• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[Help Thread] Skewb Discussion and Help

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
Could somebody post an alg for that case View attachment 3323 CLL+U center :(

No, instead force another centre solved whilst solving CLL. When I'm back at home I'll make a video.

Basically, you look at the top centre. If that goes to the front or back slot you can solve CLL+a centre in 4 moves...

If the top centre goes to L or R, there will always be some way of forcing a centre in two sledges/hedges. If one centre is already solved just do double sledge or double hedge. If a centre can go opposite, then just do a single hedge/sledge.

I've used this modified version of "Sarah's method" since 2010. I don't even force the top centre always on cat2s as cat2s can sometimes be done with 4 moves instead.

I will try to make a video when I get home but seriously, this is very easy.

Two questions (this should be about hardware but this is skewb discussion)

1. How can I get off the corner caps for the Lanlan skewb (on the rotating axes)? Those things are impossible to get off with a razor blade.
2. Good Z-Perm?

2. Triple hedge/sledge with no rotation. Not as good for Sarah's pure method because you'll need a one move setup every time. But if you use "my" version of CLL+any other centre this alg is great.

I solve H-perm and Z-perm with setups to triple sexy.

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
How many cases are there when the layer and top center are solved? Because I plan to learn those.

Z: 5
H: 3
U: 17
Solved: 3, 1 is solved

A lot, and that's pretty inefficient. If you want to learn a lot of cases that's a bad choice. Look up Ranzha's method. Learn all cases where the layer+back centre is solved instead.
That's why I use hacks! No way in hell am I learning algs for 74 cases.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 19792

First, I plan on learning Skewb Ranzha inspired me :)

Second, if I end up failing, I will use my skewb as a weapon. A gun, infact. SKEWB GUN!

cubizh

WCA
2014GOME07
YouTube
Visit Channel
3x3 cross can be done in 8 or fewer moves. I am curious if anyone made a similar study regarding placing the first 4 corners around one center. What's the average/max optimal movecount?

TheDubDubJr

Cupcake
WCA
2011WELC01
YouTube
Visit Channel
3x3 cross can be done in 8 or fewer moves. I am curious if anyone made a similar study regarding placing the first 4 corners around one center. What's the average/max optimal movecount?

I would be interested in this also. Also what is the average/max optimal movecount for just making one layer (solved or opposites).

It would be similar to differences between 3x3 One-Color Cross and Color Neutral Crosses, but would it make much difference for skewb?

tx789

WCA
2010HUNT02
YouTube
Visit Channel
The tps on Skewb is like 1.5. I'd like to sub 10. I use a mixture of Ranzha and Sarah's method depending on weather there's a Welder Mask or not. And I never solve the face on U. I think if my tps was better I'd be faster. I average 17-28 gobally. My singles range from 10-25.

Ranzha

Friendly, Neighbourhoodly
WCA
2009HARN01
YouTube
Visit Channel
The tps on Skewb is like 1.5. I'd like to sub 10. I use a mixture of Ranzha and Sarah's method depending on weather there's a Welder Mask or not. And I never solve the face on U. I think if my tps was better I'd be faster. I average 17-28 gobally. My singles range from 10-25.

If people would like, I can translate L4C and CLL to Sarah notation

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
If people would like, I can translate L4C and CLL to Sarah notation

That would be pretty good. Currently I'm using R'FRF' x' RF'R'F x R'FRF' for H-perm ("Sarah notation", 12 moves, which I worked out with just sledge/hedge and can do in about 3.5s, but I saw an 8 move H-perm on Meep's site, from memory it's RU'LU'R'LU'L (FCN) which takes over 4 seconds for me to do. Why was FCN chosen in the first place (with the UF corner fixed). Why not have FCN with the BD corner fixed? ("Sarah" notation).

<RUFL> or <RFDL>

And as a side note, this should not be referred to as Sarah notation, she did not invent it.

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
And as a side note, this should not be referred to as Sarah notation, she did not invent it.

http://rubikskewb.web.fc2.com/skewb/notation.html

This is Hideki Niina's site. He developed his skewb method over 5 years ago. The notation I used on my site to describe the sledgehammer and hedgeslammmer match his notation. If you want to name the notation, you should probably name it after him. :)

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
http://rubikskewb.web.fc2.com/skewb/notation.html

This is Hideki Niina's site. He developed his skewb method over 5 years ago. The notation I used on my site to describe the sledgehammer and hedgeslammmer match his notation. If you want to name the notation, you should probably name it after him. :)

I'd prefer that :tu

No offense to you ofcourse, but it's quite an obvious notation so has probably been "invented" by numerous people.

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
[12:10] <+Tim_Major> cubizh: afaik, no one has done first layer movecount analysis for skewb
[12:34] <+cubizh> Tim_Major, so how many moves should I think it's ok for first layer?

I did 12 solves, here was my first layer movecount;

7.00, 7.00, 7.00, 4.00, 1.00, 8.00, 3.00, 7.00, 6.00, 4.00, 6.00, 6.00

5.70 average. How does this compare to you Sarah?

Sa967St

Not A Moderator
WCA
2007STRO01
YouTube
Visit Channel
[12:10] <+Tim_Major> cubizh: afaik, no one has done first layer movecount analysis for skewb
[12:34] <+cubizh> Tim_Major, so how many moves should I think it's ok for first layer?

I did 12 solves, here was my first layer movecount;

7.00, 7.00, 7.00, 4.00, 1.00, 8.00, 3.00, 7.00, 6.00, 4.00, 6.00, 6.00

5.70 average. How does this compare to you Sarah?

What scrambles did you use?

Tim Major

Platinum Member
WCA
2010MAJO01
What scrambles did you use?

25 move Skewb scrambles from qqtimer. I don't have them now because I'm doing timed solves sorry. Apart from the 1 and the 3, they were pretty standard. Two of them had no corners attached to a centre (as in, all faces just had a centre then different coloured corners attached)

They were the ONLY 12 scrambles I did so I assume it's about average.

Last edited: