• Welcome to the Speedsolving.com, home of the web's largest puzzle community!
    You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features.

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community of 40,000+ people from around the world today!

If you are already a member, simply login to hide this message and begin participating in the community!

[AsR] Seung Hyuk Nahm - 3x3 4.90 Single and 6.43 Average

TDM

WCA
2013MEND03
YouTube
Visit Channel
Video of single

D2 B2 R2 U' R2 U' B2 R2 D' R D2 L' B' D' R' B L' F' D2 U'

y' x r' R F' U2' L' U L' D2' // X-Cross (8/8)
U U' R U' R' // F2L-2 (5/13)
R' U' R y U R U' R' // F2L-3 (7/20)
y2 U U R U' R' y' R' U' R // F2L-4 (8/28)
U' R U R' U' M' U R U' r' U // LL (11/39)
42 ETM, 8.57 ETPS.

View on
alg.cubing.net

efattah

On the 4.90 he did a bunch of stuff like U U' and y2 rotation! But most amazing was that he finished the solve with an ELL algorithm. I assume not many cubers even know ELL...?

EmperorZant

WCA
2015LAUE01
YouTube
Visit Channel
On the 4.90 he did a bunch of stuff like U U' and y2 rotation! But most amazing was that he finished the solve with an ELL algorithm. I assume not many cubers even know ELL...?
It's more that ELL is hard to recognize and some of the cases have really bad algs, so most top cubers opt for OLL --> EPLL, as that's usually pretty fast anyway. Some of the more obvious ELL cases (like pure flips, H-Perm, bar cases, etc.) are worth learning, but others are a bit hard to become consistent at.
It's also a 1LLL variant, so you don't see many ELL cases to begin with, which makes them even harder to practice. I honestly forget about ELL quite often lol

efattah

It's more that ELL is hard to recognize and some of the cases have really bad algs, so most top cubers opt for OLL --> EPLL, as that's usually pretty fast anyway. Some of the more obvious ELL cases (like pure flips, H-Perm, bar cases, etc.) are worth learning, but others are a bit hard to become consistent at.
It's also a 1LLL variant, so you don't see many ELL cases to begin with, which makes them even harder to practice. I honestly forget about ELL quite often lol

This was exactly the same ELL algorithm that Hyo-Min used on his 4.94 single. The odds of a last layer that can be solved with an ELL are 162-1 (same as CLL skip). So ELL doesn't seem that useful of a set for CFOP, although I use it in LMCF I was surprised to see several top times finish with ELL's especially with super fast recognition times.

obelisk477

WCA
2009BATT01
YouTube
Visit Channel

That's my standard OLL for that case. Although I usually recognize that it will skip since it's easy to see that CP is solved. I imagine this is true for him as well?

Reactions: TDM

efattah

That's my standard OLL for that case. Although I usually recognize that it will skip since it's easy to see that CP is solved. I imagine this is true for him as well?

Ah I see so that is a normal OLL then and can just result in an accidental skip? So I suppose no ELL recognition is necessary then.