S-0, Designs of the Community (Next Puzzle Announcement!)

Discussion in 'Puzzle Building, Modding, & Designing' started by Sion, Apr 18, 2016.

Welcome to the Speedsolving.com. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to join discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community of over 30,000 people, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us and we'll help you get started. We look forward to seeing you on the forums!

Already a member? Login to stop seeing this message.

What should this new cube be?

Poll closed May 19, 2016.
  1. S-0 Quasar

7 vote(s)
    31.8%
  2. S-0 Tempest

11 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. S-0 Stratus

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  4. S-0 Air

2 vote(s)
    9.1%
  1. IamSpeedcubing

IamSpeedcubing Member

Mar 8, 2016
    We are sorry, but we are not allowed to share specifics publicly here by qiyi.

2. David Jiang

David Jiang Member

May 3, 2016
    Hi there, I want to get into puzzle designing. What application would be the best for designing a puzzle. How do I design a puzzle. How do I get plastic to mold it. How do I mold it.

3. Abo

Abo Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Personally when designing and modeling, I like autodesk inventor, mainly because I know how to use it, from school and challenges in robotics and stuff. As for producing puzzles, 3D printing is the best way to produce prototypes, or actual puzzles for a normal person, and molding is really not a commercial activity, so yea.
    Unless, you are talking about using sculpting putty for things like mods, then you mold pieces, but by hand and then sanding down

4. Sion

Sion Member

Dec 13, 2015
    New York
    Shoutout to DGCubes for mentioning us on the recent DIsone Podcast! Your support is heavily appreciated :)

5. DGCubes

DGCubes Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Over there
    WCA:
    2013GOOD01
    YouTube:
    DGCubes
    Thanks! :D
    You guys deserve it; the work and dedication in this thread is admirable. :)

Sion and Abo like this.
  6. Sion

Sion Member

Dec 13, 2015
    New York
    So! second prototype. much more of a success!

We realized, most flaws are only because it is 3d printed. we hope to get better stuff soon!

RennuR likes this.
  7. Sion

Sion Member

Dec 13, 2015
    New York
    So... I have a few short announcements.

First off, we are now starting a troubleshoot with Qiyi on our designs. I'm not disclosing any info such as mech yet, mainly on QiYi's request and that it is still underdeveloped.

Right now, i'm talking with QiYi so S-0 can actually be a real sub division of the Qiyi Company.

Also, I'm starting to work on an S-0 Skewb, and an S-0 2x2. Again, this is all early stage stuff, and right now i'm brainstorming ideas to share with my team on those puzzles.

I just want to explain what the goal of S-0 is going to be if QiYi accepts S-0. Our goal is to create puzzles with unique mechanisms that push limits and can only be described as daring and innovative. We are experimenting with all sorts of interesting design elements that aren't found on most cubes, and trying to set new trends in the cubing community.

8. Matt11111

Matt11111 Member

Jun 30, 2014
    Probably my room
    WCA:
    2014PINN02
    YouTube:
    Matt11111
  9. When I first saw this thread, I kinda blew it off as a wild dream... It would appear that I stand corrected. Good job guys!

10. wir3sandfir3s

wir3sandfir3s Member

Mar 24, 2016
    Under the hanging piano.
    YouTube:
    Not A Cuber
    Woah same as biscuit... Saw this a while back and laughed a bit, but now it looks very possible...

11. genericcuber666

genericcuber666 Member

Aug 5, 2016
    so is the feeling going to be meiying like from what ive read its fast and airy right?

12. Sion

Sion Member

Dec 13, 2015
    New York
    Well, it's in the early stages. I hopened it has a feeling that is sort of like a hybrid between a guangying and weilong.

13. IamSpeedcubing

IamSpeedcubing Member

Mar 8, 2016
    Hey Sion, just moved and internet etc. is not fully ready, so sorry I was not able to help out in designing recently. Will get back to you on skype. Also, yeah, progress!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  14. Sion

Sion Member

Dec 13, 2015
    New York
    So everyone!

I think while we're in the middle of adjusting the tempest, we should start making blueprints on other puzzles.

Put a hashtag next to the puzzle you want to see next. If you want to see some non WCA puzzles, Place #NonWCA
    in your post.

15. DGCubes

DGCubes Member

Feb 14, 2014
    Over there
    WCA:
    2013GOOD01
    YouTube:
    DGCubes
  16. #notPyraminx

17. Sion

Sion Member

Dec 13, 2015
    New York
    Please put what you want instead of what you don't want. Thank You.

18. PenguinsDontFly

PenguinsDontFly Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Ottawa, Canada
    WCA:
    2015MANS03
    YouTube:
    P3NGU1N5D0NTFLY
    #2x2
    Try to design a 2x2 that has equal performance on every layer. Moyu 2x2s have a weird aligning mech, causing opposite layers to perform differently. One side will be slower and will allow for less cornercutting, while the opposite side will be faster and will corner cut more. My theory is that this is what causes 2x2s to be catchy. The locking mech of the dayan is the best one I've seen yet. I suggest that you try something like that, and then develop the specific edge and corner designs from there on. (Smooth feel is also preferred by most cubers).

WACWCA likes this.
  19. WACWCA

WACWCA Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Maryland
    WCA:
    2012CALL01
    YouTube:
    Will Callan
    #2x2 And I agree with what PDF said

PenguinsDontFly likes this.
  20. #2x2
    If u can make it feel like a mix between a fangshi and a dayan about make it really fast and an option for 55mm