited:

Hazel

Premium Member
Sorry to bump an old thread, but somebody mentioned speed cards here and I'm currently trying to improve my memo time because it currently takes me just about a half hour. Does anybody have any techniques or tricks I could use to improve besides just doing it over and over?

Cale S

WCA
2014SCHO02
YouTube
Visit Channel
Sorry to bump an old thread, but somebody mentioned speed cards here and I'm currently trying to improve my memo time because it currently takes me just about a half hour. Does anybody have any techniques or tricks I could use to improve besides just doing it over and over?

Convert each card into an image, then memorize them along a path of rooms you know well (to visualize the order) and find ways to link the images

I just make letter pairs by letting ace = A, 2 = B, 3 = C, etc. and spades = S, Hearts = H, etc. and use my BLD letter pairs